Tennessee Game Observations (Non-football)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I wanted to post some "non-football" observations:

1. GT showed well at the game. It was close to 50/50 from what I could tell.

2. UT fans outnumbered us greatly at the fan fest, and the general attitude I got from them was that we were a brand name cupcake for them.

3. I don't recall any SEC! SEC! chants after the win. UT fans were streaming out as fast as the GT fans.

4. Speaking of streaming out, whoever designed the exit flow paths from MBS needs to be dragged somewhere dark and beaten soundly.

5. VERY subdued UT fans leaving the game. I encountered almost no gloating, and the one guy who did was quickly silenced by fellow UT fans very upset at their teams performance.

6. The observation was made by several UT fans that the Vols just got Christmas early, and that GT fans should feel better about the loss that UT fans should feel about their win.

7. The UT fan next to me during that game was aghast at how efficiently we carved up their defense. As he got drunker, and the yardage total grew, this got extremely amusing.

8. MBS is an amazing stadium, until you want to leave. (See #4 above)

9. I proudly wore GT gear today as I spent the day in ATL before heading home, and I got a LOT of comments about ho good GT looked last night. We may not have won the game, but it seems we served notice that we are a real threat to beat P5 teams. I loathe moral victories, but I'll take that one.

10. I'm semi-OCD, and hated only having 9 points.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

2. UT fans outnumbered us greatly at the fan fest, and the general attitude I got from them was that we were a brand name cupcake for them.

3. I don't recall any SEC! SEC! chants after the win. UT fans were streaming out as fast as the GT fans.

4. Speaking of streaming out, whoever designed the exit flow paths from MBS needs to be dragged somewhere dark and beaten soundly.

5. VERY subdued UT fans leaving the game. I encountered almost no gloating, and the one guy who did was quickly silenced by fellow UT fans very upset at their teams performance.

6. The observation was made by several UT fans that the Vols just got Christmas early, and that GT fans should feel better about the loss that UT fans should feel about their win.

7. The UT fan next to me during that game was aghast at how efficiently we carved up their defense. As he got drunker, and the yardage total grew, this got extremely amusing.

9. I proudly wore GT gear today as I spent the day in ATL before heading home, and I got a LOT of comments about ho good GT looked last night. We may not have won the game, but it seems we served notice that we are a real threat to beat P5 teams. I loathe moral victories, but I'll take that one.

A shyttload of Tennessee fans are p*ssed off at Butch Jones right now. He's definitely walking on eggshells.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
The line isn't only a 91% ROI and looked like it was a 68% favorite in Tennessee so not a whole lot of people won small more likely. Old gold looks rough on TV but it looked like we did a decent job of filling out

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Good observations and report. Thanks .

Very similar to mine.

Thanks for showing the colors today. Well done.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

If those vol fans are old enough to remember the way Tennessee used to play defense, they would be sick. General Neyland must be rolling in his grave right now.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

It looked to me like they were blocking half of the stairs to keep people away from the soda fountains and the people cleaning the food/bar areas. They were trying to push the full stadium through half of the exit ways. It also appeared as though they were trying to prevent the escalators from getting more than half full. Someone was at the bottom of the escalators pulling the handrails to make sure they didn't stop. Maybe the escalators still don't work correctly?

The AJC had a lot of "fan reaction" on Twitter to issues getting out of the stadium. But surprise surprise, there wasn't any actual journalism to actually try to find out what the issues were.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
It looked to me like they were blocking half of the stairs to keep people away from the soda fountains and the people cleaning the food/bar areas. They were trying to push the full stadium through half of the exit ways. It also appeared as though they were trying to prevent the escalators from getting more than half full. Someone was at the bottom of the escalators pulling the handrails to make sure they didn't stop. Maybe the escalators still don't work correctly?

The AJC had a lot of "fan reaction" on Twitter to issues getting out of the stadium. But surprise surprise, there wasn't any actual journalism to actually try to find out what the issues were.
Par the course for the Urinal Constipation.

The Augusta sportswriter who surprisingly was at the game (they don't attend many Tech games) said the stadium was spectacular, and he doubted anyone had any complaints. HA !!! Get out of the press box, and you might experience what the rest of us experienced.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow

Blocking people from soda fountains? LOL, they could have just cut the power to them at the end of the game if they were worried about inventory shrinkage ;)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
It also appeared as though they were trying to prevent the escalators from getting more than half full. Someone was at the bottom of the escalators pulling the handrails to make sure they didn't stop. Maybe the escalators still don't work correctly?

Actually, this one I understand. The issue was that the storage area for the escalator exit was already maxed out. By allowing people to use the escalators, you'd be forcing even more people into that crowd, and create a safety hazard once people could no longer exit the escalator. The other option would have been to turn them off and transform them into staircases.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

There are three rules to live by:

1. Never get involved in a land war in Asia.
2. Never go against a Sicilian when death is involved.
3. Never schedule GT if you don't have to.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Went the entire day yesterday and not a single person gloated toward me at all. Everyone pretty much said we should've won. Hate those kinds of losses but I don't believe it'll change the outcome of our season at all. Non-conference game and even a loss that way early in the season will look better down the road than a W against a Presbyterian.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This is what I saw when I left:
Actually, this one I understand. The issue was that the storage area for the escalator exit was already maxed out. By allowing people to use the escalators, you'd be forcing even more people into that crowd, and create a safety hazard once people could no longer exit the escalator. The other option would have been to turn them off and transform them into staircases.

The escalator that I went down didn't have a crowd at the bottom, pretty clear. It was one going to the bottom level toward the main exit. And as I said, there was a guy at the bottom pulling the hand rails as if they were concerned that the escalator would stall out. If there had been a crowd at the bottom, I would have understood it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
This is what I saw when I left:

The escalator that I went down didn't have a crowd at the bottom, pretty clear. It was one going to the bottom level toward the main exit. And as I said, there was a guy at the bottom pulling the hand rails as if they were concerned that the escalator would stall out. If there had been a crowd at the bottom, I would have understood it.

Gotcha. The escalator they had blocked by me was overloaded at the exit. Either way, it was a disaster.

DirtyDingusMagee

Georgia Tech Fan

------------
This was my experience as well. I had many TN fans tell me they stole one and they were very complimentary. A few also said they never want to play GT again.