Ted Roof having fun

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
A few quotes from Ted Roof in AJC article:

"I've enjoyed every day I've stepped on the football field to coach, but I'm having a lot of fun this spring."

"There's a good vibe"

"We're nowhere where we need to be, ... I'm pleased with how far we've come."

He's scaled back on the size of the playbook being installed in the Spring to focus on fundamentals. He's excited about the overall attentiveness and effort.

Our offense has been at least decent every year but 2010. I'm not worried about our offense, and if Roof's optimism for our D pans out, we could have a really good season.

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
I was sold on Roof when I talked to someone at GT and they said "hands down he will be the best recruiter we have on staff the minute he gets on campus"

I love his passion for GT.
I've always tried to make the case that he's a better DC than most people think. His teams performed better here than anyone not named Tenuta in the past 20 years or so.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
I think it took some time for Ted to really understand how to craft a defense. The combination of his experience as a player and his experience as a coach has allowed him to become an excellent DC.

If nothing else (and there is a lot of else), the players are crystal clear about their responsibilities and their obligations to the defense as a whole and to their fellow defenders. This is a good thing.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We can't forget that the guy was just cutting his teeth as a DC the first stint with O'Leary. As we all have hopefully done, Ted has progressed in his career. Obviously he has kept learning. You have to love his apparent ability to communicate.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
It's hard to judge a coaches ability unless you have a real good handle on the talent he has at his disposal. I think a lot of the heat he got under O'leary was due to a lack of talent. Just my opinion. Think he had a mixed bag of talent at Aubie...couple great players the rest average. What I trust most in a coach's evaluation....because I'm not in the film room or on the practice field etc...is other coaches' opinions of their peers and coworkers. Roof has ALWAYS received high praise from his bosses and peers.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Well. Ted loves tech more than anyone on pauls staff

Ted will put more effort in

Ted wants to be here

Its his dream job

Now we can get into x and os

My only complaint is he typically adjusts at half. Would love to see the first adjustment after q1.

Otherwise he is doing a nice job here so far.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
I've always been a huge Roof fan. He and his family are very nice people.

Roof was a good recruiter at Duke for the little funding they had and how they were a laughingstock of a program back then. He was able to get a 5* defensive tackle out of Texas to choose Duke over almost every school in the Big 12. That was Vince Oghobaase, but he never reached his potential because he suffered major knee injuries. Roof did a good job with Thad Lewis and some of their linebackers and safeties that Cutcliffe inherited. People like to give Cutcliffe a ton of credit which he deserves, but Roof was the one who got them to start spending more money paying assistant coaches and building better football facilities. The football facilities Duke had in the Carl Franks era and beginning of Roof era were a huge joke. Roof signed the guys like Thad Lewis, Matt Daniels, Donovan Varner, Vinny Rey, Michael Tauillii, and Patrick Anunike (starting DE on this year's Duke team) who became big team leaders on Cutcliffe coached teams to lay the groundwork for them to get back to being a bowl team.

I know alot of you guys will remember after leaving Tech Billy O'Brien was calling the plays for Roof at Duke before leaving to go to Patriots. Amazing how he is now head coach of Houston Texans.

And obviously Roof would love to be a head coach again and talking to his wife in Atlanta when I saw them last year at Dillards she mentioned that she is tired of moving around and will be here for the long run which hinted to me that he wants to be Tech head coach one day.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Well. Ted loves tech more than anyone on pauls staff

Ted will put more effort in

Ted wants to be here

Its his dream job

Now we can get into x and os

My only complaint is he typically adjusts at half. Would love to see the first adjustment after q1.

Otherwise he is doing a nice job here so far.
I go back and forth in my mind on adjusting in the 2nd or 3rd quarter. If you have enough time to practice 4 or 5 expected adjustments, then the 2nd quarter may be okay. Otherwise, I prefer to limit the oppositions' ability to adjust at halftime into something I don't want to see.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I liked the hire, and so far the results on the field have exceeded my expectations.

There is a lot to like about Roof as DC:
  • Effective recruiting staff (Pelton) and players
  • Teaching fundamentals
  • Passion for the program
  • Player development
  • Effective adjustments on the field (when they are made)
I agree with Agustabuzz that we'd all like more adjustments, but I get the sense that Roof knows what he has in the golf bag and pulls out the right club at the right time. If we use all of the adjustments in the first quarter, then we can get out-played in the 4th.

/

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I liked the hire, and so far the results on the field have exceeded my expectations.

There is a lot to like about Roof as DC:
  • Effective recruiting staff (Pelton) and players
  • Teaching fundamentals
  • Passion for the program
  • Player development
  • Effective adjustments on the field (when they are made)
I agree with Agustabuzz that we'd all like more adjustments, but I get the sense that Roof knows what he has in the golf bag and pulls out the right club at the right time. If we use all of the adjustments in the first quarter, then we can get out-played in the 4th.

/
Couldn't agree more - the issue with pre 2Q adjustment is then it tips our hand for the 2nd half.

Especially with the O we have we don't wanna get into that situation. We need the O to keep scoring in the 1st half then put away the game with a lock down 3 and 4Q

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
I've always been a huge Roof fan. He and his family are very nice people.

Roof was a good recruiter at Duke for the little funding they had and how they were a laughingstock of a program back then. He was able to get a 5* defensive tackle out of Texas to choose Duke over almost every school in the Big 12. That was Vince Oghobaase, but he never reached his potential because he suffered major knee injuries. Roof did a good job with Thad Lewis and some of their linebackers and safeties that Cutcliffe inherited. People like to give Cutcliffe a ton of credit which he deserves, but Roof was the one who got them to start spending more money paying assistant coaches and building better football facilities. The football facilities Duke had in the Carl Franks era and beginning of Roof era were a huge joke. Roof signed the guys like Thad Lewis, Matt Daniels, Donovan Varner, Vinny Rey, Michael Tauillii, and Patrick Anunike (starting DE on this year's Duke team) who became big team leaders on Cutcliffe coached teams to lay the groundwork for them to get back to being a bowl team.

I know alot of you guys will remember after leaving Tech Billy O'Brien was calling the plays for Roof at Duke before leaving to go to Patriots. Amazing how he is now head coach of Houston Texans.

And obviously Roof would love to be a head coach again and talking to his wife in Atlanta when I saw them last year at Dillards she mentioned that she is tired of moving around and will be here for the long run which hinted to me that he wants to be Tech head coach one day.
So if we make ted roof HBC and CPJ the OC will all the complainers quit bitching?

NAH- this is georgia tech!!! We can do that!

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
We can't forget that the guy was just cutting his teeth as a DC the first stint with O'Leary. As we all have hopefully done, Ted has progressed in his career. Obviously he has kept learning. You have to love his apparent ability to communicate.

Boomer has it exactly right as he so often does. If you look at his DC record and had never seen his early years with us, you would see a Mickey or Bud.

I've always tried to make the case that he's a better DC than most people think. His teams performed better here than anyone not named Tenuta in the past 20 years or so.
It is a fact that he GOT HIRED AS DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR at several big time programs when those schools basically had the pick of dozens of top flight candidates. He's either a pretty good coach, or a darn good interviewer. The metric for what constitutes good defenses has been changing for years. The rules on hits, qb roughing, intentional grounding, pass defender techniques, etc. are making it more difficult to be a shut down defense any more. It is almost unheard of now to see a 14-10 game, much less 7-3. We are striving for holding teams to 20 or less per game.