The Five Biggest Commits since NSD

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
“The recruiting energy in Atlanta has changed — in a big way. Geoff Collins and his staff have created a real buzz at Georgia Tech and they have added numerous pieces already that never would have committed to the Yellow Jackets under Paul Johnson.

King is the latest one to commit. He is a big receiver who wants to play in a spread offense, so the offense Georgia Tech plans to install, combined with the academics, location and chance to play early pushed the in-state school to the top.

King will give Collins a big-bodied receiver that will be ready to compete for early playing time. He is a great red zone receiver, he wins jump-balls and he has shown the ability to block on the perimeter. This is a big get for Collins.”

“The Jackets are need of new talent in the passing game and much like the addition of King, Ward is a nice early grab. A tight end who has seen his offer list explode in recent months, Ward surprised many when he ended his recruitment early and committed to the in-state school last month. Had he hit the camp circuit hard a number of other offers would likely have come his way, so the Jackets staff did a nice job locking Ward up early. The commitment to recruiting the Atlanta area by Collins and the new staff continues to pay dividends and Ward is just the latest local prospect to stay home.”

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Well pretty good bet Ward wouldn’t have came considering we didn’t have his position.

I was always kind of surprised we didn’t get more of the TE/WR tweener types (for an NFL prototype, look at Jimmy Graham or Travis Kelce) in our old offense. I remember making a hard run at OJ Howard (and I guess you can count Waller who did transition to TE in the league), but honestly I don’t remember us going after any other TE recruits.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was always kind of surprised we didn’t get more of the TE/WR tweener types (for an NFL prototype, look at Jimmy Graham or Travis Kelce) in our old offense. I remember making a hard run at OJ Howard (and I guess you can count Waller who did transition to TE in the league), but honestly I don’t remember us going after any other TE recruits.

We offered Isaac Nauta who is now a TE for UGA:

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Isaac-Nauta-27969/RecruitInterests/

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, the comment about these being players who would have never committed to Paul Johnson cannot really be argued with considering our current commits. Ward's position didn't exist, Gleason likely wouldn't have considered us an option and vice versa, and King said he wants to play in a spread offense.

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, the comment about these being players who would have never committed to Paul Johnson cannot really be argued with considering our current commits. Ward's position didn't exist, Gleason likely wouldn't have considered us an option and vice versa, and King said he wants to play in a spread offense.

It’s ironic because CPJ’s offense is considered the SPREAD option

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I guess he didn’t fix it.

A pro style qb.
A TE.
A WR that wants to play in the spread.
Not sure how they’d work in a TO.

Especially the TE, and probably the others, too. It's no surprise we have players for 2020 who wouldn't want to work in a TO, because we no longer have one.

Happy with the recruiting thus far, but in a way aren't we comparing apples to oranges?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I guess he didn’t fix it.

A pro style qb.
A TE.
A WR that wants to play in the spread.
Not sure how they’d work in a TO.
Well, actually, since my post is about King, I stand by it. It is true that a "pro style" QB (whatever that is these days) would have had a hard time with Paul and that Ward might have moved - it could have happened! - to OT, like Klock. But almost all of the WRs Tech recruited under Paul would have wanted to play in a spread and ended up with us.

Maybe King would have ended up with us, maybe not; it would depend on the committable offers he got. But saying that he wanted to play in a shotgun spread wouldn't mean he wouldn't have come to Tech. A simple comparison: King's rating is .8739, Ricky Jeune's was .8609. Not enough difference to make me sit up and take notice, frankly; they're both high threes. And I might point out that our other two recruits are mid-threes. I don't doubt that we'll see some improvement in our overall recruiting rankings this year, but I'd wait until later to make the case.

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, actually, since my post is about King, I stand by it. It is true that a "pro style" QB (whatever that is these days) would have had a hard time with Paul and that Ward might have moved - it could have happened! - to OT, like Klock. But almost all of the WRs Tech recruited under Paul would have wanted to play in a spread and ended up with us.

Maybe King would have ended up with us, maybe not; it would depend on the committable offers he got. But saying that he wanted to play in a shotgun spread wouldn't mean he wouldn't have come to Tech. A simple comparison: King's rating is .8739, Ricky Jeune's was .8609. Not enough difference to make me sit up and take notice, frankly; they're both high threes. And I might point out that our other two recruits are mid-threes. I don't doubt that we'll see some improvement in our overall recruiting rankings this year, but I'd wait until later to make the case.
You are comparing our past players final rating with our current recruits rating that haven’t even played thier senior year of high school yet..

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
You are comparing our past players final rating with our current recruits rating that haven’t even played thier senior year of high school yet..
Well, yes, but that's the only way to do it, you know. We'll see if Kings goes up in rating after the season. Could be.

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, yes, but that's the only way to do it, you know. We'll see if Kings goes up in rating after the season. Could be.

They will.. A good amount of players are automatically rated by the recruiting services after thier Jr. year based on thier Jr. year stats. Hell, I believe Justin Fields was a 3 star in his jr. year. It’s not until players start going to camps and get evaluated based on performance that thier rating goes up. It’s not fair to compare a player at the finish of thier High school career to a high school Jr.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
King is the latest one to commit. He is a big receiver who wants to play in a spread offense, so the offense Georgia Tech plans to install, combined with the academics, location
1.0 The no pass spread w real blocking w wide splits is our option offense.
2.0 The run pass option w bear dance blocking is the standard college read option.
3.0 The pass and maybe run w wide splits and dear dance block is the air raid.

I am thinking we will start as 2.0 w some real man blocking and grow to a 2.5. I hope we run some of the qb ( if Tobias Oliver is ATL) called qb end runs/ pitch to bb end runs.

To get above 2.5 we need a good qb and some receivers that are like coaches on field. The ol blocking in 1.0 is very complicated. In the 3.0 the qb wr reads of the pass coverage is very complicated and most passes are pretty long . To run 3.0 u need a qb w a cannon.

We sure are offering wr s (2) from Texas where the 2.5 spread is common.[/QUOTE]