Thacker should be done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not sure they learned much from that scripted drive since everything they ran was working and churning big yardage.

Their next defensive stand came on the 20 after a blocked punt. After a quick first down conversion to get them to first and goal, they had to score the TD on 4th and goal. The next drive they gained 46 yards and were about to punt when our inability to play without 12 men put them in FG range, which they missed. Then we forced them to punt on the next drive. The final TD of the first half was probably the dagger, as it had the two long runs that sealed it. We actually had an INT on the last drive of the half.

I think Thacker initially adapted well, but Kiffin is an offensive master with a talented OL and a very good QB running his offense. Without any pressure from our offense, we placed the entire game on the back of our defense, and that was never going to work against Kiffin.

TechBurn

Jolly Good Fellow
Kiffin indicated that after 6 rushing touchdowns, he wanted one of his QBs to pass more, but implied that he had mercy on GT! Unbelievably, It could have been much worse!

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Kiffin indicated that after 6 rushing touchdowns, he wanted one of his QBs to pass more, but implied that he had mercy on GT! Unbelievably, It could have been much worse!

It could have been. But at some point the offense has to do SOMETHING to help out.

53 yards rushing. OL gave up 12 TFL, including 7 sacks, and allowed another QBH. We had two drives of more than 6 plays in the entire game. One of those 12 play drives traveled 37 yards.

Tjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
There has to be something wrong with Sims. He has cut his runs short of the 1st down multiple times now, including the 3rd down run that failed and led to the blocked punt. He'll bounce a pass off of a defender's hands and not even slap his helmet or react at all. Why did we not even try to run out a different QB in the 4th quarter when we had done nothing all d
It's similar because in both instances our fanbase expects instant gratification without bothering to think that it might take a season to get it fixed...

The issue isn't Long, it's CGC waiting too long to fire CDP in the first place
Amen

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
It could have been. But at some point the offense has to do SOMETHING to help out.

53 yards rushing. OL gave up 12 TFL, including 7 sacks, and allowed another QBH. We had two drives of more than 6 plays in the entire game. One of those 12 play drives traveled 37 yards.

Brent key’s year 4 sparkling OL.

Oakland

Helluva Engineer
Last year Notre Dame and Georgia called off the dogs on us. They could have scored in the 70s like Clemson did a couple of years ago. Ole Miss could have score in the 60s on us. The many fans from the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s, and on, are probably rolling in their graves.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

maybe not the right thread, but I can not understand CGC's reluctance to make a change at QB, at least for a series or two, to give the starter a chance to observe from the sidelines to see the action.

you never, the #2 guy might get hot and sustain a drive.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
maybe not the right thread, but I can not understand CGC's reluctance to make a change at QB, at least for a series or two, to give the starter a chance to observe from the sidelines to see the action.

you never, the #2 guy might get hot and sustain a drive.
Which is interesting because if we remember the 2019 season, he couldn't help but sub the QB constantly. From one extreme to the other.

wrmathis

Ramblin' Wreck
Which is interesting because if we remember the 2019 season, he couldn't help but sub the QB constantly. From one extreme to the other.
Difference was those three weren’t his qbs and probably didn’t want to play any of them. Simms is his guy.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
While you can pick and choose some good stats on defense (havoc seems to be good, high numbers of tackles for loss and all), the aggregate still isn't good. 112th in defensive SP+, 107th in defensive FEI. Against Ole Miss we gave up a 50% success rate, 7 yards per play, 9.5 yards per pass attempt (counts sacks as lost yardage). Havoc rate of 15% is fine, but not great. Are we better than last year? Probably, but that's improving from literally the worst pass defense in the country.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
I will never understand how he didn't get canned last year. The defense was worse than the offense.
My interpretation is that Thacker has basically been CGC's "avatar" this whole time. CGC has been telling him exactly how to run the defense, while CGC is free to do other head coach things. Before Tech Thacker was DC at Temple for 1 year. Before that, he was a position coach at a different place each year going back to 2013.

Thacker Backer

Georgia Tech Fan
My interpretation is that Thacker has basically been CGC's "avatar" this whole time. CGC has been telling him exactly how to run the defense, while CGC is free to do other head coach things. Before Tech Thacker was DC at Temple for 1 year. Before that, he was a position coach at a different place each year going back to 2013.
How do you feel about Thacker now? That was probably the best defensive effort by Tech in the last 15 years. Maye would have been the favorite for the Heisman with a big win tonight.

gtie73

Ramblin' Wreck
Yea, so what’s the issue?

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
While you can pick and choose some good stats on defense (havoc seems to be good, high numbers of tackles for loss and all), the aggregate still isn't good. 112th in defensive SP+, 107th in defensive FEI. Against Ole Miss we gave up a 50% success rate, 7 yards per play, 9.5 yards per pass attempt (counts sacks as lost yardage). Havoc rate of 15% is fine, but not great. Are we better than last year? Probably, but that's improving from literally the worst pass defense in the country.
Why even bring up Ole Miss stats when we were severely handicapped by c*****s

ScGold

Banned
Tackling has been better as the season has progressed. Several players have emerged as playmakers.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
I've not liked Thacker, was not in favor of retaining him at the end of any year, was hoping he got canned with the clown, etc. I did keep an open mind when he was retained which wouldn't have been my choice, but I gotta say he's at least a Top 50 DC. He could be a Top 30-40 DC. Who knows, maybe better if he didn't lose all of his good linemen?

I don't change my mind often, but he's moved to the keep him pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.