1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

The Biggest Political Scandal In The Last Several Decades

Discussion in 'The Swarm Lounge' started by bwelbo, Oct 25, 2017.

1. LibertyTurns

LibertyTurns Helluva Engineer

Actually there were quite a few. Not to the extent there is now but there was at least 1 very long thread on media dishonesty and many others where the press was singled out for blatant misrepresentations if not outright lying.

bwelbo likes this.
  2. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

As I said, Trump is the one who gave the formal name to it. If you Google media bias and scroll by date, I’m sure you’ll see tons of research articles going back decades. And yes, I’m confident you already know all this.

It’s like when people on the left ask (rightly) where all the conservatives were on the deficit before Obama. We were here, but it just wasn’t cutely named things like the Tea Party before. I handed in my Republican Party affiliation when Bush was President.

Bush did the same crap Reagan did and now Trump - they cut tax rates, so tax revenue increased, sometimes enormously, yet still ran deficits because they never fought the spending side.

LibertyTurns likes this.
  3. Whiskey_Clear

Whiskey_Clear Helluva Engineer

I think the left is well on their way to doing it :/

4. Technut1990

Technut1990 Helluva Engineer

I dont think you were on here complaining about Trump 3 years ago were you ? I've complained about the lying media for years -- they promote drama for ratings and advertising revenue, truth isn't a priority.

This is a huge problem though, you actually want to argue about FACTS. When the sun is out do you deny that it daytime ?

Facts are facts its actually pretty simple. BTW you know this because you spend a lot of time complaining about FOX News, are you complaining about their truth in broadcasting ? Liberals yelling that Trump lies seem to fail to understand that they also support the fact that he lies by accusing Fox of doing it for him, FOX IS MEDIA !!!!!!.

You saw the actual lying reported as fact on the Catholic school boys issue yet you ask who will decide what the fact is ? How about we look at the real facts ? You know like you breath air -- thats a fact right ? or do we need to argue.

5. WreckinGT

WreckinGT Helluva Engineer

I don't spend that much time complaining about Fox News and I don't consider them fake news. Do they get some things wrong? Sure. Do they sensationalize some things? Of course. They are a cable news network. They are going to play to their base. For the most part though, I don't really believe they are just making things up. On the flip side, conservatives seem to have convinced themselves that any news from any source that is negative towards Trump is fake news. Its pretty ridiculous. Trump himself admitted that he calls the media fake news simply because he doesn't want the public to believe anything they say. That should have been a pretty good sign that maybe you shouldn't blow his fake news horn for no reason but his sheep just keep on doing it.

A Love Supreme likes this.
  6. Whiskey_Clear

Trump is blowing our fake news horn. It was already ours when he picked it up for the first time. And the media has long earned their reputation.

7. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

While the left drones on and on about Russia and their influence on our elections, nobody seems to make comparisons or discuss the domestic enemies of democracy......

-the IRS scandal that suppressed conservative tax-exempt groups in the 2012 elections
    -the recent study in Texas that thousands of illegals are registered and have voted there
    the recent charges brought in Philadelphia against union and Democrat politicians for the $30 MM spent (in one city) on elections fraudulently since 2000

Let's appoint a Special Prosecutor (I nominate @bwelbo) to investigate these!

8. Whiskey_Clear

You obviously don’t understand how our system operates now. Only conservatives like Roger Stone are prosecuted for lying to Congress, not Hillary and company. There is no equal justice under the law now.

bwelbo likes this.
  9. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

BuzzFeed is at it again. After just getting a dressing down from Robert Mueller about their last false accusation, they're at it again today. Posting emails and things between Cohen and a guy named Slater discussing the Trump Tower possibility in Russia. Of all people, BuzzFeed should know better. After all, it is they who originally posted the dossier. To go back in time, the fake dossier (paid for by the DNC and FBI) was part of what kicked off this silly ridiculousness, which included the embedding of a couple spies into the Trump campaign. One of the FBI informants was Slater. This guy was specifically put there to try and snoop around, prompt people to see what he might find out...and they're using HIS words as part of their supposed evidence, LOL. Poor BuzzFeed.

10. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

90% of the public (and apparently 99% of liberals who frequent media "sources" like BuzzFeed, will either (1not know what you just described; or (2) consider it irrelevant.

How can ANY media outlets survive these days with the total lack of credibility that has become the norm since Trump took office and so many on the left collapsed into TDS? Only because the public is....not so smart.

bwelbo likes this.
  11. Whiskey_Clear

Sheeple

12. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Today we learned that Adam Schiff, the Democrat who runs a lot of these investigations in the House, had secret meetings with FusionGPS, the firm the Democrats paid to work with Russian Intel to dig up opposition information on Trump. I suppose he will call for himself to resign or go to jail?

13. LibertyTurns

LibertyTurns Helluva Engineer

His recollection of that probably isn’t very good.

The other possibility is the Maniac hired him to collude with the Russians against himself.

Whiskey_Clear and bwelbo like this.
  14. kg01

kg01 Get-Bak! Coach Featured Member

This may be both on and off topic but what in the actual F is happening in Virginia's government?

May be better to ask what's not happening.

And now Corey Maggette's being dragged in as an alleged rapist?

I've seen telenovela's with fewer twists and less intrigue.

Enough is too much!

15. Whiskey_Clear

On the one hand I find it ironic and a bit entertaining to see the DNC grapple with this. It’s indicative of what I perceive to be a latent discrimination of minorities from that party who quickly label any conservative minded minorities as “sellouts” etc., when those individuals don’t vote for Democrats or liberal ideals. Neither the governor of Virginia nor the AG appear to have any integrity in this matter as I think both have been quick to throw rocks while living in their glass houses. On another hand it’s depressing on many levels.

I don’t really know what motivated folks in the 80s or whenever to do the blackface stuff. It does seem derogatory at the least. Having said that.....should that one transgression diminish any and all good those persons have done since then? Is it not possible those people have changed since? In short should this end their careers and destroy any positive reputation they have? Does this transgression give good cause to remove them from office?

I honestly don’t know. Each should probably be judged individually and in as much entirety as possible. I understand many will see this “one act” and suspect that act is a window into their souls that they probably hide from the public. I do know that their next election will provide an excellent chance for voters to remove them from office directly regardless of how this plays out. There is a lengthy wait for this to occur however if both refuse to step down.

I do not doubt however that if these two men were Republicans the mainstream media would be up in arms and attempting to cast both as the racist faces of a racist party. I feel pretty certain that massive marches and demonstrations would be occurring if these two yo-yos were Republicans. Hypocrisy is a bit on display yet again.

As for the Lieutenant Governor there. Innocent until proven guilty. I haven’t looked into the allegations against him yet but the outcry for him to resign before any evidence comes out....is very premature. This is another ironic twist as the DNC attempts to control the monster they have created in “believing all accusers”.... until they are proven to be liars.

16. MWBATL

MWBATL Helluva Engineer

All I ask is that both parties deal with these issues consistently.

Personally, I felt Kavanaugh was innocent until proven guilty, and would treat the Virginia Dems the same way. However, there are a whole bunch of Dems who either need to flush this guy, or be hypocrits about it....whatdaya think @Lotta Juice ?

Whiskey_Clear likes this.
  17. bwelbo

bwelbo Helluva Engineer

Innocent until proven guilty on sexual assault. Or at least have some corroborating evidence.

On the blackface, we’re talking nearly 40 years ago when he was in school. If since then he’s lead a different, adult life that was upstanding, shouldn’t we weigh that? Apparently Virginian citizens agree in polls I’ve seen. I mean look at Robert Byrd - wasn’t he a Grand Wizard of the KKK? And nearly everything in West Virginia is named after him.

What I find interesting is that the governor advocated being able to kill a newborn baby if the mom didn’t end up wanting it, and there is hardly any rage and media interest in that. How rotten we’ve become as a society.

Technut1990 and Whiskey_Clear like this.
  18. Lotta Juice

Lotta Juice Ramblin' Wreck

Great, I guess I'm the token liberal now. But I guess I asked for it.

For the assault claims, yes an investigation needs to take place.

The black face doesn't really bother me since it was 30 years ago. Hell, there was a movie that came out in 1986 called Soul Man that was entirely about a kid going black face shop he could get into Harvard. Do I can see how someone would think it's okay for a costume, albeit still in our taste.

However, I do think the governor has handled it terribly. First he's sorry, then it wasn't him, then he dressed up as michael jackson one time and almost moonwalker? Wtf.

That seems to show that he doesn't get the context of the situation still and that's troubling and likely cause for him to go.

19. kg01

kg01 Get-Bak! Coach Featured Member

The blackface thing, from my perspective as a black man, is problematic even though it happened years ago.

You never know a person's private thoughts when it comes to being prejudiced, racist, etc. Doing something like that doesn't necessarily mean anything in that regard. But it sort of rings a bell that can't be un-rung.

I could never look at him the same way again.

In the black community, there was outcry at Soul Man. Notice how impactful it was? Welcome to our frustration.

20. Whiskey_Clear

I think it mostly indicates he’s a liar willing to say anything to stay in power.