The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
It did not take long for a MBL player to test positive and have to sit for ten days. So, the Nats will be without Juan Soto for ten days, then he has to have two consecutive negative tests. This should be something the P5 conferences watch closely. It will be very difficult (perhaps impossible) to keep college athletes separated from the student body at their schools.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
It did not take long for a MBL player to test positive and have to sit for ten days. So, the Nats will be without Juan Soto for ten days, then he has to have two consecutive negative tests. This should be something the P5 conferences watch closely. It will be very difficult (perhaps impossible) to keep college athletes separated from the student body at their schools.
You sure about the 10 days? I think he can be tested immediately and 2 consecutive negatives (taken at least 24 hrs apart)... he's back. Reporting up here is he's already taken multiple 'rapid' tests since his positive test results came in yesterday. Those rapid tests ...all negative. Those tests are not part of the protocol MLB to get a guy cleared. ..but my understanding is he could be playing again in about 3 days IF he gets the 2 tests done in next day or so and assuming a 48-72 hr turnaround on the results.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You sure about the 10 days? I think he can be tested immediately and 2 consecutive negatives (taken at least 24 hrs apart)... he's back. Reporting up here is he's already taken multiple 'rapid' tests since his positive test results came in yesterday. Those rapid tests ...all negative. Those tests are not part of the protocol MLB to get a guy cleared. ..but my understanding is he could be playing again in about 3 days IF he gets the 2 tests done in next day or so and assuming a 48-72 hr turnaround on the results.
You are correect. The injured list is changed to ten days but does not include players who get COVID positive tests. Two legit negative tests ar required.

If the first positive was legit, he will not be back in 2-3 days, even if asymptomatic.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
You are correect. The injured list is changed to ten days but does not include players who get COVID positive tests. Two legit negative tests ar required.

If the first positive was legit, he will not be back in 2-3 days, even if asymptomatic.
Not to hijack the thread talking about MLB and Soto... but totally concur on what you said here. He'd had 4-ish negative test leading up to his Tuesday sample/test (the positive...results came in Thurs). MLB tests each player every other day. He's asymptomatic... so, you really hope that indicates a false positive; but obviously, you have to wait for follow-on tests to confirm that. Something to watch is if other Nats now have some positive tests. Even if it is only a few, it will be pretty bad. The Nationals leadership (GM and Manager) have been vocal about how the team has been doing everything to adhere to distancing among players/staff just for this scenario... limit spread if it shows up in the organization.

This thread is about college sports. I have not heard their plan regarding robust testing. I cannot imagine they could afford what MLB is doing. The MLB is testing everyone and often. Their plan/program seems good to me at finding and isolating positives quickly. Another piece of this Soto situation that was reported....the Nationals did do some sort of contact tracing regarding Soto and determined there was no broken threshold with any other player that forced them to quarantine anyone else. I have no details on how that is done. Obviously, he's been "around" the team.

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow

Very interesting!

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Duke University will only allow freshman and sophomores to live on campus in the Fall. That includes student-athletes. Upperclassmen will only be allowed on campus for access to the library and labs. This will be interesting as upper class athletes will be wandering up and down 9th Street every night. I can imagine social distancing will be gone by September.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Duke University will only allow freshman and sophomores to live on campus in the Fall. That includes student-athletes. Upperclassmen will only be allowed on campus for access to the library and labs. This will be interesting as upper class athletes will be wandering up and down 9th Street every night. I can imagine social distancing will be gone by September.

Isn’t the lab for sociology a bar, McDonalds and a 7-eleven? Maybe for a Dookie it’s
the Country Club, Marina and villa? I’m sure they can read the picture books on line.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
If part of the delays are for the conference leadership to watch the NFL, NBA, and MLB to see if their plans are working then the announcements today that games are being delayed because of COVID-19 after one weekend of actual games doesn't look good.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This goes to you, other swarmers, and the media.

I get that. I wasn't saying that the MLB season is over. I was trying to ask if this can put a damper on the plans the conferences have. I don't believe the conferences will have the ability to test every player and coach as often as MLB does. As they are putting plans together and monitoring the ability of professional teams with much more money handle the issue, will issues such as the Marlins' outbreak give them pause?

Milwaukee

Banned
I get that. I wasn't saying that the MLB season is over. I was trying to ask if this can put a damper on the plans the conferences have. I don't believe the conferences will have the ability to test every player and coach as often as MLB does. As they are putting plans together and monitoring the ability of professional teams with much more money handle the issue, will issues such as the Marlins' outbreak give them pause?

I get ya. I think the conferences are gonna be fluid throughout the season. There will probably be cfb games that will need to be cancelled as well. I’m thinking they’re not going to have a hard rule on anything, we can only hope.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I get ya. I think the conferences are gonna be fluid throughout the season. There will probably be cfb games that will need to be cancelled as well. I’m thinking they’re not going to have a hard rule on anything, we can only hope.
With a tough set of rules, MLB and the NBA are already having issues. It is hard for me to see how we get a full season of football at GT.

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
With a tough set of rules, MLB and the NBA are already having issues. It is hard for me to see how we get a full season of football at GT.
CFB camps should be starting up this week or next week and conferences do not have any plans in place. I think the hope for football is slipping away.

herb

Helluva Engineer
CFB camps should be starting up this week or next week and conferences do not have any plans in place. I think the hope for football is slipping away.

I think they do have plans and we will know very soon what that plan is. ACC and SEC presidents are having their respective meetings Wednesday. The SEC AD’s meet Thursday. Word is there is a push to back up the season to first weekend of October and go with an 8 or 9 +1 schedule. There is general agreement the +1 portion will be scheduled no matter how many conference games