The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
NCAA banned waivers.
Sheeeesh. Kemp just made it more difficult for people to sue companies or businesses if you catch Covid. Maybe needs to be a governor type action if the NCAA won't back the schools.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not understanding how players are safer by not playing, Quention is now are the players/coaches/staff safer outside a controlled environment then within teams schools rules?
With understanding players can opt out.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
A little hope?

Maybe.

"We are trying to move forward [with playing] absolutely,"

That can be taken several ways. "absolutely" or "trying". I would like to see football, but am doubtful that there will be any NCAA football this fall. People on forums make declarative posts and statements, but we won't know for sure until either a postponement is announced or toe meets leather.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I’m not understanding how players are safer by not playing, Quention is now are the players/coaches/staff safer outside a controlled environment then within teams schools rules?
With understanding players can opt out.

The Miami Marlins and St. Louis Cardinals were in and environment of more testing, fewer direct contact people, and a sport that involves much less contact. Once an infection entered their club, the testing and symptom checks didn't work to minimize spread. The Cardinals had reports of more positives today and have cancelled more games. That is twelve days after the first positive, and they haven't been able to stop it from spreading in the club with more tests, better medical care, and more money. The Cardinals do not attend class. The Cardinals don't live in residence halls with college students.

If the players are at home, they are in just as much danger as you and me. They are in just as much danger as my kids. How is that all of a sudden a great risk? Should I keep my kids locked in their rooms if living in a house away from a college is so dangerous?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer

The Miami Marlins and St. Louis Cardinals were in and environment of more testing, fewer direct contact people, and a sport that involves much less contact. Once an infection entered their club, the testing and symptom checks didn't work to minimize spread. The Cardinals had reports of more positives today and have cancelled more games. That is twelve days after the first positive, and they haven't been able to stop it from spreading in the club with more tests, better medical care, and more money. The Cardinals do not attend class. The Cardinals don't live in residence halls with college students.

If the players are at home, they are in just as much danger as you and me. They are in just as much danger as my kids. How is that all of a sudden a great risk? Should I keep my kids locked in their rooms if living in a house away from a college is so dangerous?
Not sure what the "so what" is with what follows but...

There are still only 2 of 30 mlb teams with outbreaks (only 1 with an active problem). This virus is contagious. IF by luck or by adherence to protocol or both... a team manages to avoid an outbreak, it's really possible to play. MLB is proving that. The catch (excuse the pun) is how do you avoid outbreaks.... & what is your tolerance for outbreaks?

Deleted member 2897

Well the good news for the Marlins and Cardinals Team and staff is that nobody has had severe negative health outcomes. Gotta always keep things in perspective.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what the "so what" is with what follows but...

There are still only 2 of 30 mlb teams with outbreaks (only 1 with an active problem). This virus is contagious. IF by luck or by adherence to protocol or both... a team manages to avoid an outbreak, it's really possible to play. MLB is proving that. The catch (excuse the pun) is how do you avoid outbreaks.... & what is your tolerance for outbreaks?

I have made points about MLB vs NCAA football before. MLB tests more than any conference has stated, except what the SEC says they are going to do. (MLB every other day vs SEC three times a week) MLB has fewer people in their "bubble". MLB players don't have to attend classes with other people. Baseball isn't a contact sport. The players aren't in scrums pushing against each other all game long.

As far as how to avoid outbreaks. It isn't quite like an STD, where you can absolutely prevent infection by abstaining from sex. You can minimize risk of infection by staying away from other people. NCAA football is not going to have a "bubble" like the NBA. They will have players, coaches, medical staff, support staff in contact with people not associated with the team. If everyone involved with the team: Stays away from crowds, wears masks, washes their hands frequently, etc.: then the risk of infection reaching the people around the team can be minimized, but not eliminated. If the infection reaches inside the "bubble" around the team, the MLB example is evidence that it cannot be contained by symptom checking or frequent testing.

The tolerance for outbreaks in college football will be extremely low. If there is an outbreak that affects 20 athletes on 1 team, that will be the end of the season no matter when in the season it happens. If only one game has been played, it will shut down. If only two games are left, it will be shut down. If one team has an outbreak and it spreads to another team, which is much more likely in football than baseball, it is likely that lawsuits will be filed.

If such an outbreak occurs, the NCAA players will be touted as pawns who are forced to engage in dangerous activities without pay while the coaches are making millions off of them. Congress will not only protect the NCAA from a players union with monopoly protections, congress will assist players to form a union.

I don't see this as a political issue. I see this as a question of what college athletics are. If it is an amateur sports organization, then safety should be a bigger concern than entertaining middle aged men. Unknowns should side with being overly safe, instead of waiting until there is an issue. If entertaining middle aged men and bringing in money to pay salaries to coaches is more important than unknowns about the health of athletes, then all pretense of amateur college athletics is gone and it should be turned into a professional sports league apart from universities.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well the good news for the Marlins and Cardinals Team and staff is that nobody has had severe negative health outcomes. Gotta always keep things in perspective.

How much of the season have the Cardinals already missed? How many more games are they going to miss?

What happens if it isn't professionals in a union bargained agreement, but amateur athletes? What happens if some of those amateur athletes do have severe negative health outcomes?

From non-health standpoint: What happens to revenue if one or two games are played and things are then abruptly stopped? Is that better than delaying until spring and playing a complete schedule, even if it is only an eight game schedule? I don't think that conferences have to announce right now that they are postponing the season, but they should not actually start the season until they are confident that they can complete the season. I haven't heard anything that leads me to believe that anyone actually believes they can complete the season at this point. People hope they can, but they don't know that they can.

These are amateur athletes, not professionals who have a union that negotiated a contract with employers. Gotta always keep things in perspective.

nod

Ramblin' Wreck

correct me if I’m wrong, but collage players room together and will be placed on restrictions on where they can go “team rules”. MLB players go home and they can pretty much do anything they want. The NBA has bubble closer to what ACC teams will impose and I don’t think they had issues.
Key will be teams creating “team rules” that are similar to NBA bubble

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
correct me if I’m wrong, but collage players room together and will be placed on restrictions on where they can go “team rules”. MLB players go home and they can pretty much do anything they want. The NBA has bubble closer to what ACC teams will impose and I don’t think they had issues.
No 2 bubbles are created alike.

GT_EE78

Banned
Assuming things stay the same (fat chance) with B10 and P10 out,
then this will be a much stronger than usual CFP field.
What a great opportunity to boost revenue by expanding the field to 8.
Big 3 and top wildcard get top seeds and R1 home field.
Lets play and find a silver lining!

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

NCAA players are in college and will be attending class in areas where in person classes are being given. MLB has rules that players are supposed to go directly from home to the ball park, and directly from the ball park to home. MLB has rules that players are supposed to go directly to the hotel from the ball park and from the ball park directly to the hotel.

The NBA has an actual bubble. People can't enter the bubble area. People can't leave the bubble area. They went through a decontamination quarantine period. After that, nobody is allowed to enter, and nobody is allowed to leave. (I believe there have been a few emergency exceptions). The NBA does virus testing every single day on the people inside the bubble. What NCAA teams are planning to do is nothing like that.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Don't take my posts and statements as lobbying for football to not be played. I want for there to be a season. I want to watch football.

I just see many issues that are not being addressed. I don't see anyone players, coaches, media members, or people on this forum who are actually addressing concerns and issues. I see:

• Can we actually finish a season in the fall? Oh, let's just play
  • Can we test enough to isolate players who might become infected? Oh, let's just play. Young people are never hurt by this virus.
  • Is there going to be excessive liability if someone is hurt by the virus? Oh, let's just play.
Plenty of other concerns and questions, but the answer is always the same. Nobody addresses issues. Nobody looks for solutions. Everyone just wants them to play. It would be a much more productive discussion if people actually discussed plans and concerns. Discuss what the odds of actually finishing the season are and what the potential benefits of playing in the spring might be. Discuss issues with testing and how the NCAA might could do a better job with isolation than MLB who tests more often. Instead, people just want to line up one line zingers -- Shut up and PLAY!!!

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Don't take my posts and statements as lobbying for football to not be played. I want for there to be a season. I want to watch football.

I just see many issues that are not being addressed. I don't see anyone players, coaches, media members, or people on this forum who are actually addressing concerns and issues. I see:

• Can we test enough to isolate players who might become infected? Oh, let's just play. Young people are never hurt by this virus.
  • Is there going to be excessive liability if someone is hurt by the virus? Oh, let's just play.
Plenty of other concerns and questions, but the answer is always the same. Nobody addresses issues. Nobody looks for solutions. Everyone just wants them to play. It would be a much more productive discussion if people actually discussed plans and concerns. Discuss what the odds of actually finishing the season are and what the potential benefits of playing in the spring might be. Discuss issues with testing and how the NCAA might could do a better job with isolation than MLB who tests more often. Instead, people just want to line up one line zingers -- Shut up and PLAY!!!

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer

Or, we won't know that unless we play.