The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
If being competitive isn't important, then why play at all? I wouldn't think players would be excited about going on the field if they weren't trying to win.
In this particular case just playing at all isn’t a given. There are going to be outbreaks, there are going to be teams forfeiting games, and there are going to be really good players who can’t play or choose not to play. The Patriots have already lost 6 players just to opting out. There will be more to come. The point is you can decide to live with that and try to get some semblance of a season in or you can cancel everything. Its not some statement of not trying to win. It’s just trying to get through this mess.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I’m hopeful but doubtful.

I did hear that social distancing and mask wearing has finally been approved so the rubes may finally fall in line with ya know science.

There is 0 chance for fans but it’s not like we can go anywhere else so everyone will watch on TV. Ratings will be through the roof. Best ratings ever. Only the best for the ole US.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
In this particular case just playing at all isn’t a given. There are going to be outbreaks, there are going to be teams forfeiting games, and there are going to be really good players who can’t play or choose not to play. The Patriots have already lost 6 players just to opting out. There will be more to come. The point is you can decide to live with that and try to get some semblance of a season in or you can cancel everything. Its not some statement of not trying to win. It’s just trying to get through this mess.

IF we have a college FB season, I hope that the NCAA allows the players the opportunity to sit out the year without penalty. As has been pointed out, there have always been risks with playing the sport but the players and their parents agreed to undertake those risks many years before ever stepping foot on the campus. This is a new thing and if any of y'all have had the pleasure of reading the coronavirus threads on this very site, people's own opinions on this disease and it's associated risks are all over the place. I would feel very uncomfortable with forcing any SA athlete onto the field under duress. It would be the nail in the coffin for the idea that this is in any way "amateur" athletics.

Milwaukee

Banned
I'm not going to die on this hill... but watching the MLB games, you could easily "safely" have more than 0 fans in these stadiums right now. Even if you are super over-cautious about how many you let in... it could be done safely with proper planning and execution.

Agreed. It’s ridiculous we can sit every other seat on an airplane but we can’t space out in MLB stadiums. We’ve gone full retard.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I'm not going to die on this hill... but watching the MLB games, you could easily "safely" have more than 0 fans in these stadiums right now. Even if you are super over-cautious about how many you let in... it could be done safely with proper planning and execution.
What is a safe number of fans?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
What is a safe number of fans?
Greater than 0 is safe...is really my point. Currently, MLB is doing 0. CFB will probably do 0. I think NASCAR is allowing fans now..and I am not aware of any issue; but not following it closely, either. Someone could do some work to figure out the optimum safe number. If you want me to commit to a number for funzies... At BDS... having 3 families per section is PLENTY safe. I'd define a family as a group of 6 or less. That's 18 max per section. Having more than 3 per section is also safe. It some point you get less safe than that...and eventually enter not safe territory. I'd stay far away from not safe territory.

As important as the number is management of the whole thing. Just spitballin.... I'd enforce masks for entry and any movement 'away from your designated seating area'. Once in your seat and well out of range from non-family members, you can remove your mask. You can bring in as much water as you can carry.

ETA... what I'm saying is max capacity is the wrong answer and 0 is the wrong answer. My opinion.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Greater than 0 is safe...is really my point. Currently, MLB is doing 0. CFB will probably do 0. I think NASCAR is allowing fans now..and I am not aware of any issue; but not following it closely, either. Someone could do some work to figure out the optimum safe number. If you want me to commit to a number for funzies... At BDS... having 3 families per section is PLENTY safe. I'd define a family as a group of 6 or less. That's 18 max per section. Having more than 3 per section is also safe. It some point you get less safe than that...and eventually enter not safe territory. I'd stay far away from not safe territory.

As important as the number is management of the whole thing. Just spitballin.... I'd enforce masks for entry and any movement 'away from your designated seating area'. Once in your seat and well out of range from non-family members, you can remove your mask. You can bring in as much water as you can carry.

ETA... what I'm saying is max capacity is the wrong answer and 0 is the wrong answer. My opinion.
I agree with you that it is possible, I just don't think MLB even knows what that number should be and if they don't College Football surely doesn't. Ive seen plenty of random numbers by various teams thrown out there. Im not sure I've seen an explanation for how they came up with those numbers other than just randomly throwing something out that is way lower than full capacity.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I agree that number is greater than 0, but 0 means no liability for the clubs. IMO, the issue is not spacing in the stadium, but rather entry/exit into the stadium. Once in, there is plenty of room to space out, but controlling crowds as they enter and exit from the limited gates is a much greater barrier to cross.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I cant remember who wrote the article but someone wrote about college football recently and the need to just play and get through the season as healthy as possible. Being competitive isn’t really important this year. Seems like that should apply to other sports as well.
Who ever wrote that needs to put the crack pipe down.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The MLB mini season is in serious jeopardy right now. When/if the football season begins it's going to be difficult to keep the coronavirus out of locker rooms if students return to campus. As baseball is learning case zero can be anyone on your team or the team you are playing.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The MLB mini season is in serious jeopardy right now. When/if the football season begins it's going to be difficult to keep the coronavirus out of locker rooms if students return to campus. As baseball is learning case zero can be anyone on your team or the team you are playing.

Only three teams have active cases. Let 'er rip. (Tic)

The consequence of separating a fool from his follies is to breed a generation of fools. Too many ignore facts and so we get what we deserve.

College football will have way more virus risk than MLB. So let's see how much things change in the next few weeks for the MLB. I doubt we play this year.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Only three teams have active cases. Let 'er rip. (Tic)

The consequence of separating a fool from his follies is to breed a generation of fools. Too many ignore facts and so we get what we deserve.

College football will have way more virus risk than MLB. So let's see how much things change in the next few weeks for the MLB. I doubt we play this year.
Nuke... curious who you believe in MLB is getting what they deserve?

The MLB plan was a tough row to hoe... I'll admit. The NHL & NBA will have better chance to finish their seasons.

I posted soon after the Miami outbreak. I was hopeful it would be a wakeup call & we'd look back & be able to give MLB some credit. Still hopeful (less so)... as things are obviously not good TODAY.

The tough row to hoe part was that 1) testing could at least keep up with problem; 2) the teams (players & staff) would do their part.

My sense is... neither #1 or #2 are happening. #1 is not possible to control...there is a lag in getting results. But #2 can be controlled. I doubt we'll ever know to what extent breaches in protocol are happening. Watching games... guys are definitely not avoiding contact (in some cases)

I just wonder if MLB has taken on the impossible OR there's been a rampant (doesn't take much) disregard on how teams are conducting themselves... or somewhere in between.

ETA

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Nuke... curious who you believe in MLB is getting what they deserve?

I didn't say MLB, just meant the US in general. Elon Musk is 100% right that many Americans feel entitled and are complacent, especially in my view the states where we are now seeing the virus spike. (He targeted CA and NY and I'm broadening.)

In specific, people who attended political rallies or protested or went to COVID parties with no masks and got in close quarters get what they deserve IMHO. If they died or got lifelong disability, too damn bad. Unfortunately, most of those people don't get really sick but pass it on to others.

Really good facts in this https://www.hussmanfunds.com/comment/mc200730/ This is consistent with my views (I added bolding):

" Look. This thing has not suddenly gone to sleep. We’ve had 7000 U.S. fatalities from COVID-19 in just the past week. That’s more than twice the number of Americans lost on 9/11. We’ve already lost more Americans than the number of U.S. soldiers lost in World War I; more than in every war since World War II. For those who reveal their baseness of character by arguing that “it’s mostly old people,” I somehow can’t imagine they would have the same dismissive response if terrorists were lining up the same Americans and shooting them in the head. Must we really insist on protecting others only when the response involves hatred and bloodshed, but rail against every measure that involves reason and common humanity?"

One last thing I saw today. The local shipyard is projecting a spike 7-10 days after Labor Day. The college football season will be total toast if Americans over Labor Day are anything like the 4th of July. Want to bet that we change?