Tech's Honeycomb Helmet Voted #1 Ugliest Helmet In College Football

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Here we go with the uni thread again and here I go again.

I liked late era Dodd with the addition of the interlocking GT on the helmet, white jerseys and gold pants.
I liked the white helmets and mustard motif of the Carson era, used as throw back jerseys when Calvin was with the team.
I liked the blue jerseys used by Ross in the National Championship season.

I personally wish that Tech would use these 3 combos exclusively through the course of the season, depending on venue, opponent and significance of the game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I have read that the Dodd era unis used dark blue for trim not black. Black is not even listed as a tertiary color in Tech official guides. But blues always has been.
Nope. It was black. See:

http://www.thesportsdesignblog.com/2011/09/16/uniform-concept-georgia-tech-football/

And look at the bravos in the first picture and at Eddie. The numbers are in black. Marco, the last pic, is in navy blue.

Scroll down here and you'll see Pat Swilling in a black uni:

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/2011/2/25/1983187/atlanta-sports-history-jersey-numbers

They called it the Black Watch for a reason. And, let's face it, that is one good looking jersey.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Nope. It was black. See:

http://www.thesportsdesignblog.com/2011/09/16/uniform-concept-georgia-tech-football/

And look at the bravos in the first picture and at Eddie. The numbers are in black. Marco, the last pic, is in navy blue.

Scroll down here and you'll see Pat Swilling in a black uni:

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/2011/2/25/1983187/atlanta-sports-history-jersey-numbers

They called it the Black Watch for a reason. And, let's face it, that is one good looking jersey.

Nope. I am not seeing the same thing you are.

2013-georgia-tech-russell-throwback-uniform-675x380.jpg

These throw back uniforms are what I remember. Dark blue trim that some mistake for black. When I was a small child and everyone in Atlanta worshiped Dodd we had the white jerseys to play in that had the dark blue trim.

I hated the black watch uniforms for several reasons. One was that it introduced a new color scheme that was more Army, Iowa, Central Florida and Colorado than it was Tech. For a list of the official uniform colors by college team see
http://www.1122productions.com/tradition/colors/

Black has never been an official color.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I have read that the Dodd era unis used dark blue for trim not black. Black is not even listed as a tertiary color in Tech official guides. But blues always has been.

Way before GT started wearing G/W/G, blue shirts were often worn.

But after G/W/G became the standard, The trim color was Black - consistently.

The main thing to me is that, going forward, ALL orgs., groups, teams, marketing uses the same trim color.

Milwaukee

Banned
Since it's a uni thread:

The Gailey Era unis are the best we've ever worn. Gold at home with white bottoms, white on the road with gold bottoms, blue alternates with white bottoms for the ACC title game. Don't ever touch the gold helmet with the white GT logo, it's gorgeous as is.

Clean, classic, sharp.

Those were the best "looking" teams, even rocking the Russell, those squads still looked tight.

kittysniper101

Jolly Good Fellow
Since it's a uni thread:

The Gailey Era unis are the best we've ever worn. Gold at home with white bottoms, white on the road with gold bottoms, blue alternates with white bottoms for the ACC title game. Don't ever touch the gold helmet with the white GT logo, it's gorgeous as is.

Clean, classic, sharp.

Those were the best "looking" teams, even rocking the Russell, those squads still looked tight.

I'd be happy with this and the all whites for white-out games. Keeps a consistent branding image if we can actually stick to the right colors and not change shade every year.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I'm still in awe of our 2014 Orange Bowl jerseys. Seeing our guys run out in those took my breath away. I'm sure the moment had something to do with how much I love them, but I would not have any issue with wearing those as our alternate uniform every time.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I don't like the honeycomb. Do what you want to the jerseys, but the gold helmets are perfect. Leave them alone.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
Could it be that, since real Navy Blue looks black under certain lighting conditions, we've thought we've used black on some uniforms?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Could it be that, since real Navy Blue looks black under certain lighting conditions, we've thought we've used black on some uniforms?
Yes.
Black has been used for sure but some people are mistaking the deep navy for black, in my opinion. Black is not an official color for Tech whereas Blue is an accepted tertiary color. In the photo of the throw back jersey look at the black of the face guard on the helmet and compare that to the navy blue of the shoulder stripe and I think you will see a difference.

But at different times there have been attempts to run black by us as an official color. My complaint with that is that we end up looking more like Iowa than Tech.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I think the UVa throwbacks are GT's best look, but the honeycomb helmets are sharp. (then again, I think GT's "standard" look is kind of boring, which I know makes me a pariah here :))

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
We don't have a uniform. We just wear whatever someone thinks is cute for that given game. It should be simple. White shirts, gold pants and gold helmets with our old traditional look. Just wear them every time you take the field and then it becomes a uniform. Something everyone associated with the program can identify with.

Go Jackets!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have my preference as to what looks better, but to be honest, I could care less. I have worn some pretty ugly baseball unis over the course of my life and never cared one bit. It didn't affect my play and it didn't matter. As long as I can figure out which team is TECH when they take the field, I am fine. Whatever. Play the game.