Tech's defensive innovation in 1931

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
If you enjoy Tech football history, if you enjoy learning about the development of schemes over the decades, you'll enjoy this obscure bit of football history.

The 1931 game between Florida and Georgia Tech was a clash of two future College Football Hall of Fame coaches, both of whom were enduring two-win seasons. (Tech won this game, 23-0.) Florida coach Charlie Bachman had played for Notre Dame and was an All-America offensive guard, and eventually became a coach, his five-year stint with Florida coming before a grand 14-year run at Michigan State where the Spartans went 79-34-10 in that period.

Tech, of course, was coached by William Alexander, whose 25 year record at Tech was 134-95-15 despite the 1929 through 1934 seasons being a rough go of 17-38-3.

Retired quite a while as of 1969, Bachman then wrote and self-published a booklet setting out a modernized version of the “Notre Dame Box” offense (a modified single-wing); toward the end of the booklet, in a discussion of defenses, he had some interesting remarks about the 1931 game with Tech.

In 1931 our Florida team played Bill Alexander’s Georgia Tech team in Atlanta. It was in this game that we got our first look at a defensive maneuver that came to be known as ‘shooting the gap,’ or later as red-dogging. Against our Notre Dame shift formation Bill’s team used the regular over-shifted 6-2 defense with their fullback [modern term – linebacker] playing about 2 feet behind the line and in the gap between our end and tackle.

On wide plays to his side the defensive fullback crashed through this gap and into our backfield where he caused all kinds of trouble, which included two fumbles. . . .

It seemed that the Georgia Tech incident was the beginning of what became known in collegiate circles as ‘screwy defenses.’ Some teams smashed their ends and drifted their tackle to cover the outside. Others slanted their lines, and others widened their lines and placed their linebackers on the inside. Stacked defenses became common, in fact, coaches got a look at about every type of defense with variations that the human mind could conceive. A further development of the original Georgia Tech maneuver is the present day blitz, where linebackers and occasionally a free safety in various defense patterns break through the line to rush the passer and break up any other play that may develop. . . . “

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
If you enjoy Tech football history, if you enjoy learning about the development of schemes over the decades, you'll enjoy this obscure bit of football history.

The 1931 game between Florida and Georgia Tech was a clash of two future College Football Hall of Fame coaches, both of whom were enduring two-win seasons. (Tech won this game, 23-0.) Florida coach Charlie Bachman had played for Notre Dame and was an All-America offensive guard, and eventually became a coach, his five-year stint with Florida coming before a grand 14-year run at Michigan State where the Spartans went 79-34-10 in that period.

Tech, of course, was coached by William Alexander, whose 25 year record at Tech was 134-95-15 despite the 1929 through 1934 seasons being a rough go of 17-38-3.

Retired quite a while as of 1969, Bachman then wrote and self-published a booklet setting out a modernized version of the “Notre Dame Box” offense (a modified single-wing); toward the end of the booklet, in a discussion of defenses, he had some interesting remarks about the 1931 game with Tech.

In 1931 our Florida team played Bill Alexander’s Georgia Tech team in Atlanta. It was in this game that we got our first look at a defensive maneuver that came to be known as ‘shooting the gap,’ or later as red-dogging. Against our Notre Dame shift formation Bill’s team used the regular over-shifted 6-2 defense with their fullback [modern term – linebacker] playing about 2 feet behind the line and in the gap between our end and tackle.

On wide plays to his side the defensive fullback crashed through this gap and into our backfield where he caused all kinds of trouble, which included two fumbles. . . .

It seemed that the Georgia Tech incident was the beginning of what became known in collegiate circles as ‘screwy defenses.’ Some teams smashed their ends and drifted their tackle to cover the outside. Others slanted their lines, and others widened their lines and placed their linebackers on the inside. Stacked defenses became common, in fact, coaches got a look at about every type of defense with variations that the human mind could conceive. A further development of the original Georgia Tech maneuver is the present day blitz, where linebackers and occasionally a free safety in various defense patterns break through the line to rush the passer and break up any other play that may develop. . . . “

That 6-2 hung around for a long time. The split 60 used by among others, UGA and Virginia Tech was I presume a variant of that original defense. Others more knowledgeable may wish to correct me but I am thinking UGA used that split 60 into the 1980s and Virginia Tech was using it until the latter part of the decade and possibly into the early 1990s. Don't think any colleges are using it now. It is in the dustbin of history along with 50, the wide tackle 6, the 7 diamond, the 4-4 and Christ alone knows what else.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
From little roots great things grow.

I went to Sewanee - the University of the South - for my undergrad degree. We had two members in the College Football Hall of Fame: Henry Disbrow Phillips ("The Blond Giant") and Frank Juhan. Phillips was there because of the 1899 season where the Tigers went 12 - 0. No surprise: he was 6'4", 240lbs. in a football world of 5'9" 180lb players. Fun fact = they both ended up as Anglican bishops, a distinction never met by another school.

I was lucky enough to be at Sewanee before Bishop Juhan died. He made it to the Hall because he was the first linebacker. He told me about that once. Quote the Bishop: "We were playing Vandy and I was at defensive end. I was getting tired of being in a four-point stance and decided I'd get up and stand where I was. I suddenly realized that I could see what was going on in their backfield and moved to the center of the field so I could see better. I made the next three tackles and started to move back to my old position when the coach yelled at me to get back to where I had been playing. I stayed there."

Some people say Germany Schultz was the first LB. I say: bushwah. It was the Bishop, who steadfastly maintained that he did it in 1907, a year before Schultz. I'll stick with that. Shows how much sheer chance can play a role in football, however.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
http://www.sewaneetigers.com/documents/1899Team Mentions famous teams of old, Four horsemen, 7 blocks of granite, The Chinese bandits. But no team has done what the 1899 Tigers did. Sewanee has an interesting football history.
Takethepoints what class were you at Sewanee? I was class of 56.
So I have a question for the CFHF thingy done in 2012, why is BYU '84 and Auburn 2010 among the teams challenging to be the best of all time? Am I missing something?

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
So I have a question for the CFHF thingy done in 2012, why is BYU '84 and Auburn 2010 among the teams challenging to be the best of all time? Am I missing something?
Different times, different game. The Chinese bandits existed because specialty players didn't exist. Had to play both ways. Very limited substitution.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Different times, different game. The Chinese bandits existed because specialty players didn't exist. Had to play both ways. Very limited substitution.
I get that and understand the argument that could be made for most of the teams except BYU 84 and Auburn 2010. Many people questioned and still do if BYU was the best team that year much less all time and Auburn seamed like nothing special to me as far as national title teams. By the way I am referring to the bracket at the bottom of the article. The idea of the bracket is very cool to think about though. I remember getting a College football preview one time where they did just that. To see the reasoning and everything they went through to see who was included and who would win each game was awesome. They would only take one team from a university etc. I wish I still had it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
http://www.sewaneetigers.com/documents/1899Team Mentions famous teams of old, Four horsemen, 7 blocks of granite, The Chinese bandits. But no team has done what the 1899 Tigers did. Sewanee has an interesting football history.
Takethepoints what class were you at Sewanee? I was class of 56.
You just missed the 1958 undefeated team!

I was out in 1969. One year before the place went co-ed (the story of my life, btw).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
From little roots great things grow.

I went to Sewanee - the University of the South - for my undergrad degree. We had two members in the College Football Hall of Fame: Henry Disbrow Phillips ("The Blond Giant") and Frank Juhan. Phillips was there because of the 1899 season where the Tigers went 12 - 0. No surprise: he was 6'4", 240lbs. in a football world of 5'9" 180lb players. Fun fact = they both ended up as Anglican bishops, a distinction never met by another school.

I was lucky enough to be at Sewanee before Bishop Juhan died. He made it to the Hall because he was the first linebacker. He told me about that once. Quote the Bishop: "We were playing Vandy and I was at defensive end. I was getting tired of being in a four-point stance and decided I'd get up and stand where I was. I suddenly realized that I could see what was going on in their backfield and moved to the center of the field so I could see better. I made the next three tackles and started to move back to my old position when the coach yelled at me to get back to where I had been playing. I stayed there."

Some people say Germany Schultz was the first LB. I say: bushwah. It was the Bishop, who steadfastly maintained that he did it in 1907, a year before Schultz. I'll stick with that. Shows how much sheer chance can play a role in football, however.

The SEC was never the same after Sewanee left...