The Expenses of Recruiting

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/1659121001?__twitter_impression=true

I found this article pretty interesting and shows where we are in terms of recruiting expenses. Accounting for expenses probably varies greatly.

The interesting part to me is it shows how we went down in recruiting expenses during the Sasquatch period.

If I'm not mistaken, we used to be one of the bigger spenders in the recruiting game back in the early 2000s. We're now towards the bottom of the pack. I get the feeling our expenses are going up with the CGC era.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
https://amp.courier-journal.com/amp/1659121001?__twitter_impression=true

I found this article pretty interesting and shows where we are in terms of recruiting expenses. Accounting for expenses probably varies greatly.

The interesting part to me is it shows how we went down in recruiting expenses during the Sasquatch period.

If I'm not mistaken, we used to be one of the bigger spenders in the recruiting game back in the early 2000s. We're now towards the bottom of the pack. I get the feeling our expenses are going up with the CGC era.

Iowa State and Kansas are spending nearly twice as much as Tech. Let that sink in a bit.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I agree it helps them close the gap with their rival factory. Question is.....why hasn’t Tech done the same yet???
Because we don't have that much money to throw at recruiting? Georgia outspends EVERYONE in the country by a good margin. CGC would be laughed out of the building if he asked TS for $3m+ for recruiting.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Because we don't have that much money to throw at recruiting? Georgia outspends EVERYONE in the country by a good margin. CGC would be laughed out of the building if he asked TS for $3m+ for recruiting.

I’m not trying to say Tech can match uga. But if Tech doesn’t close the gap more CGC is screwed.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Iowa State and Kansas are spending nearly twice as much as Tech. Let that sink in a bit.

We have big advantages (storied prohram, atl, near lots of recruits) but our class offering and rigor are hurdles that make recruiting ( that includes having active and good ast coaches) a vital activity.

However , our penchant for going into debt for buildings at a factory pace without borrowing enough to recruit nation wide while hiring name brand coaches is an ""engineering""" thing.

For recruiting 500,000 we spend about 5% of our donations 11,000,000 which are 5% of our debt 200,000,000.

We need a couple ogcgt billionaires willing to invest ..

In mean time """"we"""" need to find money to recruit t and get quality coaches that make gt football worth investing.

In tstan and cgc we trust.

Last edited:

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Think where we would be without TStan specifically fundraising for the recruiting office?

Or where we were?

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Lol. No further than any Big1 school. Iowa State spent twice as much as Iowa did. They just have more “want to” and are reaping the benefits.

I’d invite you to take a peek at their classes and explain exactly what benefits they are reaping.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Last I saw they were ranked pre-season and Tech isn’t.

Jesus what a ridiculous measuring stick for a team replacing an entire staff/philosophy. They’ve recruited on par with if not worse than us in recent years. Not to mention Iowa who you’re trying to compare them to.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Jesus what a ridiculous measuring stick for a team replacing an entire staff/philosophy. They’ve recruited on par with if not worse than us in recent years. Not to mention Iowa who you’re trying to compare them to.

If Tech had spent the money in the last regime there would be more talent on hand for the current regime to work with and the transition would be less daunting.

Using class rankings as a measuring stick instead of national team rankings is rather more ridiculous. I’ll concede that a preseason ranking is about as meaningful as class rankings. We can revisit when the final rankings come out at the end of the year.

I love the idea that Tech doesn’t need to spend anything to recruit well. I just think that lovely idea is not at all tenable.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Just my opinion first the coaches need to get players to visit . Check that is being done very well with this coaching staff. Second the school has to sell their degrees. Check Tech can prove with a degree what you can do with a Tech degree. Third the present players need to help sell the program to the recruits once they come on a visit and show them that we are one big happy family. Sometimes you have to look at things that help but may not show up as spending money on recruiting. Ex. Taking the players as a group to see the Braves and Falcons . This is being done we all knew it would take a few years but I do believe that Tech is spending money that does not show up as recruiting money. Plus the fact that right now we are recruiting local players.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Well, to me, it looks like a good bit of GT’s current football recruiting under CGC is branding and marketing through a heavy emphasis on tweets. And the use of Twitter is free.

So I guess we will see if this “recruiting strategy” helps over the next five years, I suppose.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
To find the big DL's, DE's, and LB's we need (and to some degree, the OL's), we need a national strategy. We are still a very special school (in a good way) that requires opening up the net somewhat to find guys who want the high level STEM education. I don't think you can do this without more recruiting $$. I do think, like anything else, innovative ideas can save $$, and you have to be wise when you make decisions to go after a kid that might cost extra $$ to recruit. (Gotsis for example)

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
If Tech had spent the money in the last regime there would be more talent on hand for the current regime to work with and the transition would be less daunting.

Using class rankings as a measuring stick instead of national team rankings is rather more ridiculous. I’ll concede that a preseason ranking is about as meaningful as class rankings. We can revisit when the final rankings come out at the end of the year.

I love the idea that Tech doesn’t need to spend anything to recruit well. I just think that lovely idea is not at all tenable.

You think that team recruiting ranking is not a meaningful metric when comparing to budgets teams spend on recruiting? Think this discussion has run its course between you and me.