Tesla's New Smart Summons

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

Deleted member 2897

I've also seen dumb*** geriatrics driving the wrong way as well....

So the fact that the law against incompetent senior drives isn't well enforced justifies incompetent unmanned cars running into things everywhere? LOL. You should watch the videos in that link. One Tesla was in its garage, pointed straight out, and the drive executed the new summons feature. It acts all confused, turning its wheels both directions back and forth instead of just driving straight out. And it runs itself into the wall. While its owner acts confused that such a thing could have possibly happened. Probably while vaping with a tide pod in their mouth.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So the fact that the law against incompetent senior drives isn't well enforced justifies incompetent unmanned cars running into things everywhere?

No, it was just pointing out how stupid your "hurr durr tide pod and vaping" nonsense is especially since the generation that was mostly involved in the tide pod challenge are almost certainly not the ones who created nor are owning the cars.

Deleted member 2897

No, it was just pointing out how stupid your "hurr durr tide pod and vaping" nonsense is especially since the generation that was mostly involved in the tide pod challenge are almost certainly not the ones who created nor are owning the cars.

Oh now I get it - you don't like my post for reasons other than the actual substance. If you're not a tide pod eating vaper, then you shouldn't take offense to such a comment anyway. Not sure why that would bother you. But oh well. Anyway, back to the substance - the summons feature appears to be less than version 1.0. And I'll let you insert your own adjectives for the people who watch their cars wreck themselves instead of just driving them.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Oh now I get it - you don't like my post for reasons other than the actual substance. If you're not a tide pod eating vaper, then you shouldn't take offense to such a comment anyway. Not sure why that would bother you.

I don't like your post because it reeks of just wanting to take shots at a generation needlessly, especially they are irrelevant to the actual subject.

As far as the actual substance of your post, new technology not working 100% is hardly a new thing or unexpected. Hell, at least it isn't the Pinto bursting into flames.

Deleted member 2897

I don't like your post because it reeks of just wanting to take shots at a generation needlessly, especially they are irrelevant to the actual subject.

As far as the actual substance of your post, new technology not working 100% is hardly a new thing or unexpected. Hell, at least it isn't the Pinto bursting into flames.

Sorry I polluted the post. I just found it sad quite honestly that people are so lazy that they'd stand there and watch their own car drive itself into walls, resulting in thousands of dollars in damages. Its needless laziness. And like you said, being new technology and unproven, yet they were willing to risk thousands of dollars in damages just for the sake of who knows what.

Animal02

Banned

Yeah.....I guess that should only happen in the Football forum. ;)

jpilgrim6

Georgia Tech Fan

Sure, there seems to be some issues with this summons feature. But the number of accidents caused by self driving cars is way less than the number caused by human drivers. The future is fully automated self driving cars for everyone.

Deleted member 2897

Sure, there seems to be some issues with this summons feature. But the number of accidents caused by self driving cars is way less than the number caused by human drivers. The future is fully automated self driving cars for everyone.

Hardly anybody is using self-driving cars, so that's kind of a strange argument. (Self driving cars have way less accidents than human driven cars.)

When I was in Atlanta a couple weeks ago, there was a street for fully autonomous vehicles. They were given their own lane, walled off from the main traffic. Why would that be? And hilariously enough, I happened to be jogging by while one of them was stopped at a bus stop. There were 2 employees inside. LOL. So the future is probably fully automated self driving cars for everyone where you have to still drive and pay attention and its actually only safety features that can be initiated given certain conditions. Which is fine and understandable. Hell, that Tesla was lined up straight out of the garage - all it had to do was roll forward, and it couldn't do it and ran itself into the wall.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Who here thinks letting your car drive itself without you even in it is a good idea? LOL.

I think it is a very good idea. However, the cars and software are not ready yet. Tesla hasn't even been installing radar/lidar on their cars and plans to use only cameras for self driving, so I'm not sure that Teslas will ever be ready for on the road self driving. When it is actually ready, getting in a car and being chauffeured to a destination while being able to work or entertain yourself will be much better than today.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I fully expect self-driving vehicles and indeed self-driving drone vehicles are in the future of mankind....just maybe not in my lifetime (but I'm old, so....)

Deleted member 2897

I think it is a very good idea. However, the cars and software are not ready yet. Tesla hasn't even been installing radar/lidar on their cars and plans to use only cameras for self driving, so I'm not sure that Teslas will ever be ready for on the road self driving. When it is actually ready, getting in a car and being chauffeured to a destination while being able to work or entertain yourself will be much better than today.

Well there is a subtle difference here. You talked about getting in a car and being chauffeured, whereas the new Summons feature doesn't have any human in it. Having cars driving and navigating around without any human there to monitor alarms, safety, navigation, etc. seems way ahead of the current technology curve to me. My car has lane switching alarms, too close following alarms, and other features like that in it. They are incredibly inaccurate. Which is fine, they are used by me as monitoring/alarming tools and don't actually take their own action. If the technology improves, then also taking action could seem reasonable to me, but we're not there yet. But its even one step further where a car is driving down the road to come get you and nobody is in it at all. So far based on customer feedback, the technology can't even handle the most simple of driving maneuvers - like leaving a driveway safely, LOL.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well there is a subtle difference here. You talked about getting in a car and being chauffeured, whereas the new Summons feature doesn't have any human in it. Having cars driving and navigating around without any human there to monitor alarms, safety, navigation, etc. seems way ahead of the current technology curve to me. My car has lane switching alarms, too close following alarms, and other features like that in it. They are incredibly inaccurate. Which is fine, they are used by me as monitoring/alarming tools and don't actually take their own action. If the technology improves, then also taking action could seem reasonable to me, but we're not there yet. But its even one step further where a car is driving down the road to come get you and nobody is in it at all. So far based on customer feedback, the technology can't even handle the most simple of driving maneuvers - like leaving a driveway safely, LOL.

I agree that the technology isn't ready yet, and stated that in my post. Cars won't be ready for that in the very near future. When I described being chauffeured, I meant being chauffeured and not paying attention at all to what the car is doing. Mercedes had a concept car that didn't even have a windshield. The four seats in the car all faced each other so the passengers could work or socialize until they reached the destination. There wouldn't be a need for a person in the car if the person isn't monitoring the car at all. Your car could take you to work, your kids to school, and then charge itself until needed. If you get sick and have to leave work, then the car could come get you. If your kid gets out of school before you leave work, then it could take them home. If you don't have a car, then you could have a self driving car come get you, take you to where you need to go, and then just go away.

In relation to the summon feature, Tesla has a habit of releasing things before they are ready and describing things as better than they are.

Animal02

Banned
I agree that the technology isn't ready yet, and stated that in my post. Cars won't be ready for that in the very near future. When I described being chauffeured, I meant being chauffeured and not paying attention at all to what the car is doing. Mercedes had a concept car that didn't even have a windshield. The four seats in the car all faced each other so the passengers could work or socialize until they reached the destination. There wouldn't be a need for a person in the car if the person isn't monitoring the car at all. Your car could take you to work, your kids to school, and then charge itself until needed. If you get sick and have to leave work, then the car could come get you. If your kid gets out of school before you leave work, then it could take them home. If you don't have a car, then you could have a self driving car come get you, take you to where you need to go, and then just go away.

In relation to the summon feature, Tesla has a habit of releasing things before they are ready and describing things as better than they are.
Great future potential to relieve congestion in cities...car drops you where you need to be and parks itself a smile away waiting for your summons.....but that is a ways off.

ctcjb

Georgia Tech Fan
I use the summon feature on my car almost every day. Pull in the driveway, get out, and start the "summon" sequence. The Tesla opens the garage door, pulls in, puts itself in park, and puts the garage door down. I've had the car for 4 years, driven around 100,000 miles, used the summon feature to park probably 500+times with no issues at all.

Now the new Smart Summon feature.....I'm not sure we are ready.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think I can trust Tesla's smart summons until they're equipped with these bad boys:
Airplane-autopilot.jpg