The Citadel Postgame

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
I haven't been too hard on our coaches for anything this season and I won't for this game but I will say this:

That is absolutely on Geoff Collins and Dave Patenaude not having Tobias Oliver ready to snap the damn ball on the officials whistle at 0:13 after the false start and 10 second run-off. Why did it take him 8 seconds to hike the ball??
The official said the clock would start at the snap.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
No he's not. Graham was hurt.

I was listening to Demetra pregame and he announced that Graham was in a boot and not active so I immediately thought oh **** we're in trouble. But then common sense took over and I said to myself "Calm down MKE, Oliver and Lucas will be able to get us past this game". They just simply can't throw a football. Period. The td to Camp was an underthrown duck, great play by Camp. Oliver is fun to watch run and people keep saying PUT OLIVER IN but the teams we face are saying the same thing. They want Oliver in so they can just stack the box and eventually take away his qb keepers. Never in my sober mind did I think Graham not being available would be the reason we lost to The Citadel. But was it because we didn't have our qb, or was it because we have a buffoon as an offensive coordinator? I honestly don't know. I thought to myself I could literally walk down to the sideline and call a better game than DP. It'd go something like this (even though I don't even like the shotgun spread), "Hey can you guys line up in the gun 4 wide and run this power run? And hey Lucas or Tobias, I'm gonna simplify things and give you just a 2 man route on each side and let you make a 1/2 decision...one of them will be the correct read and one won't, either way one of them will be there. Got it?" And they'd say, "Got it coach". We'd win by 20 just doing that. There's no reason on this earth why we did not beat Citadel. DP should be let go this evening if not this afternoon. "But it takes time MKE!!!" No, we could've ran 4 plays and beat that team.

In some weird paranoid place that I was at this afternoon I was honestly thinking "Did we screw over DP at some point? Did he apply for a GT position in the past and we just dissed him or something??" The offense and plays he is calling for the 1st 3 games made me think he is trying to sabotage us on purpose. Cooler heads prevailed and I talked myself out of that, but the fact that the calls are THAT bad that it could even cross someone's mind speaks for itself. That dude cannot remain at GT, PERIOD.

This week of Swarm is gonna be epic.

Not giving up on Graham at all. He definitely has potential. But TO looks like our best all around football player. We have to get the ball in his hands. Come up with any scheme you want but it needs to entail getting the ball in TO’s hands.

slugboy

Staff member
Collins yes.

DP no.

Period. Not knee jerk at all if you’re watching the same games I’m watching.

I don’t see how we can swap an OC in-season. I’m on the outside looking in, but it looks like QB coaching and some of the OLine play need to improve dramatically.

After the first Citadel 3-and-out, the offense’s job was to march down and get 7. I do think they could have with Oliver.

If it makes you feel better, I’ll say a white lie, and I’ll just say this today: [White Lie]You could swap out the OC and offensive system for a better one mid season. It would work[/White Lie]

Don’t get mad, I’m really trying.

He never had that roster. The 08/09 defense was the most talented since O’Leary.

The preceding several defenses were better; at least they had better stats, and also had players go to the league. 08/09 were the most talented of Johnson’s tenure.

Coach Curry lost to Furman and then tied them. The 1982 (?) debacle was understandable as that Paladin team went 10-2 but the other game was pretty bad as we were supposed to be better. It was pretty embarrassing either way.

There were several gut-punch games during the Curry era. Maybe even “lots”. After he got the team up to playing not so bad, he was off to Alabama. That was before I was a student, and it was hard to see them on TV back then, but that era was harder on a Tech fan.

The sun will rise. But what a pisser.

As a fan, I’d say spend time with your family and friends, exhale a bit, don’t look at the sports section tomorrow, and do something you like. We can pick back up again after that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
ahpk37n.jpg

Techster

Helluva Engineer
1. GT should have beaten Citadel on talent alone. To lose to them is embarrassing.

2. What's more embarrassing is the stuff so called GT "fans" are posting. Some of you aren't happy unless you can be negative. Pathetic.

3. I'm going to enjoy my new bottle of bourbon and the pasta my girlfriend is making. I'm turning this off and going to let some of you enjoy your misery. Good night GT world.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Why dont you blame CPJ for leaving, then? Or TStan for not hiring Monken? TStan was always going to get us out of that offense from the day he was hired. Quit blaming the "haters" and support the team.

Read again what you said that I put in bold. I think you're right. TStan was not going to fire CPJ, but the pressure was certainly on. CPJ did the admirable thing, but you can't both blame CPJ and admit that TStan was going to get rid of him at the same time.

Now, I think my support for CPJ is pretty unquestioned, but I recognize that the failure of our new DC last year pretty much did-in the arguments for keeping him amongst those who didn't like the offense. I don't think our struggles on D under CPJ were as simple as some said over the off-season, but I do think his focus on the O had some negative effects on our D.

However, all of this is beside the point today. Today, we played worse than should be expected from our talent-level. It has nothing to do with CPJ.

Let CPJ go. CGC is our coach now. Let's praise him for our successes and let him own our struggles.

We've got a come-to-Jesus bye week to get it all straightened-out. Let's do it!

Go Jackets!!!

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Read again what you said that I put in bold. I think you're right. TStan was not going to fire CPJ, but the pressure was certainly on. CPJ did the admirable thing, but you can't both blame CPJ and admit that TStan was going to get rid of him at the same time.

Now, I think my support for CPJ is pretty unquestioned, but I recognize that the failure of our new DC last year pretty much did-in the arguments for keeping him amongst those who didn't like the offense. I don't think our struggles on D under CPJ were as simple as some said over the off-season, but I do think his focus on the O had some negative effects on our D.

However, all of this is beside the point today. Today, we played worse than should be expected from our talent-level. It has nothing to do with CPJ.

Let CPJ go. CGC is our coach now. Let's praise him for our successes and let him own our struggles.

We've got a come-to-Jesus bye week to get it all straightened-out. Let's do it!

Go Jackets!!!

Im with ya

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Not giving up on Graham at all. He definitely has potential. But TO looks like our best all around football player. We have to get the ball in his hands. Come up with any scheme you want but it needs to entail getting the ball in TO’s hands.

I completely agree that TO needs the ball in his hands a lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTFLETCH

Banned
My thoughts, not based on stats just gut reaction just getting home after the game:

• Oliver is the only QB who has consistently moved the ball.
  • Bringing a cold QB in on 3rd and long to run a WildPass? play doesn't work.
  • Both of the kickers have issues and the coaches need to address whatever those issues are.
  • That is twice that a coaches timeout has cost us, a 4th and 1 against Clemson and the win today.
  • Three or four unsportsmanlike penalties looks more like Miami than GT.
  • Anyone who saw the players on the field and believes that Citadel has more talent than GT is delusional. This loss was not because of talent, if the game had been decided on talent GT would have won.
Spot On....

Tobias Oliver needs to be named starter

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
So now we have the CGC apologists. :rolleyes:
Nope try again, this loss is on the coaches to, but some of us are at least being realistic about what Collins inherited. Some of us aren't ready to throw the towel in because we are patient , face it this isn't going to happen over night it may take a season or two

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk