Ted Roof's job

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Wommack, Groh and Roof
We just don't have a winning attitude with these players. If you can not line up and make a yard on fourth and one you do not deserve to win. You have to want it more than the opponent and a lot of our guys just don't have that in them. Until we get more that do, things are going to be status quo. Coaches can only do so much. At some point the guys between the lines have to make it happen.

The utm on the side where 6 was waiting is ???. Will was left along on blocking him when Freddie took off to go down field with out chipping him (or getting any part of the other dt. So are you blaming the Soph Will bryan for not manning up on the 350# sr nt? You know things happen in the ol blocking, but saying Will hasn't enough want too is the cause of the loss of the game is a ??? . Look at the picture.
20161008_212033.jpg

I enjoy how coach roof and andy mc (sit near family relate to defense in side line huddle. They are first class guys and they motivate our players but it sure looks like our guy s play slow. The players seem to play like robots . I , however , will never say roof doesnt want it enough.
On technique that could really help = I will say we need to let dl players rush gap occasionally IN THE FIRST QUARTER.

Imo this ol is doing great. The wr and ab are clicking. We just need the ball early in the game.

The defense needs to get it going or we could set a record for most consecutive games where the defense gives up a td on opening drive (not counting cup cakes).
I CANT WAIT FOR ROOF TO TURN THE YELLOW JACKETS LOOSE.
And as you say.
GO Jackets.

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I've got a question for those who know the details of football better than I do. Wouldn't an aggressive defense be the best combination with our offense? We run a ball control offense made to sustain long drives and keep the opposing offense on the sideline. Which naturally builds a sense of urgency in them, which makes them prone to mistakes while trying to do too much. A bend but don't break allows the offense to get into a groove as they're allowed short yardage, which gives them confidence. This opens up more opportunities for big plays. In theory, a highly aggressive defense would force the offense to panic more and make more mistakes. We may give up big plays, but we'd force more turnovers and create more stops given the opposing offense's psyche. Am I wrong in thinking this?
This is why Tenuta was a good fit.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
PER JERRY
"We just don't have a winning attitude with these players. If you can not line up and make a yard on fourth and one you do not deserve to win. You have to want it more than the opponent and a lot of our guys just don't have that in them. Until we get more that do, things are going to be status quo. Coaches can only do so much. At some point the guys between the lines have to make it happen"

The utm near number 6ere 6 is ??????. Will Bryan was left along on blocking him when Freddie took off to go down field with out chipping him (or getting any part of the other dt.

So are you blaming the Soph Will bryan for not manning up on the 350# sr nt????. That's about as logical as the play call.

In two years when he is a sr and Mills is a JR - hell yes.

Jerry , you know things happen in the ol blocking, but saying Will hasn't enough want too is the cause of the loss of the game is a ??? . Look at the picture.
20161008_212033-jpg.1932

I enjoy how coach roof and andy mc (sit near family relate to defense in side line huddle. From your posts i can tell he is a friend of yours or you are very parcel to him.

They both are first class guys and they motivate our players.

But it sure looks like our guy s play slow. The players seem to play like robots. Even though I think that I will never say roof doesnt want it enough.

On a technique that could really help = we need to let dl players rush gap occasionally IN THE FIRST QUARTER.

Imo this ol is doing great. Will is getting lots of tough blocks and parker is really showing out while pulling. The two tackles are doing very good as well and Freddie is a man

Now that the wr and ab are clicking, the offense needs the ball early in the game.

I CANT WAIT FOR ROOF TO TURN THE YELLOW JACKETS LOOSE.

And as you say.
GO Jackets.

I cant wait to drive up from Pensacola and holler for the defensive players when they come off the field. We have a rowdy crowd in that area

Jmonty71

Banned
Roof had his day, 20 years ago. His system is outdated. Playing a base 4-3 with a nickel package was created in the 80s to stop west coast offenses. However; we are no longer in the 80s or early 90s. That defense is outdated and cannot match up against these modern offenses. Roof is huge part of the problem.

1. He calls the team to play a soft zone that is barely better than prevent defense.
2. The play calls are the same over and over
3. No pre snap movement or smoke and mirrors to confuse the QB.
4. There is a lack of aggression with play calling and leads to non aggressive tackling.
5. The blitzes, when they are ran, are poorly conducted. Half the time our LB runs into the back of our own man.
6. The players look lost during parts of the game. Lack of preparation.
7. Roof cannot adjust to things until half time. In which, usually it's too late at that point.
8. His schemes rely on quick, big and fast players. Maybe at Auburn, Penn St. and such, they had 4 and 5 star recruits all over. GT, not so much.

I just gave 8 things wrong. Yes, he can recruit. Why not keep him as a recruiter and find another DC?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I'm with you now, although not till the end of the season.
I would normally agree, but in this case I would like to see another guy step in and see what he can do with the same guys in the same year. That also will help in not having to completely learn a new system next year, they would already have some playing time in it. I would just have to hope it wouldn't hurt recruiting, so I would want it to be a guy known for his recruiting.

Jmonty71

Banned
We scored plenty of points. More than enough to win. Our offense did well. Not perfect, but well. It's not fair to expect our offense to score a TD on every possession. Sadly, we will have to do that, in order to win. Our D cannot stop many teams with any remotely good offense. UNC, VT and UGA look to be guaranteed loses, with Roof as the DC. Georgia Southern and Duke are coin flips.

Jmonty71

Banned
I would normally agree, but in this case I would like to see another guy step in and see what he can do with the same guys in the same year. That also will help in not having to completely learn a new system next year, they would already have some playing time in it. I would just have to hope it wouldn't hurt recruiting, so I would want it to be a guy known for his recruiting.
Keep Roof as a recruiter, but find another DC. How does that sound?

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
Our defense has been mediocre to had throughout Johnson's tenure. It isn't scheme as he has gone through at least three coordinators. So whats the one constant for nine seasons? Johnson's inability to recruit for whatever reason is the problem I am not yet saying to fire anyone, but our program in on the brink of becoming Wake.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
This is the first of the three losses that can be pinned to the defense, so calling for his head may be a bit premature. That being said, the product on defense is not what I like to see. I don't understand how a head coach that is so over aggressive on offense can be so conservative on defense. We need to get after people more often and be OK giving up big plays...especially in games like yesterday.

heisman8824

Georgia Tech Fan
So the 5th DC is the answer. CPJ has been here 9 years. 2014 was a year of lucky breaks. Take that year out and PJ has produced a .500 football team. With a piss poor attitude towards everyone. It's time for a new sheriff.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
So the 5th DC is the answer. CPJ has been here 9 years. 2014 was a year of lucky breaks. Take that year out and PJ has produced a .500 football team. With a piss poor attitude towards everyone. It's time for a new sheriff.

4th DC but who's counting (and don't say Charles Kelly was our DC because he was never hired for that job )

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I am not saying we need to ditch Roof, but unsuccessful DCs are not an indictment of the head coach IMO. Dabo went through a lot of coaches to get the staff he has now. The difference is they have the money to do it.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Sadly, I expect only one more win this season, maybe two, if we catch a break. With back-to-back losing seasons, there will a coaching change or BDS will be empty by the time the new AD finally pulls the trigger