The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

GT_EE78

Banned
Don't take my posts and statements as lobbying for football to not be played. I want for there to be a season. I want to watch football.

I just see many issues that are not being addressed. I don't see anyone players, coaches, media members, or people on this forum who are actually addressing concerns and issues. I see:

• Can we actually finish a season in the fall? Oh, let's just play
  • Can we test enough to isolate players who might become infected? Oh, let's just play. Young people are never hurt by this virus.
  • Is there going to be excessive liability if someone is hurt by the virus? Oh, let's just play.
Plenty of other concerns and questions, but the answer is always the same. Nobody addresses issues. Nobody looks for solutions. Everyone just wants them to play. It would be a much more productive discussion if people actually discussed plans and concerns. Discuss what the odds of actually finishing the season are and what the potential benefits of playing in the spring might be. Discuss issues with testing and how the NCAA might could do a better job with isolation than MLB who tests more often. Instead, people just want to line up one line zingers -- Shut up and PLAY!!!
Nah (did a virus get ur avatar?) Oh, let's just play

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Nah (did a virus get ur avatar?) Oh, let's just play

It's an avatar that I used on another forum a long time ago. I put it as my avatar when I signed up here, in 2015 I think. For some reason it has never actually shown up correctly on here. It is an animated GIF that is probably appropriate for a disease.

2426 (1).gif

GT_EE78

Banned
It's an avatar that I used on another forum a long time ago. I put it as my avatar when I signed up here, in 2015 I think. For some reason it has never actually shown up correctly on here. It is an animated GIF that is probably appropriate for a disease.

View attachment 8770
Cool, thought it was new, it shows up well as posted here but not animated as i normally see it,thanks

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Or, we won't know that unless we play.

If we don't know about health issues then we should err on the side of safety for amateur athletes. If we don't know about liability issues, then it is probably prudent to delay and try to minimize liability. If we don't know if a season can be completed, it is probably prudent to delay and try to maximize revenue when it can be done.

I am not trying to make any political points. I am just pointing out that there should be some understanding before just jumping in. I am not positive what would happen if I empty my bank accounts, take out everything on a equity line of credit, and take cash advances on all of my credit cards to place everything on one roulette wheel spin in Vegas, but I am not going to do that.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
This is all hosh posh in my opinion. A leaked article from a SI guy who’s a big CoronaBro and Cancel Culture fan based on his twitter. I really feel like The SEC is going to pull a huge power move and force everyone to play. We will see, if it is canceled I’m not a fan of spring season. One knee injury puts you out for 2 seasons.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If we don't know about health issues then we should err on the side of safety for amateur athletes...

This is the crux of it for me. If we would quit this sham and pay players their market value, I'd be fine with the "just play" mantra, but as it currently stands, it's not right to let them assume unknown risks just so we can enjoy a season and make billions for colleges and them get nothing from it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This is all hosh posh in my opinion. A leaked article from a SI guy who’s a big CoronaBro and Cancel Culture fan based on his twitter. I really feel like The SEC is going to pull a huge power move and force everyone to play. We will see, if it is canceled I’m not a fan of spring season. One knee injury puts you out for 2 seasons.

I think this whole thing ends up exposing the SEC. They are the conference that can least afford a cancelled season and it's showing.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This is the crux of it for me. If we would quit this sham and pay players their market value, I'd be fine with the "just play" mantra, but as it currently stands, it's not right to let them assume unknown risks just so we can enjoy a season and make billions for colleges and them get nothing from it.

I am on the opposite side of that. There should be a professional league for players who aren't interested in college. College football should be college students who are playing football. Get kids who are interested in school. If they can't keep up, or lose interest, then they could leave for the professional league. I don't believe that would kill college athletics. I think it would give players more opportunities, and it would give more kids who want to go to college opportunities to have it paid for.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I am on the opposite side of that. There should be a professional league for players who aren't interested in college. College football should be college students who are playing football. Get kids who are interested in school. If they can't keep up, or lose interest, then they could leave for the professional league. I don't believe that would kill college athletics. I think it would give players more opportunities, and it would give more kids who want to go to college opportunities to have it paid for.

That would actually be my preference as well, but as it stands, there is no reason for the NFL to pay for what they are currently getting for free.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
That would actually be my preference as well, but as it stands, there is no reason for the NFL to pay for what they are currently getting for free.

Colleges could stop providing it for them. Ensure that players actually can do college work. Ensure that players actually do their college work. As it is now, there are schools that have not only protected their players from having to understand their coursework, there are schools who protect their players from charges related to raping co-eds on campus. Slide the rules and give opportunities to players who probably wouldn't get into a school based on their academic achievements, sure. But ensure that those players actually understand, learn and grow. If you aren't doing that, then you are just using them, pure and simple. If the schools didn't let players who can't do the coursework and players who otherwise wouldn't be kept on campus for disciplinary reasons, then the NFL would have to find some way to analyze players performance without college football.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
But if we stop a sport because of a 0.0001 risk, then CTE and a myriad of other issues should have stopped football a long time ago.
You can’t put any % risk on covid at this point. No one knows the percentage at this point.

CTE And the myriad of other issues usually only affect the player and not all the ppl they come into contact with.

My position is for them to play with strict guidelines and testing. I think sports are good for the country on a mental/public health standpoint. Keep things somewhat normal in this abnormal time. I don’t think its financially possible for a lot of teams to afford all the testing though.

I think most businesses should be up and running with safety protocols in place as well. Bars should be required to close at 10. At this point we’ve seen the selfishness of the American people and we def can’t put humpty dumpy back together.

BigE

Georgia Tech Fan
I wasn't trying to "show" anyone. I was just pointing out a simple issue with comparative math. 1.5% is not "a lot higher" than 2%. In fact 1.5% is not higher that 2% at all. In primary school math, they would teach you that the alligator is eating the 2% of Alabama's team rather than the 1.5% of "society".

I guess that isn't included in the math they teach Alabama athletics.

Saban is right. Positive test rate for the Wuhan Virus is currently running approximately 8%. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

perhaps you should reconsider your analogy.

Deleted member 2897

BigE

Georgia Tech Fan
Saban stat of 2% positive tests should be compared to the current testing rate of 8%, not the positive tests divided by total US population as RonJohn asserts.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I stayed out of this debate yesterday and I am glad. People on both sides of the "should we play" debate want college football. I see that clearly. My current view is that we will know pretty soon and any "I told you so" will be very non-productive.

In my business life, whenever I was faced with a controversial decision, I tried to block out the noise around me and concentrate on the problems at hand and the possible solutions. Hearing what people want to happen wasn't very helpful. I hope that is what the college presidents and conference commissioners are doing right now. All of us want college football, but that desire should not drive this decision if the leaders are doing their job.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

slugboy

Staff member
The NBA has G-League, and the NCAA is an even better farm system for the NBA than it is for the NFL. The NFL has tried Arena League and NFL Europe, so they’re interested in something as a second junior league.
At least some vocal players in the Pac12 are showing that they think they’re getting the short end of the stick this season (or more so than usual). That, plus name and likeness, makes me think that more change is coming to college football.
While this isn’t the year that the NFL will be taking on more risk, you’d think they’re looking at this season in college football as a risk going forward for them. They might do something to cover that risk.

Last edited:

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
The NBA has G-League, and the NCAA is an even better farm system for the NBA than it is for the NFL. The NFL has tried Arena League and NFL Europe, so they’re interested in something as a second junior league.

Kind of interested to see what the Rock does with the XFL. He will give it a cool factor and credibility it never had. It could get interesting depending on what direction they want to take it.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
The Rock says "XFL" baby!