Ted Roof

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Without kallon chasing the play the running back would have been able to juke the safeties for an even bigger gain

My seats are right behind bench where the dl coaches coach up the dl. In fsu and game before kallon and Henderson are not even standing near pelton. Now it bet coaches want them in the huddle. Both did pretty hood , much better than early in the year. Winder if there is a coaching reason for talking to only the starters.

Strap on the chin strap , this is about to be a baptism of fire.
And no the players are not moving to the proper place after rhe snap.

Attachments

• 20151031_212715.jpg
    20151031_212715.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 61

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wasn't excited about the Roof hire from the beginning. Wommack and Groh were fired for basically having the same D that Roof is producing in his 3rd year. I wonder if Roof would be getting the same support if he wasn't a "Tech" guy...

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
Lets be honest here...both sides are to blame...Roof isnt a great defensive mind by any means...but even with our "Upper classmen" on defense our talent level is still very low. Outside of Gotsis and maybe DJ white, (chris milton can show flashes of being good) we really have no one even close to sniffing the NFL. I would say our defensive talent level grade is a C- or maybe even a D.

Now with that being said, we play a lot of timid, sit back defense under Roof, we hardly blitz, and would rather rely on 3 or 4 rushing and dropping 7-8 guys and hoping they make a mistake. So teams eat us up with dink and dunk passes, stretch run plays, screens, etc. It is an extremely frustrating defense to watch because teams move the ball so easily down the field on us. I would rather us bring the house most of the time and get beat with the QB making a good play then for him to sit untouched for 15 secs in the pocket then waiting for someone to find a hole in the zone. I hate to even admit it, but I find myself turning the TV sometimes when we are on defense because its so irritating to watch. But now, unfortunately its painful to watch our offense as well. Games havent been quite that enjoyable to watch this season...which I thought would never be an issue.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Sad fact but interesting none the less, from the AJC - "Tech has now given up 200 yards rushing in five games this season, more than any Tech defense has given up in a season going back at least through the 2000 season. "

And think we have at least three more games this season. Sure hope we don't go beyond the 5 games... with Gotsis appearing to be gone for the season, the total could get worse.

Adam gone for the remainder of the season? What is this? Link?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Lets be honest here...both sides are to blame...Roof isnt a great defensive mind by any means...but even with our "Upper classmen" on defense our talent level is still very low. Outside of Gotsis and maybe DJ white, (chris milton can show flashes of being good) we really have no one even close to sniffing the NFL. I would say our defensive talent level grade is a C- or maybe even a D.

Now with that being said, we play a lot of timid, sit back defense under Roof, we hardly blitz, and would rather rely on 3 or 4 rushing and dropping 7-8 guys and hoping they make a mistake. So teams eat us up with dink and dunk passes, stretch run plays, screens, etc. It is an extremely frustrating defense to watch because teams move the ball so easily down the field on us. I would rather us bring the house most of the time and get beat with the QB making a good play then for him to sit untouched for 15 secs in the pocket then waiting for someone to find a hole in the zone. I hate to even admit it, but I find myself turning the TV sometimes when we are on defense because its so irritating to watch. But now, unfortunately its painful to watch our offense as well. Games havent been quite that enjoyable to watch this season...which I thought would never be an issue.
I think we have the "potential" to have guys preform better and be more at a nfl talent level. Imo the problem is exactly what you said we play a sit back style D, it's very easy for a QB to read and know what's going on. The reason I think some guys haven't excelled like they should is because we don't put them in situations to succeed, they don't get to play to their strengths.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
I would suggest that the problem is not x and o defense but the defensive talent on the field. It is pretty hard to recruit DL who are convinced they are NFL bound to attend a college where they actually have to attend class and make a passing grade. I thought we all appreciated this fact. If not, my bad!

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Our offense has scored 30 or more three times this season, the exact same number of wins GT has accumulated.

If you look up CPJ's record here in Atlanta-you will see how key that number is in defining his success.

Therefore to equally blame CTR, who by the way was a good enough DC to win a NC at Auburn, might be a reach.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Therefore to equally blame CTR, who by the way was a good enough DC to win a NC at Auburn, might be a reach.

More like a good enough DC to have Cam Newton playing QB for his team. And by good I mean lucky. He had way more to do with that NC than Roof did. Most Auburn fans I encountered had a very low opinion of Roof's defenses and were not sorry to see him leave. I remember choruses of "I'm sorry," breaking out when it was announced we hired him.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I hate the practice of repeating something so often that people begin to think it's true. It is simply NOT TRUE that the quality (or lack thereof) of our offense is a significant factor in our defensive performance. We are #90 giving up 4.85 yards/carry (rushing defense) in the 1st quarter while giving up 4.83 yards/carry for the whole game. Yes while we give up 6.7 yards/passing attempt for the whole game, we only give up 6.5 yards/attempt in the 1st quarter. However, we give up 7.0 yards/attempt for the 1st half. Fwiw, for all games, our 6.7 ypa puts us at #50 D in this category. 6.5 ypa would've put us at #42 and 7.0 ypa at #63.

You are right that Roof has not been significantly worse than previous DCs, but he's not been significantly better.

maybe you need to remind your self of our schedule which was rated at no 6 before last weeks heart breaker. it is now still rated no 12. AND our team is ranked at 38. per sagarin.

all this done with a plethora of injuries on both sides of the ball and a ton of new talent. AND yes the quality of our offense or lack or quality DOES affect the D.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
maybe you need to remind your self of our schedule which was rated at no 6 before last weeks heart breaker. it is now still rated no 12. AND our team is ranked at 38. per sagarin.

all this done with a plethora of injuries on both sides of the ball and a ton of new talent. AND yes the quality of our offense or lack or quality DOES affect the D.
The annoying habit of fumbling soon after an exhausting defensive stand must be recognized as a demoralizing and game changing contributor to our opponents taking advantage of a gased defense....

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
More like a good enough DC to have Cam Newton playing QB for his team. And by good I mean lucky. He had way more to do with that NC than Roof did. Most Auburn fans I encountered had a very low opinion of Roof's defenses and were not sorry to see him leave. I remember choruses of "I'm sorry," breaking out when it was announced we hired him.

How did Penn State fans feel about him? Is the Auburn fan base worth listening to? They have had wildly varying opinions of several coaches there the last 6 years or so. Are they loving Muschamp still? Fan bases are finicky, have short memories, and often lack much football knowledge. Ditto media pukes. 2 at the AJC used to fawn over Richt. Now they think he should be fired. Geniuses.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
I like him cause he played here and knows what it takes to be a student athlete here also. He has the personality to be a good recruiter as well. I hope we give the guy a few more seasons to get his recruits playing before we pass judgement on him.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think he does get a pass with GT people due to his history here more than he should.

To me he is just average at best as a DC. In the last 8 years as a DC he has had one year with a D ranked better than the top 50 or so; at penn state, which was a top 30 d the year before he got there. He was there for only 1 year so can't conclude much one way of the other.

His D's in total yards/yards a play routinely in the 60/70 range statistically rankings. After 8 years he should have more D's better than that if he was a good DC IMO.

Any DC looks good with NFL DL or LB or secondary. Duh. At GT we have had a NFL DL one year...yet for 6-7 years ranked every year in the top 20 or top 30 under Tenuta. So it can be done here with just OK or good talent. I am not saying the answer is tenuta, I am saying you don't need a NFL DL to be good enough for tech on D, and certainly with our offense in a typical year the D stats should look even better.

for me he was a bad hire and a mistake paul is going to struggle to rid himself of. Between extension of the contract and some tech faithful just liking him because he was here, its a controversial fire. I am not a fan.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
How did Penn State fans feel about him? Is the Auburn fan base worth listening to? They have had wildly varying opinions of several coaches there the last 6 years or so. Are they loving Muschamp still? Fan bases are finicky, have short memories, and often lack much football knowledge. Ditto media pukes. 2 at the AJC used to fawn over Richt. Now they think he should be fired. Geniuses.

I think you should go look up his history though. Don't look at the fans. Just history. since 2008, he has had one d better than top 50 or so. Penn St. Which, the year prior to his arrival, was already top 25/30. I am just using total yards, and yards per play....easiest to look up, but representative over 12-13 games.

For me, the guy, if a good DC, should have more than one year in 8 better than top 50 or so (ie 49 48 is same as 50 or 51 etc).

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
It's a combination of the defensive style and talent. If you want to play cover two zone and send four like we do a lot, you'd better have some really talented players all over the field. I like our guys, and we have some really good players, but we don't have a defense littered with future NFL guys, so it makes it tough.

The other thing the bend-don't-break style we play relies on is good tackling, and I think it's an understatement to say we are a poor tackling team.

The defensive style has not changed much since 2009. The alignments are a bit different, but the conservative style has been pretty consistent aside from the second half of last season. I think this comes from the head coach. CPJ is worried about being able to keep up with scoring, but I think aggression would have translated to more wins this year. We probably would have lost a couple of those games by larger margins by being aggressive, but we also may have picks up two more W's due to turnovers and such. I.e. The offensive woes would not have been quite as big of a deal...

gtwin

Georgia Tech Fan

If I recall, that defense at AU was as bad as this one. Difference is that Cam Newton was an absolute beast that year on O!

Bottomline, everyone knew what GT was getting with bringing Roof back. We've seen this story before and there was nothing along the way that made me optimistic of it improving. 750K is too much for these results...period!

Problem is those great DL don't grow on trees. Like it or not. Want to fire Roof or not. UVA was a preview of next year without Gotsis n Hunt. We will have guys who can play but they may not be able to disrupt the way Gotsis has. Hopefully we can get more edge rush from the ends.
I believe the Virginia game is a harbinger of next season, too. But not because of defense. In a bad year, we still had a lot to play for, getting a miracle win over FSU. We stunk up the place when we had a chance (we thought) to get a win, get some momentum. It is almost impossible to understand.

If I recall, that defense at AU was as bad as this one. Difference is that Cam Newton was an absolute beast that year on O!

Bottomline, everyone knew what GT was getting with bringing Roof back. We've seen this story before and there was nothing along the way that made me optimistic of it improving. 750K is too much for these results...period!
There are just so many ways you can deploy eleven 20 year olds. Defense is all about physical ability, recognition and aggression. We don't have, and we will never have, the top tier defensive players that other programs enjoy. Talented recruits gravitate to the premier programs that will showcase their abilities.