The draft?

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Assuming the AJC is correct, how many times in the last ten years has Tech had more players drafted than ugag? The reason I ask is if you look, Tech did this year and no one is talking about!!!! When was the last time Tech had three players drafted in one year? Does this mean that the talent at Tech is getting better and that recruiting is actually been ok and the future of Tech football is getting brighter?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To me it doesn't mean that much, especially when viewed in isolation. Trends are what matter when you are talking about program talent. Obviously the NFL draft is a far better indicator of how recruiting has gone than the recruiting ratings themselves. My biggest hope is that getting a few guys drafted will make recruits give us a second look and we can get the ball rolling a little. Hopefully this year will be a start of something.

Three players do not make a football team. We need more draft-able players, that is for sure, but we also need a whole slew of good college players who will never be drafted. I mean, we saw with our own eyes how little it meant to have 5 NFL bound players in our back 7 the last few years. We need the guys up front, whether ever reaching draft status or not, to be a little better too.

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
blah blah blah blah, when no players are getting drafted people on here ***** and complain about the lack of talent on the team. When Tech has three players drafted, it's not the right type of player going in the league. I think having ANYONE drafted is good sign for the program. Secondly, you're missing the most important point. Tech had MORE players drafted this year than ugag did. Especially, when all anyone hears about is how much NFL talent is in Athens. Got start some where Debbie downer.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
yeah, you should go ahead and probably back off a little now. Boomer's one of the more pragmatic guys on here. He trends towards optimism, not pessimism. I get your point, and agree, it's always a good year when we have more draftees that UGa. I'd like to see more of what Boomer's talking about too.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
blah blah blah blah, when no players are getting drafted people on here ***** and complain about the lack of talent on the team. When Tech has three players drafted, it's not the right type of player going in the league. I think having ANYONE drafted is good sign for the program. Secondly, you're missing the most important point. Tech had MORE players drafted this year than ugag did. Especially, when all anyone hears about is how much NFL talent is in Athens. Got start some where Debbie downer.

I'll play your silly game. We had 1 player drafted in 2012, none in 2013, and 3 in 2014. Let's get those to respectable numbers year over year before we start comparing ourselves to anyone.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
While happy for the individual players, and only able to imagine what it is like to reach a goal they have had since they first put a helmet on, I do not really care that much about the NFL.

Much more concerned with our record. Means nothing to have more S/As drafted than UGa when we don't beat them on the field.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Probably 4 years ago (2010) last time it happened. Morgan, Jon, Derrick and Demaryius.

Also had 4 in 2009 draft...

thwgjacket

Yes it's a good thing. Tech fans can belittle an achievement like no other fan base. Yes, it does mean recruiting is not as bad as many make it out to be.
The problem is we have fans that will say "we don't have any talent" and then when we have guys drafted those same fans will say "well we can't win with our talented players." A lot of people just want to be negative. Probably some sort of insecurity they have. Just ignore it and celebrate the fact that in 2014 GT had more players drafted than UGAg. And anytime we are beating them at something we should be able to sit back for a moment and just smile with out all the whining. Just once, let's enjoy something.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Anyone who has followed college recruiting each year knows that UGA has won the recruiting wars solidly over GT insofar as numbers and athleticism are concerned. The fact that GT players have impressed the pros, however, speaks volumes about the GT program and the mindset of athletes they are attracting. There is a whole lot to be said about mental toughness; IMHO, that is the best kind of toughness. Add that to natural talent and you get the total person.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
The only stat that matters when comparing two schools is the last 3 years of drafts added up...because THAT is who sees the field. Wait until UGA's class next year and year after....one draft class in isolation means not much when comparing programs...kinda like recruiting too....

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
From CBTN on twitter:

Top 10 tms w/most NFL draft picks over last three drafts: Bama, LSU, FSU, Notre Dame, UGA, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, South Carolina, UF, Stanford