The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck
For good news, the NBA reported no positive tests in the Orlando bubble ahead of the restart on Thursday. The bubble method is very expensive, but for a relatively small league like the NBA very effective.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This quote re MLB from last night about sums up my feelings this morning. It's by Chris Hayes of NBC:

“This is a business that has everything going for it. Every resource it needs, every incentive to open safely. And their plan has basically not survived first contact with the virus.”

If the poobahs in Indianapolis and Greensboro and wherever the hell the SEC offices are cannot see this there will be a mess this fall.

Milwaukee

Banned
This quote re MLB from last night about sums up my feelings this morning. It's by Chris Hayes of NBC:

“This is a business that has everything going for it. Every resource it needs, every incentive to open safely. And their plan has basically not survived first contact with the virus.”

If the poobahs in Indianapolis and Greensboro and wherever the hell the SEC offices are cannot see this there will be a mess this fall.

This goes to you, other swarmers, and the media.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I really don't know we will have a college football season this year , one day I think we will the next day I don;t think we will . I really hope we do fans or no fans we need to play, If not it's going to be a mess with scholarships. If the high schools can play I see no reason Colleges can't play. I understand the safety of the players but the fact is anyone can get serious injury playing football , the players and the parents know this to be true, Do we stop playing during the Flu season ?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I really don't know we will have a college football season this year , one day I think we will the next day I don;t think we will . I really hope we do fans or no fans we need to play, If not it's going to be a mess with scholarships. If the high schools can play I see no reason Colleges can't play. I understand the safety of the players but the fact is anyone can get serious injury playing football , the players and the parents know this to be true, Do we stop playing during the Flu season ?

It isn't certain that high schools will be playing football. Some states have moved football to the spring, like Virginia. Some states have split schedules, like California Northern school planning to play in fall and Southern schools planning to play in later. Some states, like Georgia, have delayed the start of the schedule.

High schools have no chance of a workable testing program. If the NCAA cancels football, then high school associations are likely to also. If there is a breakout at a high school somewhere and coaches and players parents get sick and some of them die, then high school associations are likely to halt play.

I am not advocating for high school associations to cancel the season. However they have the resources that college programs do for testing and isolation. College programs don't have resources for testing and isolation like professional teams do. There are legitimate concerns about the possibility of professional and college football. I think high school is on shakier ground. The high school associations might decide not to play for several reasons, some of which I mentioned. School systems and schools might decide not to allow sports for health and/or liability reasons. I would say that the announcements and plans that high school associations are announcing should be taken with a grain of salt until games actually start.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Oh my, not the thoroughly thrashed "flu" comparison again.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If part of the delays are for the conference leadership to watch the NFL, NBA, and MLB to see if their plans are working then the announcements today that games are being delayed because of COVID-19 after one weekend of actual games doesn't look good.
I didn't get the Marlins cancelling their game. If they're going to do this they should just do it. If not, they shouldn't have started.

They should just have to sit the players who tested positive (injured reserve) and muddle on without them. Call up players from the minors if necessary and play on. Otherwise, won't it mess up what's left of the season? Are they planning playoffs this year?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I didn't get the Marlins cancelling their game. If they're going to do this they should just do it. If not, they shouldn't have started.

They should just have to sit the players who tested positive (injured reserve) and muddle on without them. Call up players from the minors if necessary and play on. Otherwise, won't it mess up what's left of the season? Are they planning playoffs this year?
Here is the issue: With half their team in quarantine, and maybe more headed that way soon, the Marlins are no longer competitive. The teams that play this reduced roster have an unfair advantage over those who might play them with a full roster. Also, this is just the first shot in a battle with the virus. MLB is learning that their well thought out plan has flaws. It will be crucial for them to get this under control or the season will be toast.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Here is the issue: With half their team in quarantine, and maybe more headed that way soon, the Marlins are no longer competitive. The teams that play this reduced roster have an unfair advantage over those who might play them with a full roster. Also, this is just the first shot in a battle with the virus. MLB is learning that their well thought out plan has flaws. It will be crucial for them to get this under control or the season will be toast.
So what that they're not competitive. You never know - call up some AAA's and they might win a few. It's their tough luck, just like when a couple of key players get injured. It's just going to screw up what's left of the season. Their plan doesn't seem so well thought out to me. If they aren't going to play a dependable schedule they shouldn't have started in the first place (which might have been the best idea). Baseball has an advantage in that all the teams have a deep reserve capacity in the minor leagues, unlike football, for example. They should use it.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck

supposedly, a few marlins players went to a strip club in atlanta after their game with the braves. if this is the case, the marlins pretty deserve what they get. go be stupid and stupid **** happens.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Who cares if they are competitive? Just forfeit to my Os :)

Back to college football. There are two factors people aren't talking about
1) The "safe" distance for cheering / yelling / signing is more than 6 feet. Google covid & choir singing. We aren't all Duke.
2) False positives of only 1% will stop teams given quarantine for close contact. The % is unknown but not zero. Lots on the net about specificity and selectivity.

Doesn't matter to me. I would not go to a game this fall. And given polls that's 50% won't take a vaccination, well damn.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
A lot of folks were quick with the trigger aimed at the MLB over this Marlins stuff. In less than 48hrs, things see to be more in control than out of control across the 30 team MLB. There is 1 out of 30 with a covid problem right now... included in that 30 is the Phillies who just shared a weekend on the diamond with Miami. Instead of this being a disaster like many seemed eager to declare... it "could" end up being a case study on how to handle outbreaks on a team (in a league). Let's hope so.

It will be a problem for the schedule... but not insurmountable. Play some DH's. Extend regular season a few days. Cut everyone's schedule by a number to match low team's total. Use winning % (if games cannot be made up). Tiny problems in big scheme of things if this ends up being the only "outbreak"... in MLB.

herb

Helluva Engineer
A lot of folks were quick with the trigger aimed at the MLB over this Marlins stuff. In less than 48hrs, things see to be more in control than out of control across the 30 team MLB. There is 1 out of 30 with a covid problem right now... included in that 30 is the Phillies who just shared a weekend on the diamond with Miami. Instead of this being a disaster like many seemed eager to declare... it "could" end up being a case study on how to handle outbreaks on a team (in a league). Let's hope so.

It will be a problem for the schedule... but not insurmountable. Play some DH's. Extend regular season a few days. Cut everyone's schedule by a number to match low team's total. Use winning % (if games cannot be made up). Tiny problems in big scheme of things if this ends up being the only "outbreak"... in MLB.

exactly. A lot of people hoping it’s a problem, wishing for a problem. How about we let it play out and see what happens

Milwaukee

Banned
Some of y’all are really some tin foil hat wearing, hoax shouting insane people. Football ain’t happening. Get over it. On to 2021.

7DCA1563-0E89-4D3D-99DA-865F55B42677.gif

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I cant remember who wrote the article but someone wrote about college football recently and the need to just play and get through the season as healthy as possible. Being competitive isn’t really important this year. Seems like that should apply to other sports as well.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I cant remember who wrote the article but someone wrote about college football recently and the need to just play and get through the season as healthy as possible. Being competitive isn’t really important this year. Seems like that should apply to other sports as well.

If being competitive isn't important, then why play at all? I wouldn't think players would be excited about going on the field if they weren't trying to win.