Ted Roof Oklahoma

JacketFan137

Banned
If I never see our DB’s giving a six yard cushion on 3rd and five for the rest of my life, it will be too soon.
i bet a significant amount of money on the tech money line against miami that one year when they were ranked high and we were unranked. watching them bubble screen us 8 times in a row and lose the bet pretty much spelled the end of me betting on us ever again. paul and roof defense was a disaster

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
i bet a significant amount of money on the tech money line against miami that one year when they were ranked high and we were unranked. watching them bubble screen us 8 times in a row and lose the bet pretty much spelled the end of me betting on us ever again. paul and roof defense was a disaster
Who is paul and what position did he play on defense?

JacketFan137

Banned
That only counts when he gets to make his hire.

He screwed up with groh, and fired him. Roof was given to him with no choice. Wommack was taking someone because he couldn't hire who he wanted to.
if you are the head coach ultimately the product on the field is your responsibility. we spent forever lining up 10 yards off the WRs and paul could have fixed that at any point regardless of who put the dc in place

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
if you are the head coach ultimately the product on the field is your responsibility. we spent forever lining up 10 yards off the WRs and paul could have fixed that at any point regardless of who put the dc in place

And he said as much in post game interviews even when we won. He did fix it with wommack then fired him when he started doing it again and let georgia run all over us. He fired groh when he couldn't make a change. But truthfully he had his hands tied with roof. If you don't see that certain boosters were being absolutely ridiculous. We are just back to the age old ignoring the facts.

So of johnsons 4 dc's at tech. He Was forced to settle for wommack. Fired him after we won an ACC championship in spite of him. Hired grow. Then fired him after he refused to change what he was doing leading to horrible losses. Wanted to hire Charles Kelly. Was told he had to hire roof. 2013 was actually not a bad defensive year. and 2014 was turnover heavy. Then when roof started to go off the rails he did in fact constantly say he was trying to get things fixed. and roof left after the defensive collapse against duke in 2017. Because he was going to be fired. Woody was left with a bunch of kids that had a lot of work to do as roof phoned it in in 2017.

He fired 2 out of 4 outright and basically fired the last one.

Johnson did take responsibility for his defenses but cooardinators have to be allowed to coordinate. You can't do everything. Even Saban doesn't "take over" his defense when things are going south. He seeks to correct it and I have remember for the past couple years him complaining about needing to play better there and defensive let downs. Yet he keeps the same Coordinator. What likely happened with roof was week to week he had a good game plan. Something spooked him and after 2014 was so successful on the bend don't break side of things he chased that.

Its entirely possible the miss on woody (who wasn't a miss army managed to have a great defense under him) Contributed to him deciding to hang it up.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You must not have been paying attention to the screaming matches on the sideline. Roof was a legend at Tech and CPJ had little control over what he could do with him.

You seem to turn every freaking thread into an anti-CPJ jab. Give it a rest already.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
And he said as much in post game interviews even when we won. He did fix it with wommack then fired him when he started doing it again and let georgia run all over us. He fired groh when he couldn't make a change. But truthfully he had his hands tied with roof. If you don't see that certain boosters were being absolutely ridiculous. We are just back to the age old ignoring the facts.

So of johnsons 4 dc's at tech. He Was forced to settle for wommack. Fired him after we won an ACC championship in spite of him. Hired grow. Then fired him after he refused to change what he was doing leading to horrible losses. Wanted to hire Charles Kelly. Was told he had to hire roof. 2013 was actually not a bad defensive year. and 2014 was turnover heavy. Then when roof started to go off the rails he did in fact constantly say he was trying to get things fixed. and roof left after the defensive collapse against duke in 2017. Because he was going to be fired. Woody was left with a bunch of kids that had a lot of work to do as roof phoned it in in 2017.

Johnson did take responsibility for his defenses but cooardinators have to be allowed to coordinate. You can't do everything. Even Saban doesn't "take over" his defense when things are going south. He seeks to correct it and I have remember for the past couple years him complaining about needing to play better there and defensive let downs. Yet he keeps the same Coordinator. What likely happened with roof was week to week he had a good game plan. Something spooked him and after 2014 was so successful on the bend don't break side of things he chased that.

Its entirely possible the miss on woody (who wasn't a miss army managed to have a great defense under him) Contributed to him deciding to hang it up.
Probably should figure out how to enshrine this post in some archive so we can pull it out whenever someone starts rewriting history. You describe exactly how it went down. Anyone who followed the program closely at that time, and didn’t have an agenda, could see the bind Johnson was in as well as read between the lines of his comments.

My only slight disagreement is that I think Woody would have been a good DC for us. I just think CPJ was tired of fighting the hill and didn’t feel like he could wait for Woody to turn the defense around.

Sounds like we are finally going to get at Tech what CPJ asked for for years. Even if he had had the support Collins got we would be in a different place. Let’s rejoice in that and hope we never again hamstring a head coach like we did Johnson.

JacketFan137

Banned
You must not have been paying attention to the screaming matches on the sideline. Roof was a legend at Tech and CPJ had little control over what he could do with him.

You seem to turn every freaking thread into an anti-CPJ jab. Give it a rest already.
didn’t know criticism of paul was so taboo. he’s just as responsible for the defense as roof. both deserve criticism for the product on the field bottom line

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Those were hillarious. Andy Mac said the language on the head phones was festive. As i understood it , cpj would let dc bend but not break unless near half or end of game. Cpj wanted ball w time to drive and score. After one of roofs final games, Andy said that will be last time that happens.

SO the head coach must have control over oc and dc

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

Being a defensive coordinator has been a tough way to make a living for 20 years now. Rule changes have usually benefited the offenses who did not need much help anyway. Receivers keep getting bigger, stronger, faster and quarterbacks keep getting better all the time. A truly great defense now is about as rare as hen's teeth though they do exist like UGA and Clemson. I watched a bunch of games last week and the one common thread seemed to be that teams who can get pressure on the quarterbacks in critical situations win. It seems to be increasingly hard to do that without blitzing and leaving yourself open to big plays. IIWII

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Being a defensive coordinator has been a tough way to make a living for 20 years now. Rule changes have usually benefited the offenses who did not need much help anyway. Receivers keep getting bigger, stronger, faster and quarterbacks keep getting better all the time. A truly great defense now is about as rare as hen's teeth though they do exist like UGA and Clemson. I watched a bunch of games last week and the one common thread seemed to be that teams who can get pressure on the quarterbacks in critical situations win. It seems to be increasingly hard to do that without blitzing and leaving yourself open to big plays. IIWII
It’s beyond stupid how much the rules now favor the offense.

DPI is just a joke. What used to be viewed as a bad throw is now grounds for interference as long as the receiver makes some attempt to look like he’s going to catch the ball. In the old days the defender had just as much right to his spot on the field as the receiver…and the if the ball hit him in the back then it wasn’t DPI…now it’s an automatic flag.

Holding on the D line? Please…we were taught to do that.

The defense is already at a severe disadvantage in that they don’t know the play. They should have some ability to do some stuff the offense can’t to make it equal. And for a long time it was…not so much anymore.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Certainly “pressure” is critical... not contact though... That’s a penalty.