The facts as I see'em

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
1. We haven't really beaten anybody noteworthy. BC, Mercer and Vandy are very bad. However all you can do is win the games you play.
2. Losing to Clemson would not be a nightmare, there are bigger games ahead against division opponents. Playing well is important however.
3. JT looks good. #41 for Vandy is a good player and at least twice JT made him look bad. His ball security so far this year has been outstanding and no throws or pitches into a crowd as he did last year. He has been getting rid of the ball safely when need be.
4. Oline has potential and Braun was awesome yesterday. He really was coming off the ball and putting some people backwards. Bryan was getting chewed on some. Good to have some competition up there unlike last year when they played bad, there was not any options.
5. The jury is out on pass defense. Pass rush looks weak. I really believe some of the dline playing 2nd team deserve a shot to play more. Simmons has played better than the two de starters. Gamble is a tough run stopper but Henderson has played better than the other dlineman. Adams has potential as a run stopper. Secondary untested as of yet but nobody will stop a top passing offense without pressure on QB. I never forget on who plays that coaches evaluate players every day not just Saturday. They know more than all of us.
6. The lbackers do not impress. Davis is tough but the others get blocked too often and have shown a weakness of standing in the zone frozen instead of seeing the receiver.
7. Mills has been tough and has tremendous potential.
8. Lots of what look to be good young players on offense in Mills, Searcy, Camp, Braun and even Marshall the junior on the oline.
9. Need some wins to sell more tickets. Crowd on tv looked weak yesterday.
10. Keep wearing the throwback unis.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Marketing the Jackets has to be more than billboards. Offer discount tickets to high schools or visiting businessmen in the downtown hotels. Give them free to uniformed service. Fill the seats.

I'd like to see more Navy blue in our home crowd. Navy is neutral and a great background for white and gold to stand out against. Gold is a great accent, but we struggle to look like an organized mob. White makes us washed out. Not a great rally color.

Navy with yellow/gold caps.

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
I am a long time sidewalk fan. I am also frugal and won't pay the ticket prices asked for this year. If they did the cheap seats at $99 this year, I would have 4 seats and the games I did not make I would give the tickets away to tech fans... 4 of us would have been there yesterday in gold and making some noise, but I worked on my boat and listened on the radio instead...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We need to be Atlanta's home team, we need to relate to people who didn't attend school at tech. Need more sidewalk fans. People look at me sideways when they find out that i'm a Tech fan and didn't go to school there, it shouldn't be that way.
Very difficult proposition.
1. Many college grads in the Atlanta area, but they come with their own loyalties and cfb loyalty is near impossible to change.
2. Local Atlantans with no college affiliation have a hard time relating with/to GT. They see GT as elitist and much of that feeling is justified. If we made a concentrated and earnest effort to cultivate fans in the Atlanta school system and neighborhoods, I think we could maybe turn the tide in this area. I just don't see it happening. It's not a priority with those in charge of building the fanbase.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I thought I would double check and am glad I did.

Bobby Dodd opined that "it is the responsibility of the head coach" to put butts in the seats.

I don't know who is running Marketing for Georgia Tech, but they should be judged on attendance and not on budget. (I used to run Marketing for several Fortune 50 companies, so this is a common breakdown. They often manage the department to budget rather than manage to results.)

I'm sorry, but there is no excuse not to sell out BDS. If you look at all the suites ... Georgia Power, Coca Cola, etc ... and you don't have a strategy to penetrate major Atlanta institutions to drive product (football seats) sales, you suck. Period.

Tech is "revered" at the major institution level. Yet, how many of Tech's football marketers have met with Delta Air Lines? GE? Home Depot? UPS?

Again, I think Tech should sell out the nicest, small stadium in FBS ... if it wanted it. They need to stop griping about it and set a goal and get on with it.

bass ackwards

Georgia Tech Fan
There was an offer for elementary school kids to get free ticket with the purchase of an adult ticket. I took my boys and they had a blast.

The email was very specific that it could not be used for high school because of potential recruiting violations. I was glad to see the offer and think it will be helpful if they keep it up. I don't know what all school districts were included but the only two applicable games were Vandy and Duke.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Good points, really worried about our pass rush (or lack thereof) for the Clemson game. If we can't pressure Watson it will be a long night. Need to force at least 2 turnovers to have a chance at winning. But overall I am excited for the game, bring a top 5 team on a Thursday night, just play with no pressure and try to come out with a W.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I am a long time sidewalk fan. I am also frugal and won't pay the ticket prices asked for this year. If they did the cheap seats at $99 this year, I would have 4 seats and the games I did not make I would give the tickets away to tech fans... 4 of us would have been there yesterday in gold and making some noise, but I worked on my boat and listened on the radio instead...

I don't know how a person can be frugal AND have a boat. The maintenance, fuel, and insurance costs of a boat are more likely than the actual tickets to be the reason you think tickets are too expensive.

Tech ticket prices are very reasonable cosidering the frequent number of times you experience pure joy when attending.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Basic economics. If someone is not buying your product, it is either over priced or an inferior product. I will go with over priced. If I was in charge, I would give away tickets, before I had empty seats.

GTG768B

Jolly Good Fellow
I am a GT grad living in New Orleans during my residency. I bought Tulane season tickets to their new stadium starting in 2014 when Tech played there and have kept them up. The kids love to go. I can get 4 season tickets for 200$. The cheap price is basically 100% why I go. I am on board with Tech offering cheap seats in the upper north... Try to sell out every game. You can't build fan allegiance without having people experience the product in person (unless we are perenially ranked and beating Georgie with regularity). Hell, make them 5$ until the stadium is full.

Last edited:

Lawyer mark

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know how a person can be frugal AND have a boat. The maintenance, fuel, and insurance costs of a boat are more likely than the actual tickets to be the reason you think tickets are too expensive.

Tech ticket prices are very reasonable cosidering the frequent number of times you experience pure joy when attending.

I am frugal and own a boat. I do all maintenance myself. I bought it from a friend that let it go and it wasn't running and could make a good bit of money if I were to sell. I only use it 3 or 4 times per year when I fish the gulf. Overall, it is not very expensive to use how I do.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I am a GT grad living in New Orleans during my residency. I bought Tulane season tickets to their new stadium starting in 2014 when Tech played there and have kept them up. The kids love to go. I can get 4 season tickets for 200$. The cheap price is basically 100% why I go. I am on board with Tech offering cheap seats in the upper north... Try to sell out every game. You can't build fan allegiance without having people experience the product in person (unless we are perenially ranked and beating Georgie with regularity). Hell, make them 5$ until the stadium is full.
I agree. I used to be a Falcons season ticket holder, and they used that strategy to get me in the door. IIRC, the tickets were about $15 per game. I was in the upper end zone, but my butt was in the seats and I was spending money on parking, concessions, and souvenirs, etc.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

He can probably afford the boat because he is frugal.