Tennessee Game 1

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Good question, I want to hear what he has to say as well. @Ibeeballin if you were DC for UT, how would you want to defend CPJ's offense?

Not really but it does limit your playbook quite a bit.

I would do mix of what Kansas did with 4-4 and VT 4-2-5 with the OLB and Big Safety stacked by the DE, blitzing A and B gaps almost every play. I want everything in the perimeter forcing pitches

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Not really but it does limit your playbook quite a bit.

I would do mix of what Kansas did with 4-4 and VT 4-2-5 with the OLB and Big Safety stacked by the DE, blitzing A and B gaps almost every play. I want everything in the perimeter forcing pitches

I agree that disrupting the middle, stopping the BB, and forcing the QB to pitch would be my strategy. It causes more ball handling risk, gets hits on the QB, and the D knows where you are trying to force the ball to go. Fortunately for GT the ABs may light you up on the perimeter and the QB may hit some long passes. There is no really good answer against this team unless you can manhandle the blockers.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If I had beast for DT I would force the runs inside.

2nd Quarter LB blitz as a change up to mess with blocking adjustments.

I would do a random CB blitz every 6 downs. Don't do it enough to get predictable.

I would do the MLB 7 yards deep and only scrape down if I had trouble stopping the inside. MLB is ABack coverage all the way on outside. Flow with the OG.

Second half I would introduce the 4x4 line up and start cross charging to mess up half time adjustments.

Pinch down on OT and center to prevent release.

Start off unbalanced to get the play call/check and shift balance before snap?

Good question, I want to hear what he has to say as well. @Ibeeballin if you were DC for UT, how would you want to defend CPJ's offense?
Go back in time. Go ahead and surrender a long pass or two. The defense to stop the veer and wishbone was the 5-2. Use the 5-2 and bring the strong safety up. In the 5-2 all the holes are covered and as long as your D-end takes the Q back you can stop the option.....for a while.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

I would do a random CB blitz every 6 downs. Don't do it enough to get predictable.

I would do the MLB 7 yards deep and only scrape down if I had trouble stopping the inside. MLB is ABack coverage all the way on outside. Flow with the OG.

Second half I would introduce the 4x4 line up and start cross charging to mess up half time adjustments.

Just shut up, will ya? Trying to tell them how to beat us??

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Go back in time. Go ahead and surrender a long pass or two. The defense to stop the veer and wishbone was the 5-2. Use the 5-2 and bring the strong safety up. In the 5-2 all the holes are covered and as long as your D-end takes the Q back you can stop the option.....for a while.

That works well against the run as you say but it really requires 4 good DBs one on one against the pass, especially the safety you bring up. A matchup with our ABs would be a rough night if the QB can deliver with some accuracy. Probably a good plan against an unproven QB or one proven to be not a good passer. Also if the center can handle the NT the wide line splits will give a good BB like Mills room to roam. I coached the 5-2 for many years and wide line splits (with good blocking) would force me into a different D.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
The problem is not scheme but rather stopping every different option that our offense presents. It's the same against any offense but the different ways others hurt you are basically the same from team to team. Our offense is so radically different from others that players have difficulty being disciplined enough on every play to stop it. Even if coaches have a scheme that will technically work executing that scheme is the hard part. Of course much better players cancel all advantage.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer

The whole point of having the Abacks at the LOS, instead of back in the wishbone is to present 4 verts at the snap, though, which scares the piss out of a defense running a 5-2. You're singled up the whole way across the secondary, and you better have your safeties shallow or the quick dump to the Aback is there all days.

That's REALLY asking a lot of your DB's (particularly your strong safety).

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

:stop:You mean your scheme is dependent upon personnel? Fail:p

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Was eating pretzel sticks the other day. I broke one in half and, for some reason, it made me think of the Battle of Wounded Knees.

#Tenneknee
#BOWK

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I am skeptical of any person that gets paid to coach at the highest levels of college football that can't discern between a cut and a chop. He's either an idiot, or like Frank Beamer, a charlatan.
Remember Bob Davie made a TV career conflating the two, and wound up with a good option game at New Mexico. Where he uses either the cut or chop, he is no sure which.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
The whole point of having the Abacks at the LOS, instead of back in the wishbone is to present 4 verts at the snap, though, which scares the piss out of a defense running a 5-2. You're singled up the whole way across the secondary, and you better have your safeties shallow or the quick dump to the Aback is there all days.

That's REALLY asking a lot of your DB's (particularly your strong safety).
I love your insight. The veer pass puts pressure against any scheme where you are trying to play man vs the A backs. They can't cover the pitch and cover man on pass. If the safeties are completely man they have issues against the run. That's the beauty of the offense as you know and why we love to watch it so much. The average fan of the average offense has trouble seeing the beauty in this system.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Never has a coach achieved so little with so much. Butch is in over his head.
I want Butch to coach a great game and Tennessee to play a great game and their fans to cheer a great game and the parking lot to park a great game. And Tech to roll on every possession and sort out cut and chop later