The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I watched most of a MLB game yesterday. No fans in the stands. Boring to the extreme. Players, like musicians on the stage, thrive on the support and excitement coming from the fans. It was not the same. Not even close.

I have never seen a baseball game that wasn't boring, so that sounds like things are like normal.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
Which game did you attend? You ought to try another one when you can. The Tech baseball is very exciting to watch.

When I go in person they are fun, but watching on TV is next to impossible for me. Baseball is the one sport I think personally I won't watch a game of. I can still enjoy football and basketball on TV but baseball is a live game for me.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When I go in person they are fun, but watching on TV is next to impossible for me. Baseball is the one sport I think personally I won't watch a game of. I can still enjoy football and basketball on TV but baseball is a live game for me.
I agree that being in person is far superior. The point you are making is an important one, even if unintentional. Being a part of the event (in this case as an active spectator) is one of the joys of sports. Being at the that Braves game when Sid Bream slid across home plate was a moment to remember forever. My wife watched it on TV, but her memory is not as vivid. I think football without fans is also going to suffer greatly. And it will carry over to the TV watching experience. That shared excitement is completely missing on TV games with no fans.

Edit: That is why watching a game at a sports bar works better than sitting in your den watching alone.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Which game did you attend? You ought to try another one when you can. The Tech baseball is very exciting to watch.
There’s nothing quite like watching a 9 run lead evaporate in the 8th inning after walk number 7 and 2 HBPs, giving up 2 more runs in the top of the 9th due to 3 throwing errors. then watching a walk off 3 run homer in the bottle of the 9th.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good article on trying to do some one off old rivalries to fill slots if the season happens

PAC12 initial plans - 10 game conference schedule starting Sept 19 with 2 bye weeks.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Gary Stokan says there has to be fans in the stands to make the Kickoff Classic games work

''If there are no fans allowed in the stadium, then we can't do these games primarily because we only exist in our budget on ticket revenue and sponsor revenues,'' Stokan told The Associated Press on Thursday. ''All the TV monies are negotiated in a conference package. That money all goes to the conference.''

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Vote to keep an eye on tomorrow. Hopefully the NCAA will hold off on cancelling fall sport championships for at least a little while longer

I think the use of the word "tragic" in the article is a bit strong, but the writer states the situation pretty well.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Mark Emmert back in May:

Makes it hard to play football on Spetember 3rd if students aren't even planned to be allowed on campus until September 13th at the earliest.

Yepper, ☹️
As much as I want to be at BDS@HGF watching the game on 9/3, I have almost accepted that it is not going to happen. :sick:

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
There’s nothing quite like watching a 9 run lead evaporate in the 8th inning after walk number 7 and 2 HBPs, giving up 2 more runs in the top of the 9th due to 3 throwing errors. then watching a walk off 3 run homer in the bottle of the 9th.
Watch a Braves game lately ?😁

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t really see the point in a plus one model. Might as well try to play the normal schedule.

I had the same mindset until I saw the reasons behind it.

If you're only playing conference games, the conference can mandate testing and safety protocol. If all P5 conferences agree to the same protocol, you can keep the kids safe if all games are between P5 teams.

Who knows what the FCS teams, who likely can't afford the same amount of testing, are requiring at their level. The P5 games would be most of their season's athletic budget. If the smaller teams are struggling to have a full roster because of covid, the fear is that they might field a few untested questionable players to make sure they get their payday. (note: I'm not accusing any teams of bad intentions. This is just the line of thinking I've seen in other articles.)