The future!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
When CPJ first got here, the thought was that dual threat QBs would come here because other schools wouldn't want them at QB.

Kinda like....someone with the initials JT?

Fwiw....in my lifetime, GT has never had an outstanding drop back, pure passing QB. Closest I can recall were Dewberry and Strom. All of our great ones have been dual threat types as far as I can remember. (I consider Goose a dual threat btw but he might be the closest exception to my contention). We have never had, and are unlikely to land, a Peyton Manning type QB. So our system better be able to utilize what we can and have landed.

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
I have Swarm tickets in 217. I'm looking forward to increased energy of the fans over the prime seats I was in last year. My wife got up tight when I was yelling and everyone else was sitting. So she'd happy too that we are moving....... we are planning to go to 2 games and my daughter some of the others. I'll give away tickets rather than not have them be used! GTAA is adding a lot of perqs for season ticket holders. If anyone wants to talk to the GTAA to get tickets, call Jessica Martin at (404) 385-0325.

Thanks. I will give her a call

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Every fan base has a faction of strong discontent. Just ask Mark Richt. Saban is the currently the most highly regarded HC in college ball. They are on a roll right now but it will eventually end. If he were to have a 7-8 win season.....the Bama blogs and fan base would become very noisy with critics wanting to look for a replacement. B2B 7-8 win seasons...that sentiment would become close to a consensus.

As much as I'd like it to be otherwise....those who doubt or dislike will always make noise for change.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Kinda like....someone with the initials JT?

Fwiw....in my lifetime, GT has never had an outstanding drop back, pure passing QB. Closest I can recall were Dewberry and Strom. All of our great ones have been dual threat types as far as I can remember. (I consider Goose a dual threat btw but he might be the closest exception to my contention). We have never had, and are unlikely to land, a Peyton Manning type QB. So our system better be able to utilize what we can and have landed.

Yup. Can't remember a flat out drop back passer leading us to the promise land like Shawn Jones/Joe Ham/Nesbitt did. Really wish Donnie Davis would have had to chance to play QB under Friedgen...man he was so talented. Of course Gailey was able to recruit Renfree and Threet but a little too late...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Remember, CPJ is his own OC, so you have to buy two coaches if you replace him. What two high quality coaches, one being a HC and the other being an OC, are you gonna buy for 2.5 mil? Just for reference, Dabo + Morris = 3.3

We have 9 assistant coaches, which is the max, so we're getting another coach elsewhere since we don't have an OC.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Be as it may with this schedule if GT doesn't win 8+ games CPJ needs to go, it just wouldn't be working anymore. I think bringing excitement/sexy to the program would be a big help & maybe the hurry up can do that. Cook offense was known for being uptempo & generating explosive plays maybe CPJ incorporated some of his strategies into the offense he's said in past interviews we'd notice the changes. Either way this is an important year for CPJ & the GT program. The predictions have us as heavy underdogs & we've lost a lot of depth on defense but no more excuses. Contrary to many I want CPJ to succeed because that means GT is succeeding. But honestly I've lost faith in him these past 3 seasons.
I haven't met many GT fans that desire some kind of "pro-style" offense most I've meet think a spread would work fine.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
@ATL1 I think our offense is plenty explosive and exciting. I don't look to football for sexy.

If our offense continues to be efficient, and oyr D shows improvement then that means more to me than record (but would mean we probably win 8+.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just because a coach is making X amount of dollars doesn't mean the next coach is going to make the same amount of money. Just look at what CPJ got paid his first year compared to what Gailey made his last year...then the bump CPJ got soon after his first year.

GT may not be richest program, but we're not poor either. You have to understand, a large chunk of CPJ's salary is made up of various fees like coach's show, appearances, etc.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I seem to remember somebody. Wait a minute … it'll come to me. Oh, yeah. Mike Kelly, one of our all time best in passing yardage. We've had guys who could get back there and fling it, alright.