Tech vs Tenn 1962

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer

Some of these plays may look somewhat familiar.

The last season for Tennessee head coach Bowden Wyatt(1955-1962). Tennessee went 4-6 in 1962 running the single wing offense. He decided to hang it up as well as retire as Tennessee athletic director because of a stomach ailment which I believe caused his death a few years later.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
The last season for Tennessee head coach Bowden Wyatt(1955-1962). Tennessee went 4-6 in 1962 running the single wing offense. He decided to hang it up as well as retire as Tennessee athletic director because of a stomach ailment which I believe caused his death a few years later.
It was the same year General Neyland died IIRC. Dodd loved his old coach to the point that he didn't want to play UT until the General left.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
It was the same year General Neyland died IIRC. Dodd loved his old coach to the point that he didn't want to play UT until the General left.
Bobby Dodd said Bowden Wyatt used to ask him before every GT-UT game "How can you take this pressure?". Bowden Wyatt couldn't handle it because of stomach problems(probably cancer) and bleeding ulcers. Bobby Dodd said he enjoyed the pressure because he considered it to be a challenge. General Robert Neyland died at his home in New Orleans in 1962.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I actually remember that game. Thanks for finding the film.

And it was good to see Joe Auer run again. He would have been one of the baddest ABs ever. As big as Orwin Smith and a step faster. Also the only Tech football player to ever keep a lion as a pet. They forced him to give the creature up as it got older and scared the neighbors, but Auer always insisted that he was just a big pussycat. True, in a way …

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I actually remember that game. Thanks for finding the film.

And it was good to see Joe Auer run again. He would have been one of the baddest ABs ever. As big as Orwin Smith and a step faster. Also the only Tech football player to ever keep a lion as a pet. They forced him to give the creature up as it got older and scared the neighbors, but Auer always insisted that he was just a big pussycat. True, in a way …
Joe Auer was my first football "hero". Yes, he and Craig Baynham would've made a nasty set of ABs.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
Joe Auer was my first football "hero". Yes, he and Craig Baynham would've made a nasty set of ABs.
Leon Hardeman and Billy Teas would have been great ABs. I used to know an old time GT fan who once told be that he thought Billy Teas was the greatest GT running back he had ever seen. Too bad he was thrown off the team in 1954 for never being around when Bobby Dodd called him and his wife's home for bed check.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Leon Hardeman and Billy Teas would have been great ABs. I used to know an old time GT fan who once told be that he thought Billy Teas was the greatest GT running back he had ever seen. Too bad he was thrown off the team in 1954 for never being around when Bobby Dodd called him and his wife's home for bed check.
My Dad once told me almost the same thing, except he thought Eddie Lee Ivery was the greatest after Clint Castleberry.