The Citadel

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
No benefit from scheduling FCS opponents, EVER. A blowout win is assumed, so anything less comes off as an embarrassment and makes us look bad. And they don't help the resume at all. If warmup games are needed, then why not just go with Sunbelt or Conference-USA, or weak Power 5 teams like Purdue or yaknow Vanderbilt?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
No benefit from scheduling FCS opponents, EVER. A blowout win is assumed, so anything less comes off as an embarrassment and makes us look bad. And they don't help the resume at all. If warmup games are needed, then why not just go with Sunbelt or Conference-USA, or weak Power 5 teams like Purdue or yaknow Vanderbilt?
It's better to play them early in the season compared to the SEC playing them the week before rivalry week lol.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Boy, some of you people are gluttons for punishment. We need the occasional opponent that we match up very favorably with to insure that our record is ok. I have absolutely no hots to play good teams every week; we have a hard enough time with the ACC.

Oth, this may not have much to do with that. Remember what Stansbury said in his interview about Tech football: "Nobody wants to play us." If I had to guess, I'd say that's it. If I were the coach of an half decent FBS program and I hadn't played a team running the O recently, I'd avoid Tech like the plague. It only took Nick Saban looking at 20 minutes of game film to tell his AD to cancel Bammer's game with GSU.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
PJ knows some of those FCS teams, even the really good ones, need the paydays. He's been in their shoes. He may not have much to do with scheduling but I figure he gets consulted about it.

Animal02

Banned
Plenty of benefit. Tuning up at the beginning of the season, getting 16 % of the required wins to go to a bowl game....and the biggest benefit.....playing 7 home games a season.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
PJ knows some of those FCS teams, even the really good ones, need the paydays. He's been in their shoes. He may not have much to do with scheduling but I figure he gets consulted about it.
Pretty sure that would be a safe figure.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I agree with the idea of going with a perennially weak non-FCS team for the one gimme towards a bowl bid. Better overall, but you never really know how good a team is going to be three years out.

El Cid is pretty good this year. Playing Woffard for the championship Saturday night. Only game El Cid lost was to UNC (where they got smooshed 7-41).

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Wish the ACC would follow the BigTen's lead on this scheduling matter.

GT already schedules according to Big Ten guidelines on any practical level, with one Power 5 opponent every year (Uga) and two other non-Power 5 opponents (usually someone like Tulane or Central Florida or Georgia Southern) plus one FCS team (Jacksonville State or The Citadel). To be honest, I think the FCS teams we play are often better teams than the non Power 5 teams. Do you really think Idaho is so much different than The Citadel? North Dakota State will never get the chance to embarrass the Big Ten again (like they did this year by beating Iowa) because of these new guidelines (and I suspect that had something to do with the new rules).

Animal02

Banned
GT already schedules according to Big Ten guidelines on any practical level, with one Power 5 opponent every year (Uga) and two other non-Power 5 opponents (usually someone like Tulane or Central Florida or Georgia Southern) plus one FCS team (Jacksonville State or The Citadel). To be honest, I think the FCS teams we play are often better teams than the non Power 5 teams. Do you really think Idaho is so much different than The Citadel?
I would like to see FCS games not count toward NC / playoff consideration, but continue to count as a win for bowl eligibility. That would force the upper levels of the P5 to stop playing them but still allow the lower levels the opportunity as well allow the FCS schools a pay day. Ever since the Delaware St. / U of Mich. disgrace, I have lost any respect for the P5 playing them and would love to see them stopped. However, until they do, I see think it is wise to take advantage of the situation

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
They run the same offense btw

The Citadel's offense is extraordinarily similar to Tech, with this wrinkle: Honest to God, they often operate out of a T-formation variation -- the T-bone. Instead of slotbacks lined up just outside the tackles, think of halfbacks lined up a few yard directly behind the tackles, an old-school T-formation backfield. And, as with Tech, the Citadel tends to go with a 2 WR, no TE look. Citadel coach Brent Thompson isn't from the "Paul Johnson coaching tree," but he's proven to be a successful option-offense mind, as the OC whose offense took Lenoir-Rhyne to the Div. 2 title game in 2013 and has since revitalized The Citadel from 2014 to date. Wouldn't bother me at all if CPJ took a look at Thompson's staff when needing to fill assistants' openings at Tech.

And re scheduling FCS teams, no problem with one per season; it's a safe bet that the top 15 to 20 FCS programs would often knock off programs in the bottom 10-15% of FBS programs.

RedPete

Ramblin' Wreck
Again when playing FCS teams, the risk of humiliation far outweighs everything else. Nobody cares about how good that team really is. Appalachian State was a back-to-back National Champ when they upset Michigan, but all that mattered was "the Wolverines just lost to a lowly FCS school LOL"

Do you want this to be us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk