The dreaded uniform thread

Brian Johnson

Jolly Good Fellow
I do think russell does being GT down and we lack a certain style. I know it's just a brand but there is a huge difference between russell and nike and the kids see it. It's not that hard to switch to nike for gods sakes we have gloves, cleats, even some shirts! This need to change and it bothers be that tech does not sell their gear mainstrem. It's rare to find gear anywhere! This needs to change!

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
IIRC GT is in the middle of a contract with Russell until 2015-2017ish. And other than last year with the bubble wrap jerseys and the golf ball helmets, I have enjoyed the uniforms. That's probably just me, but I don't care

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I like them this year as well. Simple and classy. If Bobinski is still around in 2017, maybe he will make the switch, but I am cool with them unless we revert to bubble wrap again.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
I do think russell does being GT down and we lack a certain style. I know it's just a brand but there is a huge difference between russell and nike and the kids see it. It's not that hard to switch to nike for gods sakes we have gloves, cleats, even some shirts! This need to change and it bothers be that tech does not sell their gear mainstrem. It's rare to find gear anywhere! This needs to change!

Tech gear is not sold in the mainstream because it doesn't sell. We have a small fan base in a state that has an overwhelming majority for the other State school. Tech probably has an equivalent number of fans in-state to Auburn, Bama, and FSU. I promise you Wal-Mart, Target, or any retailer doesn't care who makes the products just whether or not they leave the shelves when they put them out. Also, nobody looking for a particular teams product is going to buy another teams just because one is made by Nike and the other isn't.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Tech gear is not sold in the mainstream because it doesn't sell. We have a small fan base in a state that has an overwhelming majority for the other State school. Tech probably has an equivalent number of fans in-state to Auburn, Bama, and FSU. I promise you Wal-Mart, Target, or any retailer doesn't care who makes the products just whether or not they leave the shelves when they put them out. Also, nobody looking for a particular teams product is going to buy another teams just because one is made by Nike and the other isn't.
To kids, it's all about the brand name. Why do you think we pay unreasonable amounts of money for vineyard vines,polo, and nike clothes? It's not for how it looks. It's all about the brand name, it means a lot to today's kids.

GaTechYellowJackets

Georgia Tech Fan

+1 This is exactly right. If GT stuff sold a lot, there would be a lot more of it to sell. It's a matter of supply and demand. Nothing else really.

mts315

Ramblin' Wreck
To kids, it's all about the brand name. Why do you think we pay unreasonable amounts of money for vineyard vines,polo, and nike clothes? It's not for how it looks. It's all about the brand name, it means a lot to today's kids.
GT has a licensing contract with every major athletic clothing maker. I can go online, tailgaters ally, or the bookstore and buy a GT t-shirt from Nike, Adidas, Under Armour, and Russell. It is not about the brand that makes the clothing for GT it is about the subject matter. The above listed companies and the retailers that sell them are in the business of making money and if there was money to be made from making or selling GT gear they would be doing it. This is not some grand conspiracy to keep GT down because our uniforms have an R on them instead of a swoosh.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
GT has a licensing contract with every major athletic clothing maker. I can go online, tailgaters ally, or the bookstore and buy a GT t-shirt from Nike, Adidas, Under Armour, and Russell. It is not about the brand that makes the clothing for GT it is about the subject matter. The above listed companies and the retailers that sell them are in the business of making money and if there was money to be made from making or selling GT gear they would be doing it. This is not some grand conspiracy to keep GT down because our uniforms have an R on them instead of a swoosh.

He's mixing the Russell uniform contract and the merchandise in general. We should get a bunch of child and toddler-size GT stuff and put it in clothing banks in rural GA or donate it to charities right before Christmas. At the start of the year a bunch of new GT fans going to gradeschools and preschools.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm referring to recruits, I think it was lamicheal James who picked orgeon purely because of their uniforms. Kids will make it a priority to go for the coolest uniforms. The Swoosh in the front of the jersy instantly makes the uniform cooler in recruits eyes.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I have a strong opinion on this, summed nicely by this article re: uniforms and recruiting.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...all-recruiting-uniforms-selling-point-schools

For those who don't care to read:
1) "Fifty-two percent of the players surveyed said they believed the way they look in a uniform helps them perform better on the field."
2) "Swagged out uniforms not only help prospects take notice of a program, they can be a difference-maker if the recruit is struggling to choose between two relatively even programs."

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
As far as the bubble-wrap uniforms go, I don't know how many of you have been to McCamish yet this year or how well you can see on TV, but the basketball uniforms have the bubble-wrap up and down the sides in the blue sections. It actually looks decent though, because it's subtle.