Tell me this isn't true - Byerly injury

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
"The truth is an elusive thing." ;) When I posted this, I was (and am) thinking the following:

JN - Beat up and barely able to walk but continuing to play with a limp and then of course breaking his arm. He was pulled for several series in the UGAg game after two UGAg players pulled on his legs in the pile.

Vad - 2013 getting beatup so bad in games that he could barely walk at the end. Taking the hit in the UNC game (as I recall) that took him out of the game for a while and, more importantly, seemed to forever make him a more tentative QB for us. I agree that Vad may have started every game, but others played a lot of snaps since Vad just got wore out. Here are the games that JT played in 2013, and you are right that it wasn't a lot. http://www.cfbstats.com/2013/player/255/1047228/rushing/gamelog.html

TW - He was dinged up a lot and Vad was seen as the future. Here's how the games and passing for Vad in the 2012 season: http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/255/1039471/passing/gamelog.html

JT - as you mentioned, he had the bad ankle which coincided with him Byerly going in. CPJ is the one who could say why for sure and I doubt he'll talk. JT wasn't full speed for the last half the season until he had the month "off" before the Orange Bowl.

So I expect JT to either get hurt so he can't start or dinged up to the extent he has to be pulled. It's just part of the game to get dinged up and sometimes more, especially when you run the ball into the teeth of the D. (Passing QBs have their own injury problems when they get sacked.) The point at which he would be pulled will depend on how effective the back-up QB is (IMHO). With Byerly out for an indeterminate time, I think JT stays in longer than he would with Byerly as the backup. So to me, losing Byerly is a big deal becasue he would have (or will be called upon) this year most likely.

IIRC, Nesbitt pulled up lame first series against Miss State and Jaybo finished em off.

I don't think TW was ever banged up. Vad got in the game bc CPJ wanted to give him reps. I don't remember a time when we pulled TW due to injury.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
IIRC, Nesbitt pulled up lame first series against Miss State and Jaybo finished em off.

I don't think TW was ever banged up. Vad got in the game bc CPJ wanted to give him reps. I don't remember a time when we pulled TW due to injury.

I only remember Vad being out like 2 or 3 plays total after "the hit," but I may be remembering wrong.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I only remember Vad being out like 2 or 3 plays total after "the hit," but I may be remembering wrong.
Yes I think he was out for the rest of that series but no idea how many plays before we scored on that drive. And he was acting like he wanted to go back in but the coaches held him out.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Some of you guys are way under-reporting the amount of time that JN missed injured. Just going from memory, JN pulled a hammy against MSU and was out for a few games. He was knocked out of the FSU game for a while before the miracle on North avenue. We stalled out when Jaybo came in. He was injured and out for a series or so for both UGA games AND he broke his arm against VT ending his season. That is all I can remember off the top of my head. All in all he may have played 70% of his potential snaps for his starting career, losing 30% to injury.

Vad didn't come out much, but he got whacked against UNC and was out for a series. That hit changed him though.

I don't remember TW ever coming out. I may be wrong.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
OMG, from CPJ it looks like size matters at QB along with BB. "“Justin’s not the biggest cat in the world,” Johnson said earlier this week, before the injury. “If you’re going to run follow plays down there and stuff like that, Tim’s just better at it.”"

So considering the article: http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/college/georgia-tech-quarterback-tim-byerly-out-for-saturd/nnbnF/
is he seriously hurt? Does anyone know the TRUTH?

Only TB and a few others including CPJ. If CPJ says TB is week to week, then TB is week to week and not out for the season (my opinion). My memory is not that good but I don't remember a time where CPJ said something that wasn't true about an athlete's condition. Either CPJ said he wouldn't say or CPJ said what the situation was.

When would you put the back up in? When the game is still in doubt? You could lose the game. When the game is well in hand? We already do this. When the starter is hurt? We already do this. When the starter has lost control of the game? We already do this.

I'd put the backup in when I thought the starting QB performance had degraded to the point that the backup was better. IMHO (very humble) opinion, CPJ should have pulled Vad and TW much more often when they were tired and dinged up. I'll let you know next time it happens on chat during the game. Hopefully it won't this year, but things have a way of recurring......

Some of you guys are way under-reporting the amount of time that JN missed injured. Just going from memory, JN pulled a hammy against MSU and was out for a few games. He was knocked out of the FSU game for a while before the miracle on North avenue. We stalled out when Jaybo came in. He was injured and out for a series or so for both UGA games AND he broke his arm against VT ending his season. That is all I can remember off the top of my head. All in all he may have played 70% of his potential snaps for his starting career, losing 30% to injury.

Vad didn't come out much, but he got whacked against UNC and was out for a series. That hit changed him though.

My memory of TW was that he was dinged / gimpy a lot and erratic with his passing. But TW's passing was erratic ( http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/player/255/1016318/passing/gamelog.html ) where he and the rest of the team played well sometimes and not well other times. Usually we played better against inferior opponents (go figure). The problems with these stats and any pinning of all the passing blame on the QB is that some of our former receivers used to have trouble catching the ball. So I probably don't like TW as much as other QBs because of how the whole team did -- that 7-7 season in 2012 was nauseating.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'd put the backup in when I thought the starting QB performance had degraded to the point that the backup was better. IMHO (very humble) opinion, CPJ should have pulled Vad and TW much more often when they were tired and dinged up. I'll let you know next time it happens on chat during the game. Hopefully it won't this year, but things have a way of recurring......
Just as long as it's not the ND game, I won't be on chat, if you know what I mean! ;)

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
That's odd. Most players I saw in class at tech were doing one-legged squats and plyometrics
The real question is if it was alternating in between reps single leg squats or was it alternating in between sets single leg squats?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

I remember Gardner-Webb too.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I remember Gardner-Webb too.

Both Nesbitt and Jaybo were out for that game. I believe CPJ held out Nesbitt because he wanted to fully heal his hamstring, and Jaybo wasn't medically cleared from a concussion the previous game. We had to play with Big Calvin Booker at QB who was really a "pro style" QB.

Thank goodness for Dwyer's moment of brilliance on a dump pass taking it the house.

stevo0718

Georgia Tech Fan
2 unmentioned plays.

1 - 2012 VT Tev got rocked running toward the sidelinein OT 2nd to last play, you could tell he was woozy then threw that interception and we lost. That was the only time I ever saw Tevin hurtin

2 - 2013 Miami JT got blind sided after spelling Vad and he was taken out of the game.

Not worried, should play the games the same way and not be concerned with injuries. You can't control it, so you shouldn't worry about it