Tech recreceivers making $$$

The past few years have been banner years for WRs from Ga. High Schools and we haven't signed any of the top, elite guys, so far the exploits of Bey-Bey and Calvin have done nothing for GT's recruiting of WRs.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
The past few years have been banner years for WRs from Ga. High Schools and we haven't signed any of the top, elite guys, so far the exploits of Bey-Bey and Calvin have done nothing for GT's recruiting of WRs.
Why are you airways so negative? I understand we haven't signed a bunch of four and five star recruits, but since when has that ever been the standard at tech? I think having these guys be successful in the NFL certainly helps our cause. Top receivers recruited by us always mention DT and CJ. I think the biggest issue with our recruiting recently has been the amount of staff turnover. Looks like things are stabilizing, and CTR and CMP seem to be very solid recruiters. Not trying to jump on you or anything, just try to look on the positive side of things every once on a while.

How much are those "banner" guys getting paid right now?

Not important, all I care about is that we start to get the Kerry Watkins type guys into the program at WR so that we can improve our passing game and hopefully win more FB games.

Too many good HS WRs have come out of Ga. High Schools for GT to not get more of our fair share.

Why are you airways so negative? I understand we haven't signed a bunch of four and five star recruits, but since when has that ever been the standard at tech? I think having these guys be successful in the NFL certainly helps our cause. Top receivers recruited by us always mention DT and CJ. I think the biggest issue with our recruiting recently has been the amount of staff turnover. Looks like things are stabilizing, and CTR and CMP seem to be very solid recruiters. Not trying to jump on you or anything, just try to look on the positive side of things every once on a while.

I tend to default towards the truthful side of everything.

We are no longer getting the Kerry Watkins and Kelly Campbell type WRs that GT used to get by the boatload.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
Not important, all I care about is that we start to get the Kerry Watkins type guys into the program at WR so that we can improve our passing game and hopefully win more FB games.

Too many good HS WRs have come out of Ga. High Schools for GT to not get more of our fair share.
So you're one of those who thinks our lack of passing is the reason we haven't done so well. Guess youve been changing the channel every time our defense has been of the field.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

We are no longer getting the Kerry Watkins and Kelly Campbell type WRs that GT used to get by the boatload.

I think the difference between the quality of our receivers and how we're using them has affected your assessment. We have 4 receivers on NFL rosters, three as likely starters from the last 4 years. Watkins spent most of his career as a CFL guy, iirc.

I think Smelter, Summers, and Autry would all thrive in pass-first offense in a way comparable to the previous guys.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

So we're not getting KC and KW types... But we got the best two WRs in the world since then. And have produced 3 NFL wideouts under CPJ. You're right. Times are tough.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I'm lost as to who were these top WR are from GA that are playing everywhere else but GT.

So we're not getting KC and KW types... But we got the best two WRs in the world since then. And have produced 3 NFL wideouts under CPJ. You're right. Times are tough.

Haven't we ranked in the mid-100s in passing over the last 4 years?

Does that help us win games?

Does it force defenses to play us honestly and open up other parts of the Offense?

I'm lost as to who were these top WR are from GA that are playing everywhere else but GT.

2 of them are in Athens that CPJ wanted really bad; Chris Conley and Justin Scott-Wesley.

We weaken our in State rival and make us better at the same time, and it occurs in Feb. with no special game-scheming from our coaches.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Haven't we ranked in the mid-100s in passing over the last 4 years?

Does that help us win games?

Does it force defenses to play us honestly and open up other parts of the Offense?

Yeah, that was the point of my post about the difference between wrs and our use of them. The ranking to which you refer is for total yards. We don't throw as often and so have fewer passing yards.

If you look at yds/attempt, you'll see that we've been 1st or 2nd in 3 of 6 years, iirc. So, yes, it helps us win games etc

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
2 of them are in Athens that CPJ wanted really bad; Chris Conley and Justin Scott-Wesley.

We weaken our in State rival and make us better at the same time, and it occurs in Feb. with no special game-scheming from our coaches.
Maybe I'm confused (it happens often) but I think you are on the wrong fan blog. This is GT Swarm - as in Georgia Tech.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder

those guys are elite?! come on..you can't be serious.