Film Room Tenn 8 Offensive Slow Motion Video

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
Look at the cushion those DBs are giving!!

And no it's not just Nebraska and GT.
Take another look. It's 1st & 10. Boundary CB is in his face. Play side is 6 yards off the line of scrimmage on slot and 8 yd cushion on wr. Both are positioned well inside the 1st down marker. The other DB in run support with first step towards LOS so they're on somewhat of an island. To my eye, they're positioned about right. But I'm not a coach or an expert like some here so chances are that I'm wrong.

What frustrates me is when we set up behind the sticks on 3rd and short and our first step is backwards resulting in a short toss and catch to convert. Drives me nuts. Nebraska doesn't look to be doing that on this play.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Take another look. It's 1st & 10. Boundary CB is in his face. Play side is 6 yards off the line of scrimmage on slot and 8 yd cushion on wr. Both are positioned well inside the 1st down marker. The other DB in run support with first step towards LOS so they're on somewhat of an island. To my eye, they're positioned about right. But I'm not a coach or an expert like some here so chances are that I'm wrong.

What frustrates me is when we set up behind the sticks on 3rd and short and our first step is backwards resulting in a short toss and catch to convert. Drives me nuts. Nebraska doesn't look to be doing that on this play.

I agree. Not bad alignment at snap given down and distance.

Also double agree that our problem is lining up 8 yards deep when a first down is only 5 yards away, and then we backpeddle hard at the snap.

I would have a hard time as a player doing that if that is what is being coached.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@strong90

I agree the alignment on this play is fine. Was using a bit of sarcasm to tweak those who complain anytime our DBs play off.

Fwiw I agree we can and should improve some of our play and play calling in some down and distance situations. I just think those deficiencies are blown a little out of proportion by some.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Not holding as defender did not make the extra step to break away. When he was hit by the blocker he simply went down in the block her landed on him. O ne little step and definitely holding.

while I was watching is I was amazed how well-the safety and the defensive end moved in unison , kept their feet apart , move parallel to the line of scrimmage. Not over commiting but moving to point of attack.
I bet we see more of that by our defense in 17..

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
I like the run-blitz in this situation. Caused timing issues with RB and OL and caused RB to look immediately to outside which was thoroughly leveraged. Result = TFL. This was Tenuta's second greatest strength (1st was generating lots of QB pressure). I can see (and have seen) our current defense doing this successfully against this style of offense.