Article The Future Is Bright On The Flats

• Highlight

The Future Is Bright On The Flats

Video courtesy of Under The Radar Sports Media

ATLANTA, GA – Head coach Geoff Collins and his band of passionate, energetic staff members effectively slammed the book shut on the 2020 class in absolutely dominating fashion. The staff danced away the recruiting cycle and subsequent 3-9 season with the signing of Rivals100 elite All Purpose Back, Jahmyr Gibbs. Gibbs was the keystone player in this 2020 class and it couldn’t be more obvious, as we watched the stoic and reserved legendary Tech linebacker Marco Coleman do a shimmy and shake, as every coach and Graduate Assistant embraced in brotherly love and happiness.

Often, Tech fans dread hat shows, but this one had a different feeling. As Dalton High School Catamounts head football coach Matt Land spoke eloquently about each player who signed to play at the next level, it was hard to ignore the cameras that were fixated on Gibbs, who sat quietly in a navy Polo pullover that inconspicuously donned a yellow, ahem gold, horse and jockey. The packed high school theater was filled with supporters of all the players, but Gibbs was the main event. Surrounded by his family, Gibbs time had come to finally make a decision that was nearly a year in the making. In no particular order, three hats were laid out in front of him. The University of Florida, Louisiana State University and Georgia Tech. Gibbs being a man of few words wasted no time in making his 40 year decision and overwhelming a fan base that has been starved of star power and national recognition for quite some time.

The hype and optimism surrounding this program is palpable and it’s obvious that all the fresh, new changes have caught the eye of prominent recruits across the country, but specifically in the Southeast. With all the bright and shiny changes in all phases of this historic program, expectations are certainly being raised. The product on the field must match the intensity and passion that Collins and Co. have established during his first full year on The Flats. Coach Collins vision is becoming clearer by the day and the fans who might’ve lagged behind, or been resistant to change, have slowly begun coming around to the idea that this team can be for real, they’re playing for keeps and they make no mistake about their identity as a unique program for unique athletes.

While The Boys of the 404 have a ways to go until they can match or exceed the firepower of Atlantic Division rivals and four time participants of the College Football Playoff, Clemson Tigers, the Coastal Division is as wide open as it can get. A division that has seen seven different champions over the span of seven years seems ripe to be dominated. Can the Yellow Jackets take the top spot in 2020? It is certainly possible, and only time will tell as we trudge through the dead period of college football in utter anticipation of Toe Meets Leather.

Until The Boys of Fall tee it up again at Bobby Dodd Stadium and we’re all able to raise a toast and sing that beautiful fight song, let us look forward to the process, progression and celebration of the team that is so near and dear to us all.

Last edited:

Milwaukee

Banned
The Future Is Bright On The Flats

[FLOAT_LEFT][figcap]Video courtesy of Under The Radar Sports Media[/figcap][/FLOAT_LEFT]ATLANTA, GA - Head coach Geoff Collins and his band of passionate, energetic staff members effectively slammed the book shut on the 2020 class in absolutely dominating fashion. The staff danced away the recruiting cycle and subsequent 3-9 season with the signing of Rivals100 elite All Purpose Back, Jahmyr Gibbs. Gibbs was the keystone player in this 2020 class and it couldn’t be more obvious, as we watched the stoic and reserved legendary Tech linebacker Marco Coleman do a shimmy and shake, as every coach and Graduate Assistant embraced in brotherly love and happiness.

Often, Tech fans dread hat shows, but this one had a different feeling. As Dalton High School Catamounts head football coach Matt Land spoke eloquently about each player who signed to play at the next level, it was hard to ignore the cameras that were fixated on Gibbs, who sat quietly in a navy Polo pullover that inconspicuously donned a yellow, ahem gold, horse and jockey. The packed high school theater was filled with supporters of all the players, but Gibbs was the main event. Surrounded by his family, Gibbs time had come to finally make a decision that was nearly a year in the making. In no particular order, three hats were laid out in front of him. The University of Florida, Louisiana State University and Georgia Tech. Gibbs being a man of few words wasted no time in making his 40 year decision and overwhelming a fan base that has been starved of star power and national recognition for quite some time.

The hype and optimism surrounding this program is palpable and it’s obvious that all the fresh, new changes have caught the eye of prominent recruits across the country, but specifically in the Southeast. With all the bright and shiny changes in all phases of this historic program, expectations are certainly being raised. The product on the field must match the intensity and passion that Collins and Co. have established during his first full year on The Flats. Coach Collins vision is becoming clearer by the day and the fans who might’ve lagged behind, or been resistant to change, have slowly begun coming around to the idea that this team can be for real, they’re playing for keeps and they make no mistake about their identity as a unique program for unique athletes.

While The Boys of the 404 have a ways to go until they can match or exceed the firepower of Atlantic Division rivals and four time participants of the College Football Playoff, Clemson Tigers, the Coastal Division is as wide open as it can get. A division that has seen seven different champions over the span of seven years seems ripe to be dominated. Can the Yellow Jackets take the top spot in 2020? It is certainly possible, and only time will tell as we trudge through the dead period of college football in utter anticipation of Toe Meets Leather.

Until The Boys of Fall tee it up again at Bobby Dodd Stadium and we’re all able to raise a toast and sing that beautiful fight song, let us look forward to the process, progression and celebration of the team that is so near and dear to us all.

Come on, what in the hell have you done with @Gtbowhunter90 and where is he?

Nice write-up, please keep em comin.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I am as excited by the level of recruiting under Collins as anyone. The ability to out coach our opponents remains to be demonstrated. A really good coach wins the games they are supposed to and wins a few they aren't. I hope last year was just one long extended evaluation of our players. He is getting size and speed on the team and is establishing an atmosphere that kids want to be part of. Let's go bowling this year.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s going to be tough to go bowling. Collins is just getting started and a lot of theses teams are 2 recruiting cycles ahead of us. I expect our young QB’s to still be very inconsistent. Losing the spring really hurt especially with Sims and Gleason on campus to push Graham to be better. Last year was absolutely a scrimmage season and 2020 will be to a point. We’ll rotate QB’s and Lineman to see what we have. But I also think we compete because the Coastal is such a mess. But I’m going to enjoy year 2 of a program being built. We’ll look back on these years with fondness like we do the years when Ross took over.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I started out believing we would win 3-5 games this year, but in February I changed my mind and decided we would make a bowl game this year. Two things changed my mind, the tranfers that would be playing this year and cgc saying last xmas was the last he would be home.
I'm going way out on a limb and say we upset one of the big boys this year, if I had to guess, ND @mbs.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I started out believing we would win 3-5 games this year, but in February I changed my mind and decided we would make a bowl game this year. Two things changed my mind, the tranfers that would be playing this year and cgc saying last xmas was the last he would be home.
I'm going way out on a limb and say we upset one of the big boys this year, if I had to guess, ND @mbs.

Funny, I had the opposite. I was expecting a bowl game but after the virus cost us crucial practice time in the spring, I’m afraid we still may be a year away.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
It seems like, and it fits well with our culture, our guys have been staying engaged and working on things within the rules apart from official practices. It's hard to say how things will pan out because we are still in the midst of a huge transition, but I do feel confident we are getting more out of this time than most others. Also of note is the large amount of returning production in our team. There are a lot of dynamics to be settled when there is bigger personnel transition, people stepping into new roles. I think we're in better shape there. Of course, we do need some shaking up to avoid settling into roles which aren't the most functional. It is what it is, but thankfully we'll be going in without too many external expectations.