The evolution of the the QB position in the game

Jmonty71

Banned
Just looking at the game. Whether it be NFL or NCAA. The QB position has changed. Once upon a time, team wanted that "pocket passer". A tall QB, that can stand in the pocket and deliver a ball to the game makers. That seems to have changed. Take GT.. We want to run a RPO, along with 55% of the other schools in the NCAA. But, more and more teams are moving away from the that stereotypical QB. Even in the NFL.. Young men, like Jackson, Mahomes and Watson are the next generation of great QBs. All mobile. Is it me or has the game changed? Changed for the better, in my humble opinion. This is why I like Sims and what he brings to the table. Is it just me, or does anyone else notice that the QB position is quickly changing?

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
You got to be able to read defenses and make sure you are in the right protections. That part has not changed, but yeah, a lot of coaches have decided that having a "play maker" at QB is a luxury they want to have. It really does force the D to have to defend an extra player all of the time. For example, Burrow was an awesome passer this year in college - maybe the best we have ever seen for one year, but without his mobility, that team does not win the Natty. His legs were key in big moments in big games.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I have remarked before that its changed enough that the old "pro style" vs "dual threat" may not be that important of a distinction, anymore. That said, if another Peyton Manning comes along, he will do just fine.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
The game is shifting back to more of a traditional throwing QBs game because of RPO making it easier to hit a slant then QB try to run read option, it’s pretty much the same read but it’s being made downfield instead of at LOS. The last couple of seasons the best “Dual Threats” (Mahomes, Watson, Tua, and now J Fields.) have all been way more pass first then the beginning of the last decade where a guy like Nick Marshall was leading a team to Title Games.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
Mobile qbs have been value in college for decades. That really isn’t new. Heck tech has had a mobile qb every year for 30 years other than 2007.

Just looking at the game. Whether it be NFL or NCAA. The QB position has changed. Once upon a time, team wanted that "pocket passer". A tall QB, that can stand in the pocket and deliver a ball to the game makers. That seems to have changed. Take GT.. We want to run a RPO, along with 55% of the other schools in the NCAA. But, more and more teams are moving away from the that stereotypical QB. Even in the NFL.. Young men, like Jackson, Mahomes and Watson are the next generation of great QBs. All mobile. Is it me or has the game changed? Changed for the better, in my humble opinion. This is why I like Sims and what he brings to the table. Is it just me, or does anyone else notice that the QB position is quickly changing?

Well let's see, Shawn Jones, Donnie Davis, Joe Hamilton, Reggie Ball, Josh Nesbitt, Tevin Washington, Justin Thomas. Seems to me we have had nothing but mobile , option running quarterbacks for the most part. Even Godsey ran the TO. The College game has not changed for those teams that have stuck with a running scheme. The NFL has changed and is now changing again. Why, there are fewer teams running straight drop back so there are fewer of those QBs available. Second, the NFL went away from the big heavies on defense opting for speed to cover in the passing game. So now offense in the NFL can now start to run the ball against smaller defenders. It will adapt back.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Well, I think you are right.

But say that a current version of Matt Ryan wanted to come to Tech. I'd change my O so fast the OC would be blinded by the flash. You can find all sorts in the NFL and college ranks these days.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Trevor Lawrence. Smart, big and accurate.
And mobile. He also makes things happen with his legs, both on plays where protection breaks down and on called an runs. You almost have to be able to make things happen inside and outside the pocket these days.