Temple Post Game

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I have known Jonathan Dwyer most of my life. I can tell you confidently that CGC was just as big of a reason behind Dwyer’s decision to come here as Giff Smith.

He was excited about the hire, too, FWIW.

My confidence in CGC recruiting is the only thing keeping me somewhat sane after these last two weeks.

Notice your post was skipped over lol

Also, https://georgiatech.rivals.com/news...-life-experiences-to-teach-others-in-new-book

That is when Geoff Collins entered the picture for Rocker building a relationship that has lasted to this day.

Coach D (Joe D’Alessandris) was recruiting me and coach Collins was the recruiting coordinator at the time. My first visit was after Tech offered me. When I met coach Collins for the first time that is when I knew I wanted to go to Georgia Tech. The crazy part about it and it is something I tell coach Collins to this day, when I first met him it was the way he made my family feel that was the biggest reason why I came to Georgia Tech,” Rocker said. “It was going to be Duke, Vanderbilt or Georgia Tech or some other high academic school that could provide the type of education I felt like I needed to be successful. It was how coach Collins made me and my family feel like his family that made me go to Georgia Tech.”

Jacket4Life9

Jolly Good Fellow
Hyperbole has come from CGC. That’s what I was poking fun at. I haven’t called for CGC to be fired. What I have said is this is a horrid start and no excuse absolves the bad coaching job so far.

Btw...Minnesota was pretty solid last year and they are currently unbeaten, currently ranked 24, and might have been on the verge of being pretty darn good.

A hell of a lot better than the Citadel!

They are about as good as Georgia Southern

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
Since this thread has delved into the recruiting job Collins has done in the past... how instrumental was he for the 2008 recruiting class @ Alabama when he was the Director of Player Personnel? I'm not going to quote or post an article where its mostly him talking but that class was something else and helped put Bama back on the map. Maybe it's not worth comparing Apples (bama) to oranges (Tech).

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Why do you think he got 7 years? Largely because the turnaround will take time due to the roster overhaul. CFB coaches knew the degree of difficulty lying ahead for the next Tech coach, most of us fans in including myself were more optimistic.[cruiting /QUOTE]

You do understand the only reason he got 7 years was because of recruiting is a little better if the player knows the coach we be there all 4 years. I don't think our AD thought we would have 6 losing seasons before we start winning. His seat will be warm after 3 years it will get hot after 4.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I've yet to hear any fan or observer of GT football attempt to excuse the loss to the Citadel. Kinda beating a dead horse in a world already full of Alpo.
Eh, you must not have been on this board after the Citadel loss. Several on this board said it was due to lack of talent, some even saying that Citadel has more talent than GT.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
You wanna ask the person who was actually there and probably 1 out of 40 players that got to spend time with CGC, knows him genuinely, and experienced a transition of culture and overhaul an offense & defense
My point has been that the story has been changed to make it seem as though he was somehow a major part of that outlier class. This is entirely new. As I said above, it would have more credibility if people were saying that a decade ago. That they weren’t suggests his influence is being vastly overstated. A Google search shows nothing about his role in that class before last December.

Regarding the article about Albert Rocker, again, it’s dated 2019, and it says that Collins had left before he even enrolled, which would seem to show that Collins wasn’t the reason for his decision, since it didn’t change when he left, even though he had that information.

Finally, and most importantly, we have his pending 2020 class to look at. Rivals currently rates it 23rd (and it’s been declining for a while now). There is not a team ranked above us with fewer four stars, and I count 11 teams below us with the same or more four stars. I count four teams we play annually currently rated better. I acknowledge that the metric isn’t perfect, but there’s not any real evidence he’s a recruiting savant in the record right now. I hope like hell I'm wrong about him, but the early returns aren’t promising.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
My point has been that the story has been changed to make it seem as though he was somehow a major part of that outlier class. This is entirely new. As I said above, it would have more credibility if people were saying that a decade ago. That they weren’t suggests his influence is being vastly overstated. A Google search shows nothing about his role in that class before last December.

Regarding the article about Albert Rocker, again, it’s dated 2019, and it says that Collins had left before he even enrolled, which would seem to show that Collins wasn’t the reason for his decision, since it didn’t change when he left, even though he had that information.

Finally, and most importantly, we have his pending 2020 class to look at. Rivals currently rates it 23rd (and it’s been declining for a while now). There is not a team ranked above us with fewer four stars, and I count 11 teams below us with the same or more four stars. I count four teams we play annually currently rated better. I acknowledge that the metric isn’t perfect, but there’s not any real evidence he’s a recruiting savant in the record right now. I hope like hell I'm wrong about him, but the early returns aren’t promising.

Well GTswarm wasn’t here a decade ago, i can tell for a fact more than half of the 07 guys attribute CGC for them being here.

Rocker has no skin in the game. He has his mind his production company. What purpose does it serve to lie about how he felt about CGC that made him sign?

It appears you are tad bit ignorant understanding of rankings. That “free fall” occurred bc other teams # of commits began to match our quantity. It is almost a lock that we will be the top 20-30 and have the 2nd best class since 07 with early signing period 2 months away.

What early returns? The only investment has been is to disjointed rostered from a niche offense. I expected 3-1, but I’m not surprised at the current state of affairs

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
He also isn’t being paid to be completely impartial. Not saying it’s his full time job. But he is an insider. I wouldn’t want him to be impartial and I don’t expect him to be.

I don’t care what any former letterman says. 1-4 with a loss to a horrible Citadel team is awful performance so far.

Its not just the losses that is so hard to take, it is the extremely poor play. It is embarrassing how ill prepared and how poorly we have performed with exceptions of the D which has certainly been an upgrade but still needs help stopping the run.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Hyperbole has come from CGC. That’s what I was poking fun at. I haven’t called for CGC to be fired. What I have said is this is a horrid start and no excuse absolves the bad coaching job so far.

Btw...Minnesota was pretty solid last year and they are currently unbeaten, and might have been on the verge of being pretty darn good.

A hell of a lot better than the Citadel!

Btw...their OC would make our transition this year a lot less “monumental.”
Minnesota became a new team when they fired their DC midway through last season. No idea if he was the problem, but it sparked their program.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I was wondering how Temple scored their running TDs so easily so I watched the replay. Our outside player on the LOS lined up with outside leverage on the TE. There was a DB behind him. On the snap (whether a mistake or directed) the player gave up outside leverage and drove to the inside making for an easy block for an outside run. The DB (whether a mistake or not coached or not thinking?) also flowed inside making it easy to screen him from getting back to the outside. Easy run because we for what ever reason both outside players voluntarily gave up our outside leverage.

On the next TD I saw essentially the same behavior of volunteering to give up our outside leverage in like manner. I would have hoped the players or coaches or both would have learned something and made a correction. In these incidences we seem to be trying to do too much and not paying attention to our responsibilities. As for the other yardage we gave up much of it was just getting whooped up front and slow recognition or pursuit with bad angles.

To continue improving our D we have to make some big strides in run D. Fortunately we are doing well in pass D and open field tackling but teams will just take the easier route and run if we give it to them.