Ted Roof Bend but don't Break defense

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Could Nealy play DE?

He cant get off the block of a pulling gaurd or TE. There is no way he can edge rush a OT with long arms made to block taller bigger DE imo. You need a rare size speed strength combo to be a DE that is worth a spit. We only seem to have one DE on this team to be honest.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Could Nealy play DE?
Isn't our main problem at DT? If Kallon had lived up to even half the hype he had gotten before coming to Tech it would make the job for everyone else on the defensive line a lot easier. Not trying to bash the kid just saying that to me our main weakness is DT.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
I'm thinking of writing a review of the Xs and Os of our "defense" v. UNC.
I'm dropping in to say it's a little unfair to accuse Roof of blowing it because of a bend-but-don't-break defense.

The 4th and 6 touchdown, for instance: true Cover 0, with no safety help. That's as attacking as you get. We still got beat.

We're in a tough spot on defense right now. Like most people, I was almost of the opinion that we should let UNC immediately score with 3:00 left in the game, instead of letting them drain the clock. What could we possibly do differently from here on out?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm thinking of writing a review of the Xs and Os of our "defense" v. UNC.
I'm dropping in to say it's a little unfair to accuse Roof of blowing it because of a bend-but-don't-break defense.

The 4th and 6 touchdown, for instance: true Cover 0, with no safety help. That's as attacking as you get. We still got beat.

We're in a tough spot on defense right now. Like most people, I was almost of the opinion that we should let UNC immediately score with 3:00 left in the game, instead of letting them drain the clock. What could we possibly do differently from here on out?

Hindsight is always 20/20...but the best thing for us would have been to have Smelter kneel inside the 5 yard line on that reverse. Don't get me wrong, you can't predict what's going to happen so you have to take the score at that point. Plus, you have to have faith that our defense can make one last stop.

Had we known then what we know now, of course you tell Smelter to kneel down inside the five so we can work the clock some more. Of course, speculation is fool's gold, just something to think about other than the misery of losing.

txsting

Jolly Good Fellow
I am soooooooooo tired of this bend but don;'t break defense, A good high school offense could score 30 points on this defense and this stupid stradegey, We can't be this bad
I agree. If we are going to fail, fail fast and get more possessions. We have such an efficient offense that we only need a handful of stops (depending on how many turnovers we have). We should take wild chances and not be afraid to get burned against a UNC. Against lousy teams (VT , miami), bend don't break probably makes more sense, because those offenses will get themselves off the field, given time.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
But seriously think about what it would be like as players on a team if in the game your head coach tells a player to NOT take the quick TD when a play breaks open because it would be taking the lead "too fast" . . . when you are behind!! It is completely different then the VT game when CPJ purposefully worked very slowly down the field in a tied ballgame so as to score with no time on the clock. Also, same with telling the defense to just let UNC score "because it was inevitable" and "everyone knew they were going to drive down the field and win it with no time left." Yes, we fans all felt that way. But seriously try and think about being the head coach and telling your defense to just let UNC get a TD in one play intentionally? That is to give up a lead intentionally! CPJ did this "let them score" against UGA that one game because we were down (losing!) by a point at the time . . . and Richt admitted to being outcoached there because he had not told his offense to just get a first down and take a knee rather than run in for the TD.

Seriously, it is unfathomable for me to think of a head coach saying that to his defensive players and coaches. Talk about causing a rift between "o" and "d"?

It is totally different at the end of a game when you are losing first (hence Smelter can't take a knee) and then have a lead (hence the defense can't "let" the offense score quickly). The game played out where the Defense had to stop UNC to get the win. Sure, none of us had any confidence that they could actually do it. But you cannot be a head coach of a team and do what us fans may want even if it seems coldly rational and pragmatic as a way to win. (Lots of italics here, I feel strongly about this I guess :) ).

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Good points @Bruce Wayne and my comment above was totally tongue-in-cheek. This isn't a video game or something where strategy like that might work.
Yeah good point. I know I showed a lot of emphasis on this in a few threads. However, I also know many of you are not "serious" about suggesting these decisions getting made in the game. Like I said I had the exact same thoughts like @Longestday and others. But I read some of the posters at least initially thinking CPJ should seriously have instructed the O to not score quickly and Smelter to take a knee and same with telling the D when you have the lead to just lie down and let UNC score quick.

So my emphatic reaction that this would just be terrible for a coach of a team (all players on O and D) to do in the game itself in the situations the team faced Saturday is only based on thinking that some people really saw those as viable options.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
The 'let the other team score' bit is more interesting to me as a strategy. I never faced a situation that would potentially warrant that call as a coach, so I'm not sure how I'd play it.

I'm not sure of the timing of the last drive but we can imagine a few situations. They need 2 points to win- at what point and where on the field do you let them score a touchdown?

Do they need to get past the 50 yard line? The 30, such that all they need is a 46ish yard field goal? The 20?

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Biggest concerns I see:

1-We don't blitz enough and when we do blitz it is often at the wrong time.

2-Our front 4 can't get a pass rush.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
The 'let the other team score' bit is more interesting to me as a strategy. I never faced a situation that would potentially warrant that call as a coach, so I'm not sure how I'd play it.

I'm not sure of the timing of the last drive but we can imagine a few situations. They need 2 points to win- at what point and where on the field do you let them score a touchdown?

Do they need to get past the 50 yard line? The 30, such that all they need is a 46ish yard field goal? The 20?
At least you are acknowledging that for this to really be a strategic decision for a coach to make he has got to really play it just right or else he is basically telling his D and their coaches that he thinks they blow and has zero faith in them to do what they always aim to do, namely, stop the opponent's offense.

When your head coach is also the offensive coordinator then I would think not provoking a locker room split of O versus D becomes a more serious concern for you to factor in as well. We are talking about non-professional 18-22 year olds after all.

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Yes, that's definitely an issue. I know our defensive guys want to win, none of them are intentionally slacking. Screw up the "let them score" strategy and all of a sudden you're taking the heat from the media AND a whole half of the team.

Defense came up with a huge stop v. VT. That offense wasn't as good as UNC's, but you want to believe we have the ability to do it again.

Declinometer

Banned
I agree. If we are going to fail, fail fast and get more possessions. We have such an efficient offense that we only need a handful of stops (depending on how many turnovers we have). We should take wild chances and not be afraid to get burned against a UNC. Against lousy teams (VT , miami), bend don't break probably makes more sense, because those offenses will get themselves off the field, given time.
I hear people saying that but you would burn about 30 secs. Set the chains, the clock starts running. Run the ball and no score, timeout NC. You now better start thinking about punching it in. Hopefully score next play but if not NC calls another TO. You really don't burn much more clock and you may not score.

Jackets_912

Georgia Tech Fan
I heard this the other day (and I'm sure its been mentioned before) that, when recruiting defensive players, opposing coaches constantly mention how bad it is for defenses to practice against our 3O offense in daily practices and most of our top guys turn away. Any truth to that?

worthco jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I heard this the other day (and I'm sure its been mentioned before) that, when recruiting defensive players, opposing coaches constantly mention how bad it is for defenses to practice against our 3O offense in daily practices and most of our top guys turn away. Any truth to that?
No, it is BS. 90% of defense is getting off blocks and tackling the ball carrier. Taking proper angles and driving the man backwards while wrapping up. Watch Jemea Thomas from last year. Picture perfect technique. Our guys are doing entirely too much arm tackling and we are taking bad angles while not getting off blocks in the open field. It should be noted however, that Carolina's wide receivers did a fantastic job of sealing the outside lanes and blocking our corners.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Didn't we let an opponent score "too fast" on purpose a few years back so we could work the clock in our favor?