Tenn Tech (Tues) & Ga State (Wed)

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Nice bounceback win!! Excellent pitching with only 2 mistakes and I really like the new look lineup.
Agree on the nice win.
Agree on pitching.
Help me with the lineup. Tenn Tech mistakes accounted for a lot of runs. Early in game, we left too many RISP. I know I need to be patient with the freshman, but it ain't easy. Need those guys to hit/execute above their age. (y)

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
Agree on the nice win.
Agree on pitching.
Help me with the lineup. Tenn Tech mistakes accounted for a lot of runs. Early in game, we left too many RISP. I know I need to be patient with the freshman, but it ain't easy. Need those guys to hit/execute above their age. (y)

Also would note that our standard lineup would have Austin at 2B and Holland at C. Both out of the lineup tonight Austin so he could pitch apparently, and Holland so he could get some rest behind the plate.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Agree on the nice win.
Agree on pitching.
I liked putting Compton between Hall and Radcliff. I feel like this gives protection to Compton and also will help Hall get on base more.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Agree on the nice win.
Agree on pitching.

The upperclassmen are not doing as well as the Fr. Waddell and Webb with 4 errors each. Fr only have 1 error (Holland) while non-Fr have 11.

Batting average of non-Fr regular players from the bottom: Baron .205, Austin .212, Colin .243, Webb .250. Waddell .316 and Guldberg .475 are doing what upperclassmen should be doing.

Looking at ERA with pitchers over 8 innings, Hughes 5.52 / 2-1 nd Roedig 4.40 /1-2 are at the bottom while Fr Maxwell 2.25 / 1-1 and Dalton Smith 2.08 / 1-0 are better. Bartnicki is the best at .87 / 0-0.

https://data.ramblinwreck.com/stats/baseball/2020/teamcume.htm

But I'll be positive. The future is bright(y)

Really doubt we play tonight - near 100% probability of rain with almost 2" in the next 36 hours.

Going to be a cooler weekend - high in low 50s but clear for VT.

eokerholm

Helluva Engineer
Incoming! We are getting drenched in Texas up to 2 inches today and it is heading on a rope your way.

Attachments

• A6FC4CAE-67A9-4C62-9C47-BA7998B9214F.jpeg
    A6FC4CAE-67A9-4C62-9C47-BA7998B9214F.jpeg
    813.4 KB · Views: 14

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
The upperclassmen are not doing as well as the Fr. Waddell and Webb with 4 errors each. Fr only have 1 error (Holland) while non-Fr have 11.

Batting average of non-Fr regular players from the bottom: Baron .205, Austin .212, Colin .243, Webb .250. Waddell .316 and Guldberg .475 are doing what upperclassmen should be doing.

Looking at ERA with pitchers over 8 innings, Hughes 5.52 / 2-1 nd Roedig 4.40 /1-2 are at the bottom while Fr Maxwell 2.25 / 1-1 and Dalton Smith 2.08 / 1-0 are better. Bartnicki is the best at .87 / 0-0.

https://data.ramblinwreck.com/stats/baseball/2020/teamcume.htm

But I'll be positive. The future is bright(y)

Really doubt we play tonight - near 100% probability of rain with almost 2" in the next 36 hours.

Going to be a cooler weekend - high in low 50s but clear for VT.
Ok.. maybe I'm overreacting based on "mainly" the early innings last night. And my comments were specific to last night's stuff. Your numbers speak for themselves; but I'll [nit] pick on them below a little. But...last night, we had Waddell(BB), Guldberg(bunt single), Hall(F9/moves Waddell to 3rd), Guldberg(SB). Gets runners on 2rd/3rd w/ 1 out. Freshman strikes out. [granted this is my personal biggest pet peeve... failing to get run in with guy on 3rd less than 2 outs] Then Radcliff(IBB) loads bases. Freshman strikes out to end inning. I think this start made me hyper focused my concern about freshmen... to your point. Thanks. I'll concede the problem is more global.

Radcliff gets a lot of attention from "us critics" ...Going into last night's game, he was leading the team in RBI. Also in walks... giving him a respectable OBP. Pitchers are being very cautious in their approach with him and unless the guy batting behind him is named Waddell or Guldberg (which is not happening), that will continue. He is going to have to be the most disciplined hitter on the team given his toolset and where he bats in the lineup if his BA is going to be very high.

I'll take a minor issue with your cherry-picked numbers regarding errors. Waddell and Webb (and Wilhite) are going to get the overwhelming majority of the chances defensively. Simply using the absolute number of errors to compare is unfair. On the other hand, 4 errors each this early in the season is too many...and their current fielding %'s... are too low. Something to keep eyes on; but I'm thinking it'll improve.

One glaring problem (right now) is wild pitches. Last year, we saw 0.73 wild pitches per game. The pace this year is 1.41 per game. Technically... a wild pitch is charged to the pitcher; but the catcher can stop quite a few of those. Something that needs to improve.

As far as I'm concerned, the pitching is not a problem at all.

I agree the future is bright... actually very bright. And any "blame" for current inadequacies probably should not be lopped onto the freshman... plenty to go around across the roster.

I am quite excited to see how this team navigates the ACC schedule and I fully expect them to improve. @THWG has said that many times and his track record is pretty good. I'm counting on it.

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Was working on a Focal Species Paper while I was watching game so I wasnt as interactive as I normally would be. I thought the guys took care of a team they should always beat handily. Thought the contact hitting was good, think Baron still strikes out too much. He gets so wrapped up in getting fastballs early in the count, that the opposing pitcher just lobs a few breaking balls in there and suddenly he finds himself protecting the zone. Ramsey needs to get with him or Hall needs to move him back to the 8 or 9 spot until his confidence comes up. Reid looks good, hes got some serious pop.