The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Georgia Tech has a lot more money riding on research dollars than on sports. There is at least some teleworking going on at GTRI. However, there are some on-campus responsibilities that I am sure can’t be done remotely, and I’d think some of the research jobs are in that category.
To me, being on campus seems like a work requirement for football and other sports, and makes more sense to compare to other campus-related situations where the person has to be on campus—like some of the jobs that can’t be done remotely.
However, this viewpoint puts me in the position of saying “job” rather than “scholarship”.

And this is why i think there are going to be huge changes to college sports based on what colleges are doing this fall. As soon as you make it plain that the student-athletes aren't really students, they are now more like employees and I think that is likely to lead to significant changes. A players association is a forgone conclusion to me at this point. You are also likely to have to make some concessions on revenue distribution and depending upon how aggressive some politicians want to get you get potentially have to start talking about whether AA's are allowed to keep a non-profit status.

Deleted member 2897

You definitely need smart policies so you don't throw millions of people out of work needlessly, but we do need to work to make changes over time. We need both mitigation policies (to slow down the climate change) and replacement policies (to deal with climate change - like moving people farther away from coastlines). It's something we need to deal with over the next 20-30 years.

FWIW, temperatures have increased significantly. Here is the data from NOAA that was released Aug 14th.

So climate change has gotten a lot better during the pandemic (according to The WHO), but it hasn’t?

Deleted member 2897

FWIW, Kentucky Derby changed directions today and announced no fans will be allowed in the stands. I'm still a little surprised, though not shocked, the colleges are going to try to play football with fans in the stands. I haven't seen much from Americans in the last 5 months that suggest that will work successfully.

I did love this that was passed on to me today. We can play August Madness - who will be the last school to go online.

I have seen plenty over the last 5 months that we can have fans in the stands. The rules are set and they are clear. Don’t follow them and you get kicked out and banned. I attended my daughters high school graduation 2 1/2 months ago where 1,000 people were there. Everybody wore masks and even on the way out when lines naturally formed, each family gave space to those in line ahead of them. I think with clear rules stated the way they are it will work fine. Anybody who doesn’t want to wear a mask or who would have normally acted a fool will have to decide if they’re okay making a scene and getting banned. I do t expect that to happen.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
FWIW, Kentucky Derby changed directions today and announced no fans will be allowed in the stands. I'm still a little surprised, though not shocked, the colleges are going to try to play football with fans in the stands. I haven't seen much from Americans in the last 5 months that suggest that will work successfully.

I did love this that was passed on to me today. We can play August Madness - who will be the last school to go online.

Shouldn't be surprised. If the Kentucky Derby or college football have an event which turns out to be a super spreader event, there will be a liability that will cost a lot of money and reputation to resolve. Kentucky Derby is sooner on Sept 5 so the slow roll had to end earlier.

There is no way I can think yelling fans 6 feet apart for three hours is consistent with sufficient social distancing. Again, look at super spreader events from coral singing. Zero chance of me and my wife going. But we'll see, nothing I have control over what others do.

Back to the NCAA, our local paper today talked about the differing treatment of students going home and football players staying to practice.

Student-Athletes? Nope, called them Students-or-Athletes. True at some other places but fortunately not GT.

Deleted member 2897

Shouldn't be surprised. If the Kentucky Derby or college football have an event which turns out to be a super spreader event, there will be a liability that will cost a lot of money and reputation to resolve. Kentucky Derby is sooner on Sept 5 so the slow roll had to end earlier.

There is no way I can think yelling fans 6 feet apart for three hours is consistent with sufficient social distancing. Again, look at super spreader events from coral singing. Zero chance of me and my wife going. But we'll see, nothing I have control over what others do.

Back to the NCAA, our local paper today talked about the differing treatment of students going home and football players staying to practice.

Student-Athletes? Nope, called them Students-or-Athletes. True at some other places but fortunately not GT.

At 20% capacity, I am pretty sure they are planning on people being more than 6 feet apart. If you have a family of 4, that means you have 16 empty seats surrounding you. That could be 3 seats to your left, 3 to your right, then an empty row in front (4) and behind (4) and 2 extra seats yet. Plus, unlike churches and bars and what-not, it’s outside.

They could really reduce the yelling by finally hiring competent Refs. :)

herb

Helluva Engineer
You definitely need smart policies so you don't throw millions of people out of work needlessly, but we do need to work to make changes over time. We need both mitigation policies (to slow down the climate change) and replacement policies (to deal with climate change - like moving people farther away from coastlines). It's something we need to deal with over the next 20-30 years.

FWIW, temperatures have increased significantly. Here is the data from NOAA that was released Aug 14th.

please, please let’s keep this out of this thread.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
And this is why i think there are going to be huge changes to college sports based on what colleges are doing this fall. As soon as you make it plain that the student-athletes aren't really students, they are now more like employees and I think that is likely to lead to significant changes. A players association is a forgone conclusion to me at this point. You are also likely to have to make some concessions on revenue distribution and depending upon how aggressive some politicians want to get you get potentially have to start talking about whether AA's are allowed to keep a non-profit status.
Your post is fair and I think the sentiment regarding SA's in revenue sports going forward is probably accurate. I'll just take issue with the bolded part. Nothing happening this fall makes SAs not students any more than before. SAs are going to be required to be students exactly the same as any other student. The difference will be they will live on/near campus as long as fall sports continue in order to play their respective sports because the powers that be have decided to proceed with play. If you want to say they are more like "employees" fine... but not exactly. SAs can stop being SAs at any point and continue to be students. The vast majority (I assume...I cannot prove it) are good with their circumstances.

And just because it is a little pet peeve of mine... it would be more precise to differentiate SAs between revenue (football and basketball) and every other SA for these kinds of things. Across the NCAA, very very few SAs are prioritizing their athletics over their academics.. and very few schools are expecting or allowing otherwise either.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

Well, Nuke, I like you, I believe, thought it was a "slow roll" also, but they sure are doing a LOT of extra work that is not necessary if they don't plan to have fans (although limited) in the stands. I think it is also fraught with liability concerns, but I think the games themselves are as well. Like almost everyone else on this board, I would love the distraction of college football, but I am amazed that it is going to happen, or it appears it is going to happen.

Here is a link to the latest at Bammer:

herb

Helluva Engineer
Well, Nuke, I like you, I believe, thought it was a "slow roll" also, but they sure are doing a LOT of extra work that is not necessary if they don't plan to have fans (although limited) in the stands. I think it is also fraught with liability concerns, but I think the games themselves are as well. Like almost everyone else on this board, I would love the distraction of college football, but I am amazed that it is going to happen, or it appears it is going to happen.

i think Georgia has done some things to eliminate the liability concerns. Have you seen the signs popping up in businesses about assuming liability of Covid if you enter. There was a law passed providing protection except in limited cases https://www.natlawreview.com/articl...egal-immunity-healthcare-providers-businesses

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I really want to see college football too. But I think they are fighting the tide (pun intended). They are going to go up to the last minute based on the hope that there is a big drop. They really don't have a choice and the amount they are spending is a small down payment on what would be made. The option is to give up now when there is still a (small) chance they can pull it off.

I really liked @FredJacket comment that SAs really need to be differentiated between those who make a lot of money (football and basketball) and those who don't.

And @bwelbo concerning hiring competent refs. That is as likely as college kids not being interested in sex and alcohol.

Deleted member 2897

All social events were already against the rules - max gatherings, social distancing, wearing of masks - already existed. LOL. But they got the students’ money!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
And from the Tour de France, entire teams will be removed if two riders (there are 8) or staff (up to 30) test positive or have severe symptoms.

Think about the motivation to not get COVID under those rules! Implementing something like that where college football teams have to forfeit game(s) would go a long way to motivating effective behaviour.

They start in seven days and then hopefully three weeks of racing..... let's hope they can make it. Masks mandated in start and finish areas and number of people controlled. People on the 2156 miles of course are requested to wear masks and distance. Watching the Dauphine, most did unless in what appeared to be families.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At 20% capacity, I am pretty sure they are planning on people being more than 6 feet apart. If you have a family of 4, that means you have 16 empty seats surrounding you. That could be 3 seats to your left, 3 to your right, then an empty row in front (4) and behind (4) and 2 extra seats yet. Plus, unlike churches and bars and what-not, it’s outside.

They could really reduce the yelling by finally hiring competent Refs. :)

People won't be able to do any better than this dog:

The distance to the people in front would only be about 3-4 feet if there is only one row. And it's the people in front getting sprayed when yelling that I was thinking about.

People won't be able to do any better than this dog:

The distance to the people in front would only be about 3-4 feet if there is only one row. And it's the people in front getting sprayed when yelling that I was thinking about.

Don't you think they'll stagger the seating so noone is directly in front of you or behind you? There will definitely be plenty of room to do that.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The COVID numbers at UNC & NC State continue to climb. If this is not happening at other ACC schools I would be shocked. Why not just declare the football season players are employees of the AA and end the charade? They are not being treated the same as other students.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
The COVID numbers at UNC & NC State continue to climb. If this is not happening at other ACC schools I would be shocked. Why not just declare the football season players are employees of the AA and end the charade? They are not being treated the same as other students.

I think, depending on where you live, the reporting and transparency are different. We know in our local county here in N. AL, there have been confirmed cases with students/teachers since school started a couple of weeks back, but the press is not getting any information, and it is not getting out in the public except by word of mouth. On the other hand, in GA, Floyd County to be specific, information is freely flowing, and of course, people have been quarantined and schools have suspended on campus instruction at least temporarily. It is really crazy how each area (and the school leaders in that area) is acting differently with this.

I realize you have to be careful for people's privacy, but I would definitely fall on the side of full transparency, if I was in a position of academic leadership.

Deleted member 2897

No, they just aren’t acting the same. The transmission has nothing to do with being students or not. The vast vast vast majority of students haven’t picked it up - it’s the folks going to parties and other large gatherings. Only like 1% of the entire university has gotten it.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Don't you think they'll stagger the seating so noone is directly in front of you or behind you? There will definitely be plenty of room to do that.

Yes I think there will be no one in the row in front of you or behind. But it's less than 6' to that second row so you'd have to have the two rows (especially for your safety) behind and in front empty to get to 6 feet. Again, I don't think even 6 feet is enough when people are yelling for hours. Thus zero chance for me at a game. Being outside is a lot better than inside, if there is a good wind it's probably just fine. If not, oh well.

All a value judgement. I got my hair cut today (masks for all), run on a trail without a mask going by maybe 50 people for a few seconds at a time and will be flying in December. Those are acceptable risks for me. For others, the football game risk is fine for them which is their choice. But at the end of the day, the people putting on the events are going to have to accept some liability and risk. I don't see that happening. I'll be more than happy to watch on TV and listen to fake fan noise like baseball if games are played.