Temple Post Game

TechPreacher

Banned
Anyone ever buy a car cause people told you at was great and after a period of time you regretted getting it ? Well that is how I'm starting to feel about CGC . can he recruit better , time will tell but he is not showing that he can coach players up. after the game he said we moved the ball really well at times. ( what about the other times ) . then he said we played really, really hard against what I think is one of best front sevens in football. ( if 24-2 is playing really, really hard I would hate to see when we don't ) ( And that was the best front seven in football , he may want to go back and watch the Clemson game and look at some film of the teams we still have to play) .

At the start of the season the only coach I had doubts about was our offensive coordinator , those doubts have been removed the man is over his head. Now I'm starting to have my doubts about CGC , and we have seven years before this car is paid off. He believes in constructing positive attitude which don't seem to be working. He is a players coach which I'm not sure will work at Tech.

This is my 38th year of season tickets and this looks worse than 1981 and 1994 . CGC how about trying to coach the players we have up and stop being a used car salesman and stop with this is the biggest rebuild anyone has done, we knew it would not be pretty this year.These players are not a 1-11 team unless you make them. Show us some improvement cause I'm not see it.

He is Tech's version of Jim Mora, Jr. with the Falcons.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I know, I know... give him another year before we make a judgement. But, I only have the data I have. One of the problems is there is so little data.

At work or in the 'real world" what is the best and most prudent course of action, especially for those of us educated in the math, engineering and sciences, when there is insufficient data?

ScGold

Banned
It can also be true that we have plenty of talent to win most games but are sadly underachieving now.
We have the same talent that stank last year and the 2 before that. Pretty sad day when Duke is licking its chops to shut down the wing t, excuse me the triple option. Go watch army games and have a blast.

Animal02

Banned
Most of us know that there will be a transition struggle. But, we are doubting that we have a coach or coaches that we need to successfully transition .

I know, I know... give him another year before we make a judgement. But, I only have the data I have. One of the problems is there is so little data.

Perhaps it’s the combination on a young team and a transition. But, the offense has no rhyme or reason. I do like what I see on defense. And I really disliked special teams last year.
Maybe if someone had more than 2 years HC experience...............

Cam

Helluva Engineer
IIrc, Claytor was back-up to Barrick at RT, and Voss was backup to walk-on DT Sean Bedford at Center. Those may be good examples of guys who weren't the best fit for CPJ's system.

I don't remember Hill or Brown playing much, but I wasn't consciously keeping track.
Against Jacksonville State (game 1) the starting lineup was Gardner (LT), Howard (LG), Voss (C), Gilbert (RG), and Brown (RT). Against UGA (game 12) the starting lineup was Clayton (LT), Howard (LG), Voss (C), Gilbert (RG), and Barrick (RT).

Interesting to see that shift as the season went on, but I don't know anything about injuries. CPJ inherited a fair amount of talent on the OL, though he converted a lot of players from other positions to get his desired quickness.

slugboy

Staff member
Regarding swapping to what we do best...
1. Duke has added a flexbone set, and they’ve tried it in every game. They haven’t, to my eyes, done a good job with it. Even with an offensive guru as their coach. If you go flexbone, you might have to go 100% flexbone.
2. Our old scheme wasn’t all cut blocking, and I don’t know to what percentage we did cut block, but our stance, our splits, our reads, who our blocks were, and our physical conditioning were all different. I have my doubts that we can adopt two different blocking philosophies at the same time, especially if we’re trying to build up for more of a traditional blocking scheme.
3. There are some option-heavy schemes out there that split the difference. They tend to use a more traditional blocking scheme. The traditional blocking scheme is part of what we’re having trouble with.
4. If we’re having trouble with an offense after an entire offseason preparing for it, how good are our chances to make huge scheme changes in mid-season?
5. If by “do something you do best” means more run option with the same kind of blocking, aren’t we already doing that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
We have the same talent that stank last year and the 2 before that. Pretty sad day when Duke is licking its chops to shut down the wing t, excuse me the triple option. Go watch army games and have a blast.

We were 9-4 in 2016. Is that “stank” to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

I will be waiting with baited breath for your take on the Duke game this year. See you then!!!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Duke will use the same strategy as before. Take away the run game and make us beat them with the pass. They also played ball control against us with short to medium passes and ate clock.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I believe Duke lost the service academy last time they played one in a bowl.

Duke has had some success in the wing T... mainly QB sneak and rocket toss. The foot work is off for other wing T plays and it limits the success.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Can you really not see the difference in the transitions between UNC compared to us?

I can, but transition differences do not account for losing to The Citadel that just had 60 plus rung up on them or playing a game against Temple where our offense was so inept it was outscored by our defense despite 300 plus yards of total offense. If we do not get better all the way around we will be run out of our own stadium next week.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Really? Our walkons are good enough to play in Johnson's system without significant problems? Okay.

We won 7 games last year, were going to return one of the lowest amounts of production, have one of the youngest teams in the country, and played a harder schedule, and your minimum was a one game improvement?

Johnson left because he saw another struggling year and didn't want to put up with the same criticisms that he faced last year. He wasn't leaving behind an 8 win minimum team. That's absurd.

Bull****. Not saying PJ left behind an 8 win team, but he didn't retire to run away from critics because he knew we would suck. He simply got tired of the bull**** regardless of the quality of the team. He was tired of the fans who had turned on him regardless of the outcome (9 win seasons are nothing special and not even worth note).

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
4. If we’re having trouble with an offense after an entire offseason preparing for it, how good are our chances to make huge scheme changes in mid-season?
5. If by “do something you do best” means more run option with the same kind of blocking, aren’t we already doing that?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
On 4: I think it is becoming evident that Key is a real good recruiter and an average OL coach. I think Saban kept him around for the first and was willing to see him go without a counter-offer due to the second. He has had, as you say, a full year to get the OL into shape for the new blocking schemes and doesn't seem to have accomplished much. And, before anyone says it, the talent is there to do better then we have been showing. The big caveat = we still have a lot of OLs who are hurt. That could be the reason we are foundering. We'll see soon enough as the scholarship players work back into shape.

On 5: Yes, we are and I think there is an adjustment process going on. Very, very slowly. There are extenuating circumstances: our more effective QBs are both red-shirt sophs playing in a new O system and the OL hasn't been up to snuff so far. Still, I think is is also becoming evident Paternaude is not able to adapt to the players he has. The humongous case in point = Jordan Mason. Here are his stats:

Clemson 13 - 72 5.53

USF 20 - 107 5.53

Citadel 11 - 78 7.09

Temple 5 - 9 1.80

Why, in the name of all that's holy are his carries going down from week to week? It's as if P-naude's idea of an option game is to run Tobias and use the RBs as decoys. At the risk of repeating myself, Mason should be getting the ball 18 - 25 times a ball game. If he does he'll deliver 100 yards or better, just like clockwork. I might also point out that we have plenty of good speed at RB. "What?", I hear you say, "I haven't seen it!" Yes, that's just the point.

Well, it is still early. But we need to see some better coaching. Soon.