The Future

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Just created a new avatar.

CGC and our other coaches got these two guys to come here. They are the future.

Mason should be playing and Jamious is another reason we have quality depth at a skill position.

We’ve been depleted by injuries and the loss of Cochran on the lines. This is still a building year. I have actually been surprised by the OL and DL lines. We are close but lack at a few positions(TE & LB)

One is due to injuries but the other position I think we may have more athletics guys but they aren’t “prepared” yet.

Justmy drunk opinion

Deleted member 2897

Honestly I’ll take the contrarian position and say we’ve been close this year. Q4/Q1 of UCF/Syracuse - about a 25 minute continuous block out of our 180 minutes of football was a -37 point differential.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
I think at times this we’ve shown that we have talent to win games on this roster, and some areas show some good coaching has taken place. However, we’ve also had issues with penalties and have on several occasions completely fallen apart against mediocre teams. After 11 years with one of the best in-game coaches around, it was almost certain we would take a step back in that department, but it appears to me our game management is worse than I feared. To this staff’s credit, they have recruited some difference makers. Let’s hope the they can fix the glaring coaching issues and it all comes together.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Once upon a time when I was young, I went into a Waffle House at 03:00 hours. Being that time of night, my 285 lb waitress even looked good to me.

At that time of my life, especially while under the infuence, I fell in love quite easily with anyone who would call me "honey" or just 'hon"and brought me waffles, bacon and coffee. Unless that person had a beard or facial hair of any sort. ;)

slugboy

Staff member
At that time of my life, especially while under the infuence, I fell in love quite easily with anyone who would call me "honey" or just 'hon"and brought me waffles, bacon and coffee. Unless that person had a beard or facial hair of any sort. ;)
The jokes are too easy after that last line...

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Guess my point was that we are still a couple years away from being able to tell what we have with the young guys we have recruited.

I do like CGC and the “culture” that he has set up. It gets old to listen to but I think it’s true that he cares a lot about these guys.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah. No worries. I was just drunk and bored and remembered I had that pic to use in my avatar.

Wasn’t that great of a post honestly.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Just gotta give it time. I’ve been pissed last 2 weeks like everyone else but I’m starting to refocus on the bigger picture. Tech fans are so entitled and expect instant success when we can’t even put 40,000 of our OWN fans in the seats. It’s gonna take time, I just want the mistakes cleaned up.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Mistakes are the most disappointing so far. I expect them from Sims because he is so new to this level. The sky is the limit with him and we will forget the beginning. IMO.
But it seems we were out talented by UCF , and out coached/prepared against SU. I really think somehow the team was overconfident because SU had played so poorly up until then. That's poor coaching and senior leadership, IMO. CGC took the blame , as he should have.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Mistakes are the most disappointing so far. I expect them from Sims because he is so new to this level. The sky is the limit with him and we will forget the beginning. IMO.
But it seems we were out talented by UCF , and out coached/prepared against SU. I really think somehow the team was overconfident because SU had played so poorly up until then. That's poor coaching and senior leadership, IMO. CGC took the blame , as he should have.
I think there’s a lot of parallels so far between last year’s team and this year’s team.

Both lost to a superior team by large amounts, but the score final score wasn’t really indicative of how the team performed throughout the game. Both teams matched up pretty well in the first half, but were simply outmanned in the second half. (UCF ‘20 & Clemson ‘19)

Both won very close games vs. inferior opponents, and both games could’ve very easily went either way. (FSU ‘20 & USF ‘19

Both teams were embarrassed by inferior opponents. Lacked discipline and made way too many mistakes (Syracuse ‘20 & El Cid ‘19)

Both teams got a bye week after being embarrassed and get a chance to play a pretty evenly matched opponent. (Louisville ‘20 & Temple ‘19)

We know how that 2019 team performed coming off a bye week after getting embarrassed. How the team plays against Louisville will have a pretty large impact on the fan base’s perception of the coaching staff and team. A Friday night home game on national TV under the Atlanta lights, coming off a bye week. There’s no excuses if the team looks ill-prepared or comes out and plays flat like they did against Syracuse. I don’t think a win is necessary, especially if the defense is still going to be down important guys, and the TEs aren’t back, but they have to come out and look prepared and ready to go. I’ll be very disappointed if they don’t.

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I think there’s a lot of parallels so far between last year’s team and this year’s team.

Both lost to a superior team by large amounts, but the score final score wasn’t really indicative of how the team performed throughout the game. Both teams matched up pretty well in the first half, but were simply outmanned in the second half. (UCF ‘20 & Clemson ‘19)

Both won very close games vs. inferior opponents, and both games could’ve very easily went either way. (FSU ‘20 & USF ‘19

Both teams were embarrassed by inferior opponents. Lacked discipline and made way too many mistakes (Syracuse ‘20 & El Cid ‘19)

Both teams got a bye week after being embarrassed and get a chance to play a pretty evenly matched opponent. (Louisville ‘20 & Temple ‘19)

We know how that 2019 team performed coming off a bye week after getting embarrassed. How the team plays against Louisville will have a pretty large impact on the fan base’s perception of the coaching staff and team. A Friday night home game on national TV under the Atlanta lights, coming off a bye week. There’s no excuses if the team looks ill-prepared or comes out and plays flat like they did against Syracuse. I don’t think a win is necessary, especially if the defense is still going to be down important guys, and the TEs aren’t back, but they have to come out and look prepared and ready to go. I’ll be very disappointed if they don’t.
++++

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer

This is a good post. I think that Syracuse was up for that game. I hope that we come home and play that way for Louisville. It’ll get the sour taste out of our mouth.

I’ll be there with some of my buddies for my “bachelor party”. Stoked that they are selling beer!!

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
IMO the downside of Collins' hire is limited by the fact that he has been improving recruiting slowly but surely.

Key is a good OL coach, so I think the line would be in better shape for a future staff should Collins not work out (I'd think Key himself would be a candidate). Strength and conditioning has been strong, so next staff would have that too.

IMO the thing that has plagued us the most (DL has been lacking) for years continues. Coleman has done a good job with the walk on DE and DT, and we have gotten some outside rush prospects that are likely to develop. But DT continues to be a cursed position for us between recruiting failures and injuries. We need a win this recruiting cycle on some DTs.

I think Collins will ultimately have success because IMO his approach is sound and he recruits pretty well, plus like it or not he will be given time. BUT should he fail I think he will leave the shelves stocked.

Scubapro

Banned
I think we will have a better balance of players in a few years. However, Collins will have to step it up if we are gonna compete.
We currently have ZERO commitments from Georgia top thirty players. IMO kids are waiting to see if the hype matches the results.
So far, there hasn't been anything on the game day coaching to make kids take notice.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
I think we will have a better balance of players in a few years. However, Collins will have to step it up if we are gonna compete.
We currently have ZERO commitments from Georgia top thirty players. IMO kids are waiting to see if the hype matches the results.
So far, there hasn't been anything on the game day coaching to make kids take notice.

I agree with you in that we will have to get some of those Top 30 big fish to regularly compete for championships.

In our recent history we have been getting zero commitments in the Georgia top 50. This year we have three. The point of my post was—irrespective of whether Collins succeeds or not—at the very least our talent will be better than it has been. S&C also doing good things as evidenced by physical development/weight gain. So it's nice to at least be headed in the right direction from a talent perspective.

Coaching we will have to see.