1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Tech vs. Clemson

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Baseball' started by forensicbuzz, May 23, 2014.

1. forensicbuzz

forensicbuzz Helluva Engineer

Clemson beat Miami.

Clemson 2-0
    GT 1-1
    Duke 1-1
    Miami 0-2

We go on if we win and Duke loses. If we lose, Clemson goes.

What is the tie breaker if we win and Duke wins? Three teams with 2-1 records.

2. Stinger90

Stinger90 Helluva Engineer

They look at the series head-to-head in the regular season which we won against Duke. Other than that, Clemson wins.

3. Stinger90

4. GTNavyNuke

GTNavyNuke Helluva Engineer Featured Member

I think a three way GT, Clemson and Duke tie (all 2-1) goes to Duke. That's because the first tiebreaker for a three way tie is regular season conference winning %. http://www.theacc.com/#!/page/baseball-championship-determination-pool-play

As I said yesterday, we just need to beat Clemson. Then watch tomorrow starting at 11 to see if Miami beats Duke. If we win 3 of 4, that's good. In bigger ballparks we will do better since we don't hit many HRs.

Really good wiki site for summary of ACC tournament at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Atlantic_Coast_Conference_Baseball_Tournament

5. GTNavyNuke

GT and Clemson are essentially the same -
    I like our pitching today Stanton should start as he is our best starter with 2.13 ERA. http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2013-2014/teamcume.html No way do I see Stanton being saved for a speculative Sunday game. Hall saved all of our best relievers yesterday.

We are playing well - no errors for three games and good pitching. Continue to rack up the DPs. Just need to hit more.

For tomorrow, Miami is 16th and Duke is 81st. No way Miami drops all three. So we win today and I'll feel very good about our Sunday chances.

6. awbuzz

awbuzz Helluva Engineer

Just need to win today then let the chips fall... Nothing else to be done.

7. Stinger90

Thanks Nuke for that. My thinking was off.

8. GTNavyNuke

NP, I didn't know till I went back to the source. It really would have been nice to have won a few more conference games and have played one less game. It would have given us a regular starter for Sunday.

Any thoughts on who you would pitch for us Sunday?

Grimes would be my guess since he pitched on Tuesday......... I have heard that King could pitch, but he hasn't pitched in a game in months has he? I wouldn't start him, just have him a potential reliever. We are going to be in great pitching shape next year if King and Pitts are healthy ......

9. Stinger90

I think your right about Grimes. I saw on tweeter about certain scenarios about pitching. Can't seem to find it now because of time. I'm trying to tie things up (childcare(workers) and jobs) here so I can make it to the game.

Go Jackets !!

10. dmurdock

dmurdock Ramblin' Wreck

Interesting that Clemson, at 2-0 in the bracket, is in a win or go home situation. Win and they are in the Championship Game, lose and they are eliminated.

11. GTNavyNuke

Just getting ready ....... looks like MD may win the other bracket. Fricking MD has beaten UVa yesterday and then FSU today. The best ACC teams aren't going to be in the finals ..... FSU, UVa and Miami.

Or the baseball song ......

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  12. GTNavyNuke

Wow, Dusty starting. He probably will get 70 or so pitches if he has the control?? But makes sense.

I guess Stanton would definitely start on Sunday if we make it there.

13. Eric

Eric Retired Co-Founder Staff Member

We left runners on the corners to end the top half of the first.

14. Eric

GT with the strike em out and throw em out double play.

71 on the season which ties the GT single season record!

15. Eric

Justus leads the second off with a single.

16. GTNavyNuke

And a walk ... two on and no outs. Just poured the first beer after cleaning the keg. It'll taste better if we start scoring.

And Peurifoy sacs to put runners 2nd and third, 1 out ........

Balls, another two stranded. At least we are getting the pitch count up. Schmidt has 33 pitches after 2. Dusty 11 after 1.

17. Eric

Gold walked!

Getting that pitch count up early.

18. Eric

Come on, need some runs here.

19. Eric

Nothing for the Jackets.

Cant afford to waste those opportunities.

20. Eric

0-0 going to the third.