The future!

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I was talking about regular seasons. I don't think anybody in his right mind would expect to always win bowl games. The whole point there is to match teams with roughly equal talent and records.

Oh, and BW, we're on to that secret identity thing. Sooner or later we expect to see the Bat here.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
I have to agree with this. I want us to have a great season. I am sure everyone on here wants that, except for those that completely cannot stand CPJ.

That being said, imo I don't think Bobinski will retain CPJ if we have a bad season.
I don't understand his someone could call themselves a fan, but want the program to lose, because they don't like the coach.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How do any of us really know what it will take for Bobinski to retain Johnson? I'm pretty sure he isn't sharing that with the masses. I feel pretty sure this year is a decision year given the contract and a need for extension etc, but what it will take is anybody's guess. Personally, I think the formula is going to be a lot more complicated than simple wins and losses. If our current youngsters start to show out and the current recruiting class is indeed highly regarded, it will pretty tough to upset that apple cart regardless of a mediocre record. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't want to have a good class crumble because of a coaching change. In any case, I just want to enjoy this football season with a total disregard for consequences to the HC, either way. That drama will not enhance my fan experience in the least bit.

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
Well said. A very complicated decision ripe with effects unknown. That is just yet another reason to not focus on it and hope GT players and coaches can achieve their ceiling on the field. And I will finish my post with THWG!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If we don't win this year CPJ isn't getting another chance...who knows that the magic number is. But we have to win this year.

IMHO not only do we have to have a winning season, but we have to do something to make people excited and get butts in the seats. It's about making money and having a buzz (sic) around the program. I hope we do - we are undefeated right now. (tic)

I got season tickets for $100. Those seats should be filled most games which is what is important (I'll give them away here if they aren't.) But the GTAA is desperate to sell tcikets (again IMHO). Admittedly my tickets are upper end-zone upper level (Swarm), but I sat at the 48 yard line about 30 rows back last year and the people didn't give a damn about the game. This year everyone else will be standing and give a damn about the game. But we need a stadium full of people to make it worth paying CPJ $2.5M a year. Roof would probably be less compensation and bring in more GT people since he is one of us.

TomOReilly

Jolly Good Fellow
For the record, is there a certain end-zone section (215?) that many of the GTSwarm are booking? I am about to get my season tickets and would like to sit with/near GTSwarm over some high school band! I have had season tickets a few years ago, have gone to virtually every game for years, but now, my son is at GT and I may need to ride solo into the stadium a few times.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'm in section 215 in the North End Zone. Same seats last 2 years. Mine are the $200 tickets though, so I am not quite as nosebleed. (Front row of the upper deck) :) Would love to meet up with some fellow Swarm members this year. Currently plan on being at every home game except the Duke game.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I've been told by a couple of people whom I REALLY trust would know that Johnson has to win the Coastal this year.

Sebastian GT

Jolly Good Fellow
I've been told by a couple of people whom I REALLY trust would know that Johnson has to win the Coastal this year.
The Ugag game will weigh heavy whether we win the Coastal or not however he might have a chance to survive another loss to the mutts if we do in fact win the division. Maybe 50/50 in that scenario.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
...If our current youngsters start to show out and the current recruiting class is indeed highly regarded, it will pretty tough to upset that apple cart regardless of a mediocre record. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't want to have a good class crumble because of a coaching change. In any case, I just want to enjoy this football season with a total disregard for consequences to the HC, either way. That drama will not enhance my fan experience in the least bit.

It didn't stop the moron class from getting their way last time.

Tdippp

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm in section 215 in the North End Zone. Same seats last 2 years. Mine are the $200 tickets though, so I am not quite as nosebleed. (Front row of the upper deck) :) Would love to meet up with some fellow Swarm members this year. Currently plan on being at every home game except the Duke game.
I'll be in the same section

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think I remember reading somewhere that in CPJ's entire career as a coach he has only had 3 losing seasons. The man is consistent if nothing else. I think we may be in the wind up for another run of strong seasons in a year or two.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll be looking for others to meet up with as I will be solo this year as well. West stands section 225...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If our current youngsters start to show out and the current recruiting class is indeed highly regarded, it will pretty tough to upset that apple cart regardless of a mediocre record. I'm pretty sure we wouldn't want to have a good class crumble because of a coaching change.

See Gailey & his 2008 class. I think a lot of people knew the 2007 class was going to be VERY promising (Dwyer showing out early, Nesbitt contributing in a "changeup" QB role, DJ Donnley contributing, Morgan Burnett making plays, Derrick Morgan contributing), and his 2008 class was shaping up to be a pretty decent class...not 2007 level, but pretty good compared to his past classes with Sean Renfree coming to be the QB GT was missing during Gailey's tenure.

Point is, AD's don't make coaching decisions based on recruits and the roster situation. Those things ebb and flow, but if an AD can get a good coach in, the belief is that coach can change the complexion of the program for the long run (see Bobby Ross, George O'Leary). At the end of the day, CPJ's ultimate fate will rest in how many wins, $$$ from big donors, and attendance. Gailey wasn't fired because he was losing, in fact he never had a losing season, but unrest from the fans and big $$$ donors unwilling to give money until they got their return on the field ultimately lead to Radakovich cutting ties and CPJ today. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes beyond just wins and losses. It won't be just Bobinski making the decision.

I think Bobinski has been pretty clear about a two things: He will not accept mediocrity (mediocre defined by him is ?), and he will not accept excuses regardless of GT academics. He's made those points in several interviews. Read into that what you will, but it's pretty obvious he's giving CPJ all the tools he can to succeed (larger recruiting staff, larger recruiting budget, enhanced media presence, etc.) and he expects results commiserate to those investments.

This season will be more interesting in more ways than what happens on the field.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
See Gailey & his 2008 class. I think a lot of people knew the 2007 class was going to be VERY promising (Dwyer showing out early, Nesbitt contributing in a "changeup" QB role, DJ Donnley contributing, Morgan Burnett making plays, Derrick Morgan contributing), and his 2008 class was shaping up to be a pretty decent class...not 2007 level, but pretty good compared to his past classes with Sean Renfree coming to be the QB GT was missing during Gailey's tenure.

Point is, AD's don't make coaching decisions based on recruits and the roster situation. Those things ebb and flow, but if an AD can get a good coach in, the belief is that coach can change the complexion of the program for the long run (see Bobby Ross, George O'Leary). At the end of the day, CPJ's ultimate fate will rest in how many wins, $$$ from big donors, and attendance. Gailey wasn't fired because he was losing, in fact he never had a losing season, but unrest from the fans and big $$$ donors unwilling to give money until they got their return on the field ultimately lead to Radakovich cutting ties and CPJ today. There's a lot that goes on behind the scenes beyond just wins and losses. It won't be just Bobinski making the decision.

I think Bobinski has been pretty clear about a two things: He will not accept mediocrity (mediocre defined by him is ?), and he will not accept excuses regardless of GT academics. He's made those points in several interviews. Read into that what you will, but it's pretty obvious he's giving CPJ all the tools he can to succeed (larger recruiting staff, larger recruiting budget, enhanced media presence, etc.) and he expects results commiserate to those investments.

This season will be more interesting in more ways than what happens on the field.
Well said.
One thing I do remember was the numbers of players who tried to jump ship when CPJ came to Tech. He lost a few and it was touch and go with several players who were our biggest stars later.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
For the record, is there a certain end-zone section (215?) that many of the GTSwarm are booking? I am about to get my season tickets and would like to sit with/near GTSwarm over some high school band! I have had season tickets a few years ago, have gone to virtually every game for years, but now, my son is at GT and I may need to ride solo into the stadium a few times.
Gold Zone Section 215 Row 22.

GravyTrain

Georgia Tech Fan

I've seen this said on other GT message boards and I'm just not buying it. Consider this: We end up 10-2 or 9-3 and fail to win the coastal due to a VT or Miami winning the head-to-head tiebreaker or having a better conference record. According to your sources, CPJ would be fired in this scenario. I think we'd be crazy to do so. It's too narrow a metric, IMO.

Instead, I think GT's contention for the ACC Coastal division will be one of many factors that will be considered by Bobinski at the end of the season. Others would most likely include our overall record, how competitive our team was on the field (especially in losses), and Bobinski's faith in PJ to find/sustain a winning program moving forward.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Consider this: We end up 10-2 or 9-3 and fail to win the coastal due to a VT or Miami winning the head-to-head tiebreaker or having a better conference record.

Looking at how things have panned out, that is not an unlikely situation we could find ourselves in. It's going to be hard to beat all of the Big 4 at once, but beating 2 can mean we have a great season but don't win the Coastal. Then what? Stay the course or burn it down a start over?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
IMHO not only do we have to have a winning season, but we have to do something to make people excited and get butts in the seats. It's about making money and having a buzz (sic) around the program. I hope we do - we are undefeated right now. (tic)

I got season tickets for $100. Those seats should be filled most games which is what is important (I'll give them away here if they aren't.) But the GTAA is desperate to sell tcikets (again IMHO). Admittedly my tickets are upper end-zone upper level (Swarm), but I sat at the 48 yard line about 30 rows back last year and the people didn't give a damn about the game. This year everyone else will be standing and give a damn about the game. But we need a stadium full of people to make it worth paying CPJ $2.5M a year. Roof would probably be less compensation and bring in more GT people since he is one of us.
Remember, CPJ is his own OC, so you have to buy two coaches if you replace him. What two high quality coaches, one being a HC and the other being an OC, are you gonna buy for 2.5 mil? Just for reference, Dabo + Morris = 3.3