The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

MacJacket

Helluva Engineer
23 of the 28 SA’s at Clemson we’re football players. I have a sad, sinking feeling there’s not going to be a football season this year. Yes, the death rate is trending down and recoveries are up but there’s too much liability for the schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
23 of the 28 SA’s at Clemson we’re football players. I have a sad, sinking feeling there’s not going to be a football season this year. Yes, the death rate is trending down and recoveries are up but there’s too much liability for the schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there will be a season because the AA's can't see any way to survive without the football money, but it could quickly get turned inside out like what happened to college basketball if there starts to be large numbers of SA's hospitalized or if there is a death. I'm more concerned with whether the season finishes than if it starts.

Definitely worth watching though as cases in the US have increased almost 25% in 9 days. Hospitalizations hit their low point 4 days ago and are slowly starting to increase again. Thankfully deaths are still declining, but that will eventually change if cases keep rising.

I think the season is going to feel strange this year. We don't know how many, if any, fans are going to be allowed in the stands. It is likely that there will be teams with outbreaks that could cause games to be cancelled. There will be players that will miss games due to the virus.

So far college football/sports have been the slowest to figure out how they are going to handle everything. That is largely due to there being no central organization making decisions, it's sort of every school, every conference having to make their own decisions.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill are all under a face mask order. It will be interesting to see if the NC State, UNC and Duke abide by that order during "voluntary" workouts. Governor Cooper is considering a statewide order with enforcement requirements for all of NC. This could severely impact the progress of the state's Div I teams.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Should we have a poll to see who would go to a GT football game at different stadium capacities?

I know I wouldn't at any capacity until there is an effective vaccine (which I don't expect to have more than short term efficacy at best) for two reasons
1) I don't want to kill some of our immune compromised friends we have dinners with
2). I don't want to get really sick. I know there people who have had it and it can be very long and intense.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
MLB has closed all spring training facilities due to the outbreaks in FL and AZ. It is reconsidering going back to a bubble idea with all teams in one or two cities (and if they do FL, AZ, and TX might be out as possibilities). Of course they have to get past their labor disagreements first.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...cleaning-after-covid-19-outbreak-per-reports/

As far as Navy's question, i don't plan to attend any college football or basketball games this year. I'm 50 and healthy - but not interested in potentially being a statistic. My wife is a cancer survivor so she is automatically in a higher risk category, so I can't take any chances there even if I wanted to go. My parents are in their late 70's so I wouldn't want to take the chance on being a presymtomatic carrier. Any sports for me this year will be on TV.
I've known 3 people personally who have had it. A 17 yr old friend of my son who had a mild case. A healthy 25 yr old neighbor (icu nurse) who spent 3 days in the hospital and 14 at home and a 60 yr old relative who managed to stay out of the hospital but was at home for over 3 weeks.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Both Atlanta United and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are reporting positive tests.

While I fully expect there to be a season. i'm starting to wonder if the odds of one without fans in the stands is starting to increase.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Both Atlanta United and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are reporting positive tests.

While I fully expect there to be a season. i'm starting to wonder if the odds of one without fans in the stands is starting to increase.

Fans in the stands is wishful thinking, IMO. Imagine a hundred super-spreader events taking place every weekend, with most P-5 and pro games being uber-spreader events. We're all trying to pretend we're back to normal, and it's 100% genuine make-believe. We'll be lucky to have the games at all, even without fans.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
This is why a season with fans in the stands:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/...pus-with-40-million-on-the-line?cmpid=FNC_app

They don't make that money without season ticket sales, individual game sales, bookstore sales and concession sales. TV money is nice, but it's not enough to keep the shop afloat.
We need to rethink the way we handle supposedly amateur sports if we are forced to ignore significant public health concerns to keep athletic associations from cratering financially. I’m also not sure why it was ok for Disney to lose over a billion dollars but we have to get back to normal and get as many people together as possible so UNC doesn’t lose a tiny fraction of that.

We need to rethink the way we handle supposedly amateur sports if we are forced to ignore significant public health concerns to keep athletic associations from cratering financially. I’m also not sure why it was ok for Disney to lose over a billion dollars but we have to get back to normal and get as many people together as possible so UNC doesn’t lose a tiny fraction of that.
Disney is reopening, may have already reopened.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Fans in the stands is wishful thinking, IMO. Imagine a hundred super-spreader events taking place every weekend, with most P-5 and pro games being uber-spreader events. We're all trying to pretend we're back to normal, and it's 100% genuine make-believe. We'll be lucky to have the games at all, even without fans.
I still think we have games with fans. How many fans will be allowed to attend is the question.