Tellin stat...

In order to win this game we have to reverse this trend

The past 2 games vs. Clemson we are 3-24 on 3rd down. We don’t have to be world beaters on offense but we must be consistent when we do have the ball

Our entire business plan is based on controlling the ball, keeping our defense off the field and limiting the opponent's plays. Venables has had extra time this year to prepare, but some of that time had to be dedicated to attitude adjustment after a crushing defeat. Bee, as a player, how intense is the desire to get back on the field to atone for that hiccup at Syracuse? That is of concern to me.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
I predict we won't need any 3rd or 4th down conversions. ;)

I agree JBR, Clemason will be chomping at the bit to get on the field tonite and erase the bad taste of the Syracuse defeat. If we can stay with them in the 1st quarter, I think it will stay close.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
If we beat Clemson it will be because we out coach them. The talent level between the teams is very wide. Some of you give way too much credit to Venables. He always has an NFL front 7.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Our entire business plan is based on controlling the ball, keeping our defense off the field and limiting the opponent's plays. Venables has had extra time this year to prepare, but some of that time had to be dedicated to attitude adjustment after a crushing defeat. Bee, as a player, how intense is the desire to get back on the field to atone for that hiccup at Syracuse? That is of concern to me.

Very intense to the point you try to over do things. We will know very early how composed Clemson will be

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
I think our atrocious 3rd down stat is just a by-product of doing nothing or going backwards on 1st and 2nd down. They have just been completely suffocating on defense. We have been totally outclassed playing them.

I'd love to see us do anything in this ball game but I'm not feeling it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
These kids, win or lose are so lucky to play this game as yellow jackets. A life experience- #2, rain, away, and they know if they play their team best tbey can make a statement. I think we need a trend of statement games.
As Jerry says go JACKETS

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
If we beat Clemson it will be because we out coach them. The talent level between the teams is very wide. Some of you give way too much credit to Venables. He always has an NFL front 7.

He had NFL guys in the front 7, not complete unit like they do know ESPECIALLY at DT.

Deleted member 2897

Its not just NFL guys up front, its All-Pro NFL guys. Seriously, I think those on the DL are already better than many starting in the NFL today.

The paltry 3rd down percentage as someone said is simply because we're in 3rd and long so much. We were nearly leading the nation in 3rd and 10+ a couple weeks ago, and even then that percentage is barely 20%. So 3/15 if you averaged 3rd and 10+ is actually very good statistically. The key obviously is that we need 3rd and 4 or less to change that statistic. I'm pretty sure if we're already averaging low 20%s on defense that we even look better than that if you pulled out what we are on defense when its 3rd and 10+ against us.

BobintheATL99

Jolly Good Fellow
Its not just NFL guys up front, its All-Pro NFL guys. Seriously, I think those on the DL are already better than many starting in the NFL today.

Tap the brakes on the hyperbole. That may be the case eventually, but if you took Alabama, Clemson, UGA, whoever and lined them up against the worst team in the NFL, the college team would get CRUSHED. They are grown men in the NFL that do football 24-7-365, and these are still kids. Talented, but they are still just allowed to practice X hours a week limited by the NCAA.

Deleted member 2897

Tap the brakes on the hyperbole. That may be the case eventually, but if you took Alabama, Clemson, UGA, whoever and lined them up against the worst team in the NFL, the college team would get CRUSHED. They are grown men in the NFL that do football 24-7-365, and these are still kids. Talented, but they are still just allowed to practice X hours a week limited by the NCAA.

I didn't compare the entire team. I never said line Clemson up against an NFL team. THAT is hyperbole. I specifically referred to some of the guys on the DL.

I suggest you ask some of the admins on this board and others what they think about my comments. They are the ones that see the tapes, that understand recruiting, and give a more educated analysis. I could be wrong, but I would be surprised if I am wrong by much at all in my assessment.