The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

Techster

Helluva Engineer

FSU players and their parents alleging the virus situation is being mishandled. Leave it to them to try and ruin it for everyone.

I was about to post the same thing. This is the second time an SA has called out Norvell...and he hasn't coached his first game yet. Not a good start for him. That guy better win BIG or it's gonna be a short leash for him.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I was about to post the same thing. This is the second time an SA has called out Norvell...and he hasn't coached his first game yet. Not a good start for him. That guy better win BIG or it's gonna be a short leash for him.

Yep. Really drives home the difficulty of trying to play, as well. By all accounts, Coach Collins is micro-managing the coronavirus situation and Tech is doing a great job. But we can't control what these other goobers do.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Do we think FSU is the only place in the ACC where this is happening?

LOL...like we don't already know that answer. Athletic Departments and coaches depend on players for their jobs and the money they bring in. They're being put in a difficult position because of that.

Now imagine if we actually play, and the star QB or defensive end comes up positive the Friday before a big game, and you're on the hot seat. I don't trust the majority of coaches to make the right choice for the SA in that scenario.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Do we think FSU is the only place in the ACC where this is happening?

Miami -- big ?
FSU -- apparently
GT -- Doesn't look like it
Clemson -- apparently not, they have announced quite a few positive results
NC schools -- probably not because the state government has been pretty strong about regulations, but not sure
Virginia -- ?
VT -- ?
Louisville -- big ?
Pitt -- ?
Syracuse -- probably not because of state regulations
BC -- probably not because of state regulations
ND -- probably not but ?

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Just shows that know matter how well you(GT) do(es) it can be screwed up by the actions of others(FSU).

Hmmmm....Makes ya think about social responsibility and how we should think about doing things for others and not only out of self interest.

Deleted member 2897

Having numbers that are better than SC has not been the governor's goal. But, while you are correct that NC is doing better, we are not where we need to be at this time. All of us are nervous that the school reopenings will generate new clusters like the one here in my county.

Right, but we are in a really good place and better than average in the country. So by virtue of that, North Carolina is even better than that. You have an extremely low case rate and hospitalization rate. We all want to be better, but I hope you know how well your state has been doing.

Deleted member 2897

Just shows that know matter how well you(GT) do(es) it can be screwed up by the actions of others(FSU).

Hmmmm....Makes ya think about social responsibility and how we should think about doing things for others and not only out of self interest.

We play them first. Let’s beat the hell out of them for this.

Deleted member 2897

What metric are you using to make this determination? SC is in the top 10 for active cases and cases per 1 million population. And that's with our tests per 1 million population lagging behind a majority of states.

Yesterday nationwide there was 1 case for every 6,000 people (approximately). South Carolina was 1 case for every 7,000 people. We are better than average. We lag on tests because we do pre-screening to weed out people that don’t need one and because we have lower demand for tests.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Yesterday nationwide there was 1 case for every 6,000 people (approximately). South Carolina was 1 case for every 7,000 people. We are better than average. We lag on tests because we do pre-screening to weed out people that don’t need one and because we have lower demand for tests.

Edited to add that SC has seen significant improvement over the last week.

Georgia prescreens as well, yet they are right in line with the nationwide average. Either way, your numbers don't appear to be correct. Here is the current update:

Attachments

• CV by state.jpg
    CV by state.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 15

Deleted member 2897

Edited to add that SC has seen significant improvement over the last week.

Georgia prescreens as well, yet they are right in line with the nationwide average. Either way, your numbers don't appear to be correct. Here is the current update:

My numbers are correct. Yesterday was 56,000 cases out of 330 million people nationally. South Carolina was 712 cases out of 5 million people.

That chart is sorted by total cases *all time* as a percentage of population.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
My numbers are correct. Yesterday was 56,000 cases out of 330 million people nationally. South Carolina was 712 cases out of 5 million people.

Prior to your response I edited to add that SC was trending positively, but having a few good days does not equate to being better than average in the country. As of two weeks ago we were classified as one of the hot spots globally.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I had already verified your numbers because I did not realize SC had improved that much. I am not cheering for anyone to do worse. My sister and her family live in Greenville, so I want them to have a safe covid environment. What I am beginning to realize is that how people are tested and what percentage test positive varies greatly from state to state. I showed up at the testing site and got swabbed. I was asked a series of questions about fever, cough, travel, etc, but nothing else. My results came back in a few days. My sister waited for more than a week for her results. We were both negative. My son lives in Georgia and got his results back in less than 15 minutes. He was part of a contact tracing thread, so no questions were asked.

Deleted member 2897

Prior to your response I edited to add that SC was trending positively, but having a few good days does not equate to being better than average in the country. As of two weeks ago we were classified as one of the hot spots globally.

New York is listed as one of the worst states in the country. They are actually one of the best places in the country right now.

South Carolina has been trending down for nearly 2 straight months. We have had more than just a few good days. It’s unfair to say (generally speaking, not pointing at you) we’re one of the worst states in the country because of how bad our numbers were 2 months ago just like it would be unfair to tell New York right now that their numbers are terrible.

Regardless of this data discussion, at least we’re squabbling about a good situation (improving numbers). I see massive differences and improvements in people’s behaviors compared to 2 months ago (although there is still room for improvement).