The ACC will delay the start of competition for all fall sports until at least Sept. 1

Deleted member 2897

"Darryl Conway, Michigan chief health and welfare officer, said the team has not entered the “red-red” zone established by the Big Ten, which forces a team to shut down all activities when the total test positivity rate exceeds 5% and the population rate exceeds 7.5%."

So that means probably 6-10 players maximum actually have COVID. They've had 2 weeks since the Penn State game that they've been struggling with what appears to be primarily contact tracing. Welcome to the club Michigan, we know how it feels. We were down 33 scholarship players alone. Now Ezzard is out too. And then you have walk-on players - if you look at Michigan's roster, they have 132 total players including walk-ons. So they have according to this press release about 85 available players. LOL. "We can't play with only 85 players." 🤷‍♂️

GT_EE78

Banned
I think Ohio State And ND are in because of ratings. Even if ND loses to Clemson.
The only thing the CFBPO committee likes more than fairness is money.
And I think TV pulls more strings than my tin foil will handle.
I agree about ND
other depends on what you assume for results.my speculation follows
I assume - 4 of Bama,OSU,Clemson,ND,Fla,A&M will be in

If Bama>Fla and Clem> ND
(out= Fla,A&M)
If Bama>Fla and ND> Clem
(out= Fla,Clem)
If Fla>Bama and Clem> ND
(out= OSU,A&M)
If Fla>Bama and ND> Clem
(out= Clem,A&M)

Deleted member 2897

Big props to Boston College showing how its done - 1 positive test all time since June practice started. That's putting in a lot of good work while also remaining a competitive team.

I don't mind them for opting out of a bowl game. Probably won't happen anyway, so rather than face uncertainty, they can wrap it up and turn out the lights now.

GT_EE78

Banned
Here's a better choice for the chinavirus CFP
personally if they didn't play 9-10 games, I'd make them start at a play-in round
1607801884876.jpeg

SimpleGT

Jolly Good Fellow

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
What a huge crock of s—t
A continued slanted narrative and scare tactic. The NYT needs to be put out of its misery
Could you please point out which part is “fake news”? It’s a long article and I didn’t read it but it seems to be a lot of information. Just want to know what isn’t true. Thankskbai

SimpleGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Could you please point out which part is “fake news”? It’s a long article and I didn’t read it but it seems to be a lot of information. Just want to know what isn’t true. Thankskbai
The history of the decision and the flip flops is fine and hopefully based on facts from actual interviews. But they attributed motivation to President Trump that is not known and are editorial on their part, not news or facts. Then they ended the article with another editorial portrayed as news -“But the cost for that will never be tallied. How many of those Saturday afternoons spent watching football games with friends bear some responsibility for the 100,000 confirmed Covid-related deaths around America since the first snap of a Big Ten game this season? And because we’re still learning about this novel virus, the damage it wreaked on hundreds of players may not become evident for years. The lasting effects of the 2020 college season are unknowable”. It may be unknowable, but the spin is that hundreds of players and thousands of fans are damaged or dead.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The history of the decision and the flip flops is fine and hopefully based on facts from actual interviews. But they attributed motivation to President Trump that is not known and are editorial on their part, not news or facts. Then they ended the article with another editorial portrayed as news -“But the cost for that will never be tallied. How many of those Saturday afternoons spent watching football games with friends bear some responsibility for the 100,000 confirmed Covid-related deaths around America since the first snap of a Big Ten game this season? And because we’re still learning about this novel virus, the damage it wreaked on hundreds of players may not become evident for years. The lasting effects of the 2020 college season are unknowable”. It may be unknowable, but the spin is that hundreds of players and thousands of fans are damaged or dead.
It's a magazine essay, not a news story. I disagree with some of the piece, but I think he did a good job with it. Now, if you simply do not think the NYT is legit, I can understand your POV. I have been reading the Times for most of my adult life and see it as mostly aimed at the truth. That means it occasionally misses the mark. But it's not because they don't care.

SimpleGT

Jolly Good Fellow
It's a magazine essay, not a news story. I disagree with some of the piece, but I think he did a good job with it. Now, if you simply do not think the NYT is legit, I can understand your POV. I have been reading the Times for most of my adult life and see it as mostly aimed at the truth. That means it occasionally misses the mark. But it's not because they don't care.
I have a philosophical issue with any news outlet that mixes factual news with conjecture and editorial content. That seems to be the norm these days, but the NYT has coasted on its history and reputation to present opinion as fact. If they want to write editorials and label them as such, fine with me

Deleted member 2897

I have a philosophical issue with any news outlet that mixes factual news with conjecture and editorial content. That seems to be the norm these days, but the NYT has coasted on its history and reputation to present opinion as fact. If they want to write editorials and label them as such, fine with me

I mean, they talked about how 1 guy from Indiana got really sick and that several showed heart issues at one point. But of course they never finished the story, explaining how every one of these guys fully recovered and returned to the team at full strength to play the season. They also didn't state that not a single solitary suspected case of transmission ever occurred while playing a football game. Like you said, what else would you expect from the NYT. They probably didn't mean for their article to come off like a joke making fun of the BigTen, but it sure did. The truth is that teams all over the country successfully played most of the season, there wasn't a single suspected case of transmission nationwide in any football game, there isn't a single reported case of a single student athlete with a long term health issue, and so on. But that type of positive, accurate assessment of news stories isn't their jam.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Not sure how many NY Times readers we have, but this is a good essay regarding the B1G football decision. Hopefully it's not behind their paywall.

Good article. Most of the Big 10 decision making process was already known but it was nice to see some actual quotes from some of those involved. The part about football basically driving large (and sometimes illegal) social gatherings which in turn helped drive surging covid numbers was pretty interesting though. There was no way to avoid that other than not playing. That would apply to the NFL as well. It would be interesting to see a wider study done on that. Something we can possibly learn from in the future.