The Culture is Real

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
I am very pleased that your daughter is going to go to the games. You do understand that the 404, the culture change, the ATL, and everything else will disappear in a heartbeat if we do not start winning ball games. The hype and gimmicks can take you only so far until the rubber hits the road. Georgia Tech is on the cusp of a historic recruiting season, the likes of which have not been seen since 2007. It is entirely possible that Coach Collins and his staff will be very close to if not have a top 20 class. After years of enduring top 50 classes or lower 40 ranked classes at best, I would have been happy with a class in the 30s. Of course, we have not signed them and all sorts of shenanigans remain to be played out by opposing programs, unscrupulous coaches, and short sighted recruits who hear NFL prospect, freshman All American, guaranteed PT among other tricks designed to fool them into thinking Alabama, UGA et. al. have their best interests at heart. Sure they do son. After you have been lied to repeatedly a recruit best remember "A cynic is someone who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing" Coach Collins and a Georgia Tech degree represent value.

Thanks for the patronizing response. Some people are too dumb to realize that we need to win games. Your reminder was very necessary and helpful.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the patronizing response. Some people are too dumb to realize that we need to win games. Your reminder was very necessary and helpful.
Not being patronizing at all. I apologize if you were offended. I was just pointing out that winning cures a lot of ills even the self inflicted ones from the Hill. If we have two more seasons like this past one, it will be a moot point in any case. I pray it does not come to that.

gtcrew

Jolly Good Fellow
Not being patronizing at all. I apologize if you were offended. I was just pointing out that winning cures a lot of ills even the self inflicted ones from the Hill. If we have two more seasons like this past one, it will be a moot point in any case. I pray it does not come to that.
I reject your arbitrary timeline. If we win big in year 4, no level of failure in year 1-3 would be insurmountable.

Nobody expects 3-9 in year 3, but it isn't impossible with massive injuries.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I reject your arbitrary timeline. If we win big in year 4, no level of failure in year 1-3 would be insurmountable.

Nobody expects 3-9 in year 3, but it isn't impossible with massive injuries.

Anything can happen. We could win 6 or 7 next year even with a more challenging schedule and 3 reasonably certain losses with UGA, Clemson, and Notre Dame and it would not surprise me in the least. When was the last time you saw a really good, solid, Coastal Division champion? On the other hand, we could win only 3 or 4 next year just as easily. Winning only 3 in year 3 is not likely but a team that lost to the Citadel is certainly capable of playing better and still losing games it ought to win. Miami does this just about every year.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Good to hear. But if this is so good, where the hell has GTAA marketing been for the last 45 years? GTAA pays professional marketers and a guy with a degree in history blows them out?

TStan should fire them all.

Not going to get much argument from me. They’ve sucked at marketing, branding, and fund raising for a long time. Hope they will get better at it. I’m not waiting on them, though. Time for us to grab the baton and run with it as much as we can.

White_Gold

GT Athlete
Not sure if anyone follows GT FB on instagram, but they posted reflections from some of the guys who finished out their senior years. As a CPJ player and former teammate to these guys, it was quite interesting to hear their views. I spoke with a few other guys that I played with and all of us think this new culture change is going to be thoroughly refreshing to the program.

So many people keep saying Collins is all talk or a used car salesman...that's BS. College recruiting is all about managing the emotions and needs of 17 year old kids that are pretty savvy. They see right through phony ****. Collins is not a great recruiter because of what he says or tweets or wears, but because he is selling his ability to make kids feel valued and at home at GT. For me recruiting was total BS, with shady folks at every turn, meeting CGC would have been a breath of fresh air.

The hardest part of of a new coaching staff is getting the old staff's upper classmen to get on board. One only needs to look at Fuente (had guys trying to lose to avoid going to a bowl game) and Frost's to see how tricky that is.

View attachment 7362

View attachment 7363

View attachment 7364

Shoot, you can look at our program. Multiple player only meetings in 2008 and 2009 according to guys on the team at the time. One can only imagine a couple extra wins in 08 and 09 if everyone was on board. As a player, you're already fighting the school, the other team, and college life- why make it an adversarial relationship with your players? FFS, he made James Johnson quit football altogether. Can you imagine having that guy on the team in 08??

The change is real, all you need to do is ask the guys on the team when Collins was at Tech.