The Dabo Era vs. Georgia Tech

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
There is no one dumb enough to do this. We are stuck with playing them and UGA so let's make the best of it and improve to the point where we can be GIANT KILLERS to one or the other as the opportunity presents itself. But in order to get in a position of making a nuisance of ourselves we have to get better: better recruiting especially of linemen, superior roster management, increase our commitment to player development, and further improvement of facilities. To put icing on the cake, we need to be uh, creative in improving and expanding curriculum so that it becomes a plus and not the current minus in recruiting. Do these things and there may come a day when both Clemson and UGA will be looking at ways to get rid of US and not the other way around.
But academics are a plus...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We are going to have a hard time unloading Clemson as cross divisional rivals. The only way may be to swap divisions. Still have to play the Tigers though.
Why would we want to offload a rival less than 100 miles away with an 82,000 seat stadium and rabid, high spending, traveling fan base? It is only of late that Dabo Ball has been elevated beyond us, but it was not that long ago we put some thumpings on undefeated Clemson teams. I do not like the theory, not at all, of if at first we can't compete, let's quit.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Why would we want to offload a rival less than 100 miles away with an 82,000 seat stadium and rabid, high spending, traveling fan base? It is only of late that Dabo Ball has been elevated beyond us, but it was not that long ago we put some thumpings on undefeated Clemson teams. I do not like the theory, not at all, of if at first we can't compete, let's quit.
I agree, but there are some who want to stop scheduling FCS and replace them with tier 1 schools even though we basically start the year in the hole 2 games. Our schedule is plenty tough the way it is.

Animal02

Banned
The cross rival thing looks good in theroy, but sucks in reality. Why should Tech be stuck playing Clemp every year while VT gets WF or whoever they play. As long as the cross division games count, the teams should rotate through. As it is, players may not play all the teams in the league. Rotate the teams through, play each team more often, and let the chips fall where they may regarding teams on a hot streak.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Top 10 opponents by number of matchups:
1. Georgia (41-67-5)

2. Auburn (41-47-4)

3. Duke (51-34-1)

4. Clemson (50-31-2)

5. North Carolina (30-21-3)

6. Alabama (21-28-3)

7. Tulane (37-13-0)

8. Tennessee (17-25-2)

9. Virginia (21-19-1)

10. Vanderbilt (20-15-3)
Anybody know why Virginia has always played us tough?

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

If we want to win a few more ACC Championships or get to the playoffs, it would help to level the playing field. We have to play the reigning nation champion while our competition is is playing the seven sisters of the poor. Forgive me. I am competitive and I like to win.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If we want to win a few more ACC Championships or get to the playoffs, it would help to level the playing field. We have to play the reigning nation champion while our competition is is playing the seven sisters of the poor. Forgive me. I am competitive and I like to win.
I get it, believe me. But if we want the playoffs, odds are we have to play the reigning NC on the way anyhow. Actually my goals are more realistic than that, but there is a great rush of satisfaction -- and accomplishment -- in knocking off an undefeated power. The maligned triple option did that three times as I remember, but I will take it if the weapon is the single wing.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Well, if you got any ideas I would like to hear them. We could go to say, Duke and point out that if you play Clemson every year you will fill up good old Wallace Wade to standing room only AND as an added bonus get to go to Memorial Stadium and play in front of 85,000 plus screaming maniacs for a big check. Imagine how many basketball players you could buy with that kind of dough.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The cross rival thing looks good in theroy, but sucks in reality. Why should Tech be stuck playing Clemp every year while VT gets WF or whoever they play. As long as the cross division games count, the teams should rotate through. As it is, players may not play all the teams in the league. Rotate the teams through, play each team more often, and let the chips fall where they may regarding teams on a hot streak.

Now, now, we cannot go around making common sense arguments and solutions like that. The Tobacco Road Mafia doesn't go in for that sort of thing. I would of thought that as a regular poster and long time Tech fan you would appreciated ACC tradition of screwing Tech and possibly a few others as much as possible.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Pretty good arguments both ways but the ones agreeing with Skeptic will have to understand that improving to where we can be competitive with UGA and Clemson will be a LONG process. It won't come easy and will not be fixed by a couple of random recruiting classes above the average It can be done but some things will have to change regarding the whole culture including curriculum and a willingness of the Tech alumni base and administration to be "all in". I am not at all sure that Coach Collins and TStan can get that level of commitment from an administration that has shown itself to be somewhat, shall we say, detached regarding football.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, if you got any ideas I would like to hear them. We could go to say, Duke and point out that if you play Clemson every year you will fill up good old Wallace Wade to standing room only AND as an added bonus get to go to Memorial Stadium and play in front of 85,000 plus screaming maniacs for a big check. Imagine how many basketball players you could buy with that kind of dough.

I have no ideas to get rid of Clemson as our cross divisional rival, but I was attempting to make a case that the cross division rival concect is flawed. Some teams get a cupcake, others get a bear. I know we have to beat Clempson to win the ACC or get to the playoffs, but with the current setup we likely have to beat them twice to reach our goals.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Imo, Clemson has been tough for our offense.
After the 2011 orange bowl Dabo replaced his DC - kevin steele. West virginia scored 70. In 09 and in 11 Gt scored 39 and 31. Steele did not have an answer. Dabo replaced his DC with Brent Venables and our offense has averaged scoring 18 point in the last 6 years and 13 points in the last 3 years.

(Kevin S has found a good spot as DC at Auburn and just got a 3 year contract of $2,000,000 ). Pat Nix said Gus has been a good influence on him. Nix s 5 star qb is a true freshmen qb . Maybe they can give alabama a good game.

Gt pays way less for DC and doesnt have 5* qb recruit. This year i am hopeful , we can stay within 30 points before 4th quarte . ( Thats the margin for uga and clemson in 17 and 18).

Animal02

Banned
I have no ideas to get rid of Clemson as our cross divisional rival, but I was attempting to make a case that the cross division rival concect is flawed. Some teams get a cupcake, others get a bear. I know we have to beat Clempson to win the ACC or get to the playoffs, but with the current setup we likely have to beat them twice to reach our goals.
And the bears and cupcakes change over time (for the most part). Need to eliminate the the cross over and just rotate through the division

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I get it, believe me. But if we want the playoffs, odds are we have to play the reigning NC on the way anyhow. Actually my goals are more realistic than that, but there is a great rush of satisfaction -- and accomplishment -- in knocking off an undefeated power. The maligned triple option did that three times as I remember, but I will take it if the weapon is the single wing.
I think the argument about Clemson is that some would rather take their chances against them in the ACCC rather than have them knock us out of even playing in the championship.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Duke wouldn't get a big check for playing a conference game...

There you go trying to put facts in place when we are talking about Duke playing Clemson instead of us playing the Tigers. I know that and you know that but does Duke know that? Anyway, we should petition to change everything to a rotation through the conference so that everyone eventually plays everyone else. It won't happen because the last thing the other Coastal teams want is to give us a break from playing the Tigers.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
There you go trying to put facts in place when we are talking about Duke playing Clemson instead of us playing the Tigers. I know that and you know that but does Duke know that? Anyway, we should petition to change everything to a rotation through the conference so that everyone eventually plays everyone else. It won't happen because the last thing the other Coastal teams want is to give us a break from playing the Tigers.

LOL. No other ACC team would ever volunteer to play Clemson as a crossover every year....