The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to refute your statements with information from CDC and Johns Hopkins. But my posts on this subject get moved to the political discussion while yours (and others) remain here that are just as political.

The mods on this board have frequently found ways to censor views they don't agree with. I guess they have that power, just like the government has power to take inappropriate action.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Man you gotta stop with this stuff. The virus has literally been around for about five months in the US. How can there be any evidence of “long term” health issues when there hasn’t even been a long term. Is two months in recovery “long term?”

Deaths and hospitalizations are what we need to be using to decide policies in sport and everything else. As long as those two measures are under control then there should be no forced restrictions. Right now we are trending in the right direction and I think everything will ultimately be based on these two measures.

Yes, 2 months in recovery from a respiratory virus for an otherwise healthy person is a big deal and something to take seriously. The fact that the virus is new is even more reason to be concerned about post-viral complications. Hospitilizations are most definitely not trending in the right direction. Deaths are, and I hope that holds up.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Is that true? I doubt that’s true. I can think of one death as a direct result of college football from the last decade or so - the Maryland kid that sunk Edsall’s career. Are there any more I’m forgetting? A couple deaths out of close to 100,000 kids? I’m guessing the death rate would be higher for corona for players. Although they’d both be very small.

It’s also not just the kids. Its the older staff that’s higher risk. It’s the spike in secondary cases as a direct result from teams not distancing. Broken necks aren’t contagious.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t play. It just seems like the NCAA is completely passing the baton to the schools. So there’s no central plan. Which was the point of the OP.

A hospital administrator and physician that I talked to while walking told me the chances of a young person with no immune system complications dying from COVID is about 10,000,000 to 1. By young he meant under the age of 50. No immune system complications meant, he said, no diabetes, no obesity, no lupus, no heart or lung issues, no this and no that. I am about at the point where I would vote not to have the season and not pay coaches or administrators and let them see how the other half has lived like millions of Americans who are unemployed through no fault of their own.

albanyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Some of you are worrying about a 100 football players possibly spreading the virus to faculty and such. What about the other 20,000 students just as likely (more?) to spread the virus.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Man you gotta stop with this stuff. The virus has literally been around for about five months in the US. How can there be any evidence of “long term” health issues when there hasn’t even been a long term. Is two months in recovery “long term?”

Deaths and hospitalizations are what we need to be using to decide policies in sport and everything else. As long as those two measures are under control then there should be no forced restrictions. Right now we are trending in the right direction and I think everything will ultimately be based on these two measures.
There are many places not trending in the right direction. The city of San Antonio sent out an amber alert today asking people to stay home because hospitals are nearing capacity from the spread of Covid. You want to pack 90k into a stadium with that going on?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Ramblin Red I appreciate the research and additional information. I am of the opinion that there is no certainty in life and every day brings a chance for joy or disaster. I believe as free people we should have the opportunity to make our own decision on how to live life and what risk to take. There is a lot of guidance and research out there for the public to review and draw conclusions from. I just think that if you feel it is safe for you as an individual to participate in an endeavor you should have the right to do so. On the other hand, if you feel it is not safe, then you should certainly be allowed to make the choice not to participate. If you are 18 and choose to defer to your parents on making those decisions, well, that is your right as well. Many folks today look to some higher authority to tell them how to live their lives, feeling it provides some sort of fallback in the event something goes wrong. That way, they will have someone to blame for their bad experience and hopefully some recourse to seek restitution to recover whatever loss or injury might occur. I think the young men, staff and coaches should decide for themselves whether they wish to play or not. I think you would find a majority of them would. I further feel the fans should decide whether to attend the games or not based on how they feel the risk might play out.

I fear that if we wait to see all of the potential impacts of this virus we will never play or watch football again. Let's let those that choose to participate do so.

Go Jackets!

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
A hospital administrator and physician that I talked to while walking told me the chances of a young person with no immune system complications dying from COVID is about 10,000,000 to 1. By young he meant under the age of 50. No immune system complications meant, he said, no diabetes, no obesity, no lupus, no heart or lung issues, no this and no that. I am about at the point where I would vote not to have the season and not pay coaches or administrators and let them see how the other half has lived like millions of Americans who are unemployed through no fault of their own.

10,000,000 to 1 eh? Some quick googling says US population is about 328M and about 66% of that is under 50. So about 216M. What percentage of that do you think falls out of the categories you specified. Half? So maybe ~100M under 50 with no complications? Assuming all of them catch the virus at some point this year (over-estimation) we’re looking at 10 deaths total from that sub group? Not sure I buy that.

You’re also assuming none of our players/staff have underlying conditions or are over 50. Our staff might all actually happen to be under 50 right now? But that’s certainly not the case around the country. UNCs gonna have to put Mack in a full body condom for the whole season.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Some of you are worrying about a 100 football players possibly spreading the virus to faculty and such. What about the other 20,000 students just as likely (more?) to spread the virus.

You have a point. But schools are inevitably going to have at least a portion (maybe all) of classes online. There’s also the problem of football teams traveling to opponents stadiums, catching/spreading, and returning home. Traveling wouldn’t be required for students. That’s the whole reason NBA/NHL are trying to eliminate travel from the equation.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ramblin Red I appreciate the research and additional information. I am of the opinion that there is no certainty in life and every day brings a chance for joy or disaster. I believe as free people we should have the opportunity to make our own decision on how to live life and what risk to take. There is a lot of guidance and research out there for the public to review and draw conclusions from. I just think that if you feel it is safe for you as an individual to participate in an endeavor you should have the right to do so. On the other hand, if you feel it is not safe, then you should certainly be allowed to make the choice not to participate. If you are 18 and choose to defer to your parents on making those decisions, well, that is your right as well. Many folks today look to some higher authority to tell them how to live their lives, feeling it provides some sort of fallback in the event something goes wrong. That way, they will have someone to blame for their bad experience and hopefully some recourse to seek restitution to recover whatever loss or injury might occur. I think the young men, staff and coaches should decide for themselves whether they wish to play or not. I think you would find a majority of them would. I further feel the fans should decide whether to attend the games or not based on how they feel the risk might play out.

I fear that if we wait to see all of the potential impacts of this virus we will never play or watch football again. Let's let those that choose to participate do so.

Go Jackets!

Jerry that is a valid opinion and I don't have any issue with you having that opinion. As i said at the bottom of my post i wouldn't cancel college football games at this point due to the players.
And I agree that any that sit out should be allowed to do so.
Heck the bigger problem is going to be all these campuses with 10,000 of people on them, not all 18-21. And universities have an underlying responsibility to provide a safe environment to their students - now whether the students screw that all up is on them.

i would probably argue against having any fans allowed at the games, especially if the current trends don't start changing soon. Colleges cannot take the chance on having large outbreaks occurring at their sporting events. That has bad PR and potential lawsuits written all over it. And more importantly you are being a poor community member if you are having events that could eventually become super-spreader events in the community.

I'm a college basketball fan first and college football fan second and I don't even have a clue how they are going to handle playing college basketball. 3X as many teams, indoors, during the winter.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Here's an article from May outlining each of the top tier soccer leagues in Europe (Premier - England, La Liga - Spain, Bundesliga - Germany, Serie A - Italy, Ligue 1 - France).

https://www.espn.com/soccer/english...-ligamore-stand-with-finishing-2019-20-season

None of them are allowing fans at the moment. France Ligue 1 play is still suspended until September.

UEFA just made an anouncement that they will begin Champions League (season long tournament with best teams in the leagues mentioned above) and Europa League (2nd tier teams not in Champions League) soon and fan attendance is to be determined:

https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/06/17/champions-league-rescheduled-lisbon-final-eight-tournament

I'm on another board that has a covid and international sports thread. So I did find some additional places with fans in the stands. Still didn't find any in Europe.
in Australia they are currently allowing 2,000 fans for rugby and Australian Football League games. In Hungary and Vietnam they have no restrictions for football (soccer). Now Vietnam has 0 cases currently and 355 total reported. Hungary reported 4 cases yesterday.

South Korea is planning on allowing some fans back into their sporting events. Still working out the final plans but it sounds like it is likely to be 25-30% of capacity.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I’m confused by those against low risk members of society getting and spreading the virus. It’s in everyone’s best interest for low risk individuals to get sick and recover. High risk, not so much. Parents who feel their kids are in good health should be perfectly fine with their kids playing football, attending class, and in general being a normal part of society.

This is ultimately how we get past this thing. And spare me the, “there’s no proof of immunity” argument. Common sense tells you that if that were true things would be even worse than they are now.

Gotta get kids on campus, athletes playing sports, people working, etc.

Ultimately let everyone make their own decision. That’s kind of the premise this country was founded on...

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
Focusing on death alone might not be enough. There is at least some evidence for longer term health issues in even asymptomatic young people. Does no good to be cavalier about something we are just starting to understand.

Not to mention extended hospitalization and potentially being on a ventilator, which can lead to long term health issues.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Focusing on death alone might not be enough. There is at least some evidence for longer term health issues in even asymptomatic young people. Does no good to be cavalier about something we are just starting to understand.
Again, how can there be evidence for long term health issues? There are no studies with any statistical significance that could possibly suggest this to be true, given that no one has been recovered long enough to gauge long term health effects.

Sorry, but I mastered in statistics at Tech, so it’s been quite humorous watching everyone quote these “statistics” for the past few months that are proof of this or that. A better statement would be, “we don’t understand the long term health effects,” which would be accurate.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Again, how can there be evidence for long term health issues? There are no studies with any statistical significance that could possibly suggest this to be true, given that no one has been recovered long enough to gauge long term health effects.

Sorry, but I mastered in statistics at Tech, so it’s been quite humorous watching everyone quote these “statistics” for the past few months that are proof of this or that. A better statement would be, “we don’t understand the long term health effects,” which would be accurate.

I agree with you on the long term health issues. Too soon to know on that. There have clearly been some short term issues.
Ultimately we have to balance allowing people to go about their business, but not doing it in a way that overwhelms health care systems and creates too much fear and anxiety where people won't interact with others - those lead to negative outcomes both in health and economics that we want to avoid. That's ultimately not a completely individual decision, that's a community decision whether it be local, state or federal. There has to be legitimate discussions to figure out what will work.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I agree with you on the long term health issues. Too soon to know on that. There have clearly been some short term issues.
Ultimately we have to balance allowing people to go about their business, but not doing it in a way that overwhelms health care systems and creates too much fear and anxiety where people won't interact with others - those lead to negative outcomes both in health and economics that we want to avoid. That's ultimately not a completely individual decision, that's a community decision whether it be local, state or federal. There has to be legitimate discussions to figure out what will work.
Yeah I mean that’s the thing. If the hospitals blow up then we have to shut down again. But I’m not sure it’s going to happen. It may. But you can have football games without that being a problem if you do it right and don’t panic when someone gets sick that attended or played in a game (because it’s going to happen)

Milwaukee

Banned
I'm providing the best information I can find, i wish i could say you were doing the same.
I'm not trying to lie, or even provide inaccurate info. I've attempted to post the most accurate info that is known at the time.
I haven't seen you post much of anything supported by any facts - maybe you should be the one to stop posting because you don't even try to be accurate.

Don't worry, I'm not going to run away just because you want to try to be a message board bully who comes with no facts, and nothing helpful.

Hit me up in the Euro Soccer thread. We can chat there.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

There are studies out there. We can argue all day about them but I'd stipulate that it's simply too soon to have enough data to make sweeping statements about long term health impacts.

Except, that's what the US Military did. As of now, if you've ever tested positive for COVID-19 you are disqualified from future military service. No waivers currently available. We know both MERS and SARS cause long term damage, it's reasonable to believe COVID-19 will as well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Getting a little testy in here. Wonder who, if anyone, will come out on the losing end. I think we all know, and it ain't right.

All of us are losing and it sucks. Ain't no winners.

We should be talking about which freshmen is impressing the staff, and which of the guys worked their way into beast mode over the offseason. Instead we're arguing about Covid.

F%ck Covid...this sucks to hell..