The Future

Techster

Helluva Engineer

His development will be interesting. His HS highlights show him with good range for a 7 footer, and he'll get Reveno's big man coaching. Right now he needs to gain a LOT of strength in the upper body...and he seems to be slow to rotate over on defense. He needs to be a physical presence down low. Good thing is those things can be improved on over time. You can't teach 7+ foot, and getting someone with that length that can handle the ball and shoot from the 3 isn't an everyday thing on the college level.

You also have to be excited about how he can combine with the shooters we have coming in, and the guards we have now and next year. Give it to Pastner and our staff, they are getting REALLY good talent to stack and back up their get old stay old mantra. As a GT fan, you have to be really excited seeing how well we're playing this season, and seeing how all the pieces will fit over the next 2-3 years.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
His development will be interesting. His HS highlights show him with good range for a 7 footer, and he'll get Reveno's big man coaching. Right now he needs to gain a LOT of strength in the upper body...and he seems to be slow to rotate over on defense. He needs to be a physical presence down low. Good thing is those things can be improved on over time. You can't teach 7+ foot, and getting someone with that length that can handle the ball and shoot from the 3 isn't an everyday thing on the college level.

You also have to be excited about how he can combine with the shooters we have coming in, and the guards we have now and next year. Give it to Pastner and our staff, they are getting REALLY good talent to stack and back up their get old stay old mantra. As a GT fan, you have to be really excited seeing how well we're playing this season, and seeing how all the pieces will fit over the next 2-3 years.
Yes, he's thinking a lot. He'll be a load when the moves become instinctive.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
IMO the biggest factor of how much we fall off next year is going to be how well Saba develops between now and then.

His potential on offense is certainly enticing especially with him working with coach Rev. Great size, and while he's fairly slow footed he's coordinated enough where he can put the ball on the floor and use his size to drive on big men who may not be used to dealing with guys his size trying to drive on them. He also has nice touch on his shots and showed in highschool at least the ability to pass. Once he develops he's going to be a match up issue for opposing teams. Just a matter of how long that take him to get there in my opinion.

My guess is next year we will start something like

Sturdivant, Devoe, and Coleman in the back court with Maxwell and Kelly coming off the bench. Now there is obviously a different dynamic in play but it wouldn't surprise me to see that group play at a similar level as our guards this year. More reliant on raw talent vs experience, but even then Sturdivant and Devoe would bring a good amount of experience as well. The issue comes with how do we compliment that group. We'd likely start something like Khalid at the 4 and Howard at the 5 based on what we've seen this year. That would be an alright group defensively but I would question if we would have enough offense. We'd basically need our guards to all show up, or at least 3, pretty much every game unless one of Moore or Howard took a leap. But if Saba could have the type of development that Moses had going into last year where he just gave us a consistent ~12 ish then that would do wonders towards balancing that lineup as his skill set would give us the option of going double big man looks or putting him at the 4 with Moore at the 4 for better wing defense.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to how he, and Howard, develop under coach Rev with his track record.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
IMO the biggest factor of how much we fall off next year is going to be how well Saba develops between now and then.

His potential on offense is certainly enticing especially with him working with coach Rev. Great size, and while he's fairly slow footed he's coordinated enough where he can put the ball on the floor and use his size to drive on big men who may not be used to dealing with guys his size trying to drive on them. He also has nice touch on his shots and showed in highschool at least the ability to pass. Once he develops he's going to be a match up issue for opposing teams. Just a matter of how long that take him to get there in my opinion.

Sturdivant, Devoe, and Coleman in the back court with Maxwell and Kelly coming off the bench. Now there is obviously a different dynamic in play but it wouldn't surprise me to see that group play at a similar level as our guards this year. More reliant on raw talent vs experience, but even then Sturdivant and Devoe would bring a good amount of experience as well. The issue comes with how do we compliment that group. We'd likely start something like Khalid at the 4 and Howard at the 5 based on what we've seen this year. That would be an alright group defensively but I would question if we would have enough offense. We'd basically need our guards to all show up, or at least 3, pretty much every game unless one of Moore or Howard took a leap. But if Saba could have the type of development that Moses had going into last year where he just gave us a consistent ~12 ish then that would do wonders towards balancing that lineup as his skill set would give us the option of going double big man looks or putting him at the 4 with Moore at the 4 for better wing defense.

In any case, I'm really looking forward to how he, and Howard, develop under coach Rev with his track record.
A grad transfer big would be huge

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure we need a grad transfer big. Both Howard and Saba will have had their "development" year under Reveno. I think next year they should be ready to play more minutes and give us a nice tandem at the 5. If these guys develop like past big men under Reveno then we should be fine.

Lightbulb

Jolly Good Fellow
Does the NCAA "free year" apply to basketball as well? I was assuming so. And if that's the case, what are our chances of seeing Moses and Jose back for another season?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Does the NCAA "free year" apply to basketball as well? I was assuming so. And if that's the case, what are our chances of seeing Moses and Jose back for another season?

I believe so, and I doubt anyone has any insight into what they are thinking.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Could anyone see a potential starting lineup with Howard and Saba starting with Moore coming of the bench? If they develop as expected, we could see a lite version of Ivan Joseph and John Salley next year. I also like the energy that Moore brings off the bench and he may be better suited for that role. He would definitely get the minutes.

It is still possible that Usher may consider coming back given he will have the option. I think Wright should go and make money, if not stateside then in Europe. He is a possibility to stay however I wouldn't bet on it.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Could anyone see a potential starting lineup with Howard and Saba starting with Moore coming of the bench? If they develop as expected, we could see a lite version of Ivan Joseph and John Salley next year. I also like the energy that Moore brings off the bench and he may be better suited for that role. He would definitely get the minutes.

It is still possible that Usher may consider coming back given he will have the option. I think Wright should go and make money, if not stateside then in Europe. He is a possibility to stay however I wouldn't bet on it.
I highly doubt it. I see them both as 5's. Defensively I don't think either could guard a college 4, which these days tend to play more on the perimeter. I also don't think the offense would flow as nicely. The strength of next years team will be the perimeter. In addition to Sturdivant, Devoe, and Moore, you have Maxwell, Coleman, and Kelly. That is a lot of talented guys that can handle the ball and shoot.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
To me, the vision for Saba is the big we are playing against Saturday. Huff is a long, somewhat quick but smart 5 who can hit a 3 on a pop out. It basically means the opposing 5 cannot help on drives and is a big part of the modern spread/drive/kick offense. If he can defensively hold down the fort he would be a big help for the guards/wings we have coming in.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

I think you’re forgetting that all of these guys retain eligibility if they want to. We could get Moses and Jose back.

yjfan

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone think/hope Usher returns to lead the team with Devoe?
i know i wrote that question awhile back- would love to see it happen
sturdivant, devoe, coleman, usher, howard
bench kelly,maxwell,meka, jalon, kevon, saba
man thats a solid team

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
I have no inside knowledge, but I would think Usher has a shot to come back given that he’s only had 1.5 years here. I’m not expecting Jose or Moses to return

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I think that next yr is too soon for either Siba or Howard to be a real force .Howard played 3 mins vs clem and got a foul and a TO only. Siba got a 3 pt but I would I wouldn't depend on that.It would be good to have a big grad transfer to let these guys mature.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Howard will be a junior next year
If he hadn't gotten it by then he never will. I think a full year under Reveno and he and Saba will be ready to contribute. We will really just need them to play good defense and rebound.