That's A Wrap...

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
The seat will definitely get hotter. Since the buyout is still large, he may get one more year, but he does not deserve another year.
Since we are our own worst enemy (think hill) CPJ is our best option. No one else including Saban could have done any better!

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Chan's classes sucked too but the players seemed to progress better than what Paul seems to be able to get out of them.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Vad Lee is not an option quarterback and will never excel in that situation. His reactions are not quick enough, and he is indecisive in the option system. There are two options, either replace Vad Lee with someone quicker and more decisive, or change the system to suit the talents of Vad. If this is not done, the results will be the same. This is not Vad's fault, it is the fault of the coach; square peg in round hole.
Congrats to myself! I just replied on another post your same conclusion!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Chan's classes sucked too but the players seemed to progress better than what Paul seems to be able to get out of them.
I agree to a degree! He had that one great class. His other classes are about equal to cpj's. I agree he got more out of his system. The difference is that the top 30 programs; for ever reason are stronger than then. imho!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
When Paul got here he turned an irrelevant team to being relevant. Now we're right back to where we began. Even with all the restrictions the city of Atlanta should be a big enough draw for student athletes in my opinion to be a 8-9 win team every year. I just don't think Paul can do it like I did in the beginning. He doesn't seem to get recruiting and today's athletes. A Navy and Tech recruit are very different.
Good post!

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
I think Ole Miss was the better team...period. We still had a shot but that's all woulda coulda...if they'd hit those field goals it's not even close at the end.
We lack the 1-8 players and it showed.
Vad is maddeningly inconsistent...beautiful one play and horrid the next. Not nearly as poised as he needs to be play to play. Have been unimpressed with his ability to run the option...impressed at times with his throws but doesn't seen to grasp the offense as well as I'd expect at this point in his career. Maybe the light will turn on but I currently favor seeing more if JT. At least splitting time though I know that would hamper vad's further development.
We need SOMEONE to fill sneezy's vacancy (huge concern)
Last statement will not happen for at least a couple of years.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Just goes to show one great recruiting class made a difference in this game. Nkemdiche disrupted the line as soon as he stepped on the field in the second quarter. I hope we can get a another game changing player, but its going to have to be someone that loves Georgia Tech and what it stands for!
You said rec. class! My hmo equals O.M 4 and 5 star fr. against our 2 @ 3 star srs.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Sims blocking today was so bad it might have been a different outcome had he not whiffed on so many. Is he normally that bad?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Very gut-wrenching. The hardest part for me to swallow was that (except for the int, 1-play 72 yard td pass) we just couldn't get it together on both sides of the ball, in tandem, to play with any momentum.

And I agree, watching David Sims get repeatedly whipped was frustrating. Just another cog in the chain of events making Vad back pedal and throw off his back foot.

I think in the post game interviews he basically said he had a poor game (I have not listened to the recording of it in the earlier line).. You're right, he was beat regularly and that helped created problems with the passing game.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Did Zennon and Bostic play tonight? Now that the season is over Eric can you provide more details about who you think is leaving..?
On a completely different note the team should have carried Attoucho and Godhigh off the field on their shoulders. What a career they have had at GT!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Just goes to show one great recruiting class made a difference in this game. Nkemdiche disrupted the line as soon as he stepped on the field in the second quarter. I hope we can get a another game changing player, but its going to have to be someone that loves Georgia Tech and what it stands for!

Amen to that... they'd better enoy him the next two years ...

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
The team with the better QB won. He made good reads. It was my first live game in a long time. Observations:
1. Vad needs to step up in the pocket sometimes.
2. Vad needs to take what is there instead of forcing the ball deep. He turned down a sure ten yards running several times in favor of a low percentage throw, often in situations like second and nine.
3. There is really no talent difference evident to me between these two teams.
4. We ran on the wrong side of blocks quite a few times.
5. They jumped the count with huge run blitzes several times with ease-timing.
I respect 99% of your post. My difference to this is that their true talent are mostly freshmen!
There definitely needs to be changes in O-line coaching for next year. They haven't been able to block, Vad doesn't look like an option quarterback.
Agree!
I bet there will be some flips before signing date.
There definitely needs to be changes in O-line coaching for next year. They haven't been able to block, Vad doesn't look like an option quarterback.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I want to see players at Tech do great but I wonder if Vad would be better if he chose to play at Duke? I've heard numerous times he has a great relationship with Cutcliffe.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
Vad made a lot of friends in the backfield this year. Never seen an offensive line with such inconsistent play. CPJ better hope Custis is the next Dwyer. His job depends on it. Want to see Custis, Andrews and Days starting in the backfield. Griffin and Devine starting on o-line. Devine is way too talented to sit on the bench in favor of the guards we have now. If we can block we can win.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
IMO - The system is not Vad's problem. 70% of college football teams run some sort of read option. Vad's reads have improved as the season has went along, and are usually better when he is under center. I will admit my data sample is skeewed because we run more from our base formation.

Vad is his own worst enemy. Lets look at the last pass play where he threw a pick. Vad had protection in the pocket, but instead of stepping up, he tried to roll out. He had to evade the defender and threw a lame duck off his back foot. This is a mental mistake, and it is a coachable moment. This has nothing to do with our option offense, it is just signs of a maturing QB.

I think we are fortunate to have some really good athletes on our team. I really do not buy into the argument that most teams out talent us by a wide margin. Sure some teams will have periodically better talent, but I do not feel the talent gap is as wide as percieved. Vad would start for a lot of teams we play. He has the talent, but he needs to be coached up mentally, an that is not system dependent.