Ted Roof's job

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
And pay them with the money from .......... (I'm waiting,and all I hear are crickets). GT fans were all excited this week about how GT will get $1 million for soccer being played at BDS, but these same fans couldn't make a 6 hour drive to Chapel Hill for a game (for the record, I know some people had commitments or limitations, but others stopped watching the game from the comfort of their recliner early in the game so they could go shopping). During said game, UNC introduced one alum who was donating $10,000,000 (that's $10 million) to the Ram Club to benefit athletics. Some schools have the resources and the backing, others don't.

Also, give me a specific examples of him blaming everything on GTAA, alumni, admin and not taking personal responsibility. He may have made statements expressing some dissatisfaction with GT facilities needing improving, but tell me where he is wrong about that. Also for the record, if you can give me examples, then I will admit I am wrong.
He has consistently over the years blamed facilities, the administration, salaries, player execution, and even low fan turnout for program woes. His latest quotes were already mentioned publicly by the new AD. If work permits today I'll try to hunt down more.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
He has consistently over the years blamed facilities, the administration, salaries, player execution, and even low fan turnout for program woes. His latest quotes were already mentioned publicly by the new AD. If work permits today I'll try to hunt down more.

And exactly how is he wrong? Our facilities, administration, salaries, and yes even player execution and fan turnout ARE the reasons for our football program being in the dumps these days. People who think a simple change in or by the head coach will solve problems that have been years in the making amaze me.....

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I'd venture a guess that Clemson's assistants have a total salary twice that of GT's but I'm sure you knew that already.
Yep, and Dabo initially took a voluntary pay hit to enable Clemson to afford them. Heard of anything like that around GT? Clemson was not a good program when Dabo took over. He realized he needed to hire top tier help and took the steps to make it happen. Now they are rolling. Money follows success in college sports.

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
And exactly how is he wrong? Our facilities, administration, salaries, and yes even player execution and fan turnout ARE the reasons for our football program being in the dumps these days. People who think a simple change in or by the head coach will solve problems that have been years in the making amaze me.....
He's not. Tech is a tough place and he knew that coming in. But those are battles he should fight privately, never air publicly. It's extremely poor leadership from the guy with overall responsibility and the big salary.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
He won't. He's at the end of his career. He's in it for the personal money at this point in his career. He knows he's at his personal peak. Dabo was smart. He sacrificed early to bring in the good coaches. I'm just showing that it can and has been done. Johnson is too damn hardheaded for his own good. That whole thing about there is no "I" in team? It doesn't apply to him at this point in his Tech tenure. If he wanted good coaches, he could get them. He's not willing to make the personal sacrifice though. It's just too convenient to blame everything on the Tech administration, GTAA, and alumni.
To think that GT and Clemson are on a level playing field, financially, is just ridiculous. If you don't like PJ or think he should be fired, that's fine, I get it, but dont act Dabo is a swell guy cause he took a little less money while PJ is an old, greedy man.

Deltajacket

Georgia Tech Fan
To think that GT and Clemson are on a level playing field, financially, is just ridiculous. If you don't like PJ or think he should be fired, that's fine, I get it, but dont act Dabo is a swell guy cause he took a little less money while PJ is an old, greedy man.
I actually think Dabo is a crappy coach compared to PJ. But he's smart enough to realize he needs help and go get it. I've actually been a fan of PJ as a coach since his first days in the 'Boro under Erk. PJ is a very good football coach. His public airing of dirty laundry, awful record hiring DC's, refusal to cut deadwood from his staff, and *****ly relations with local media all point to his inability to think like a successful leader. He is supposed to be Head Coach, not just the offensive guru and coordinator. It's not all about the money.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
We're talking about different issues. I was talking about having no time or energy outside of practice due to academics. At most schools, guys have extra time to watch film or get in extra work because they don't have near the academic stress and strain. When our guys are writing papers, doing group projects, studying for tests, etc, their guys are getting in extra mental reps or watching film. Heck, if all they're doing is resting and relaxing, it's making them better on Saturday.
Oh my bad, I'm not 100 percent sure but maybe some students that go to Stanford, notre dame, Michigan. I know it wouldn't be every student there but I'm sure there are kids that have the same issues.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
and *****ly relations with local media all point to his inability to think like a successful leader.

Bobby Dodd once quipped that it was the HC's job to put butts in the seats. You have to win, you have to promote your team, and you have to get the community behind it.

Schools like Auburn and Alabama (I'm a 'bama boy) have a built in fan base. But they still try to reach the communities and build a sense of pride.

I listened to CPJ's recap of the game and saying "We missed assignments, we missed tackles, we missed everything" is not going to endear anyone.

Saban speaks like a CEO and watches his words. Sure, he gets pissed, but it goes more like this "Our boys played hard, but we have to get better. There's a lot we can work on to get this team really working well. Glad you came to the game."

GTAA's communications director should be coaching Coach.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Bobby Dodd once quipped that it was the HC's job to put butts in the seats. You have to win, you have to promote your team, and you have to get the community behind it.

Schools like Auburn and Alabama (I'm a 'bama boy) have a built in fan base. But they still try to reach the communities and build a sense of pride.

I listened to CPJ's recap of the game and saying "We missed assignments, we missed tackles, we missed everything" is not going to endear anyone.

Saban speaks like a CEO and watches his words. Sure, he gets pissed, but it goes more like this "Our boys played hard, but we have to get better. There's a lot we can work on to get this team really working well. Glad you came to the game."

GTAA's communications director should be coaching Coach.
First I lived in Columbus Ga in the 60s and 70's Auburn and Alabama have always had a great fan base. But the difference if they have a losing season ( which is not often ) they still want some coaches maybe only an assistant coaches head but the want something done. But no matter what kind of season theyt still fill their stadium.

I also listened to CPJ recap. What did you want him to say ? ( this part is sarcasm only) We did fine 5 of the 11 players on defense did not miss their assignments more then 30%. Yes we missed a few tackles but it gave our safeties a great opportunity to make the tackle. Not sure what some are looking for him to say after a loss. He speaks in general (We, OL, DB) do people want him the name players? He starts by saying he is responsible and it falls on him to get it fix.

Saban watches his word ? Guess when I listen to him I'm not hearing the some thing you hear after they lose a game . ( Yes which does not happen often )
Yes he does ok speaking nice when they win.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
And HE is the head coach. Therefore the ownership of it is on him. We are all frustrated with ted roof and the defense but in my opinion it all falls on CPJs shoulders. If he sees the issues then take a break from offense duties and fix where the problem is that is what a GOOD coach does.

I actually like the idea of having CPJ handing over offensive prep to Bryan Cook for the week and focusing solely on the defense. The only hiccup to this may be that we may be starting Jordan this week if JT is still hurt.