Tech ranks 24th for ESPN’s preseason FPI rankings.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Computer models this early are pointless. Even Sagarin states that the first three or four games into the season are biased.(Not in favor of certain teams of conferences, but with non-connected data that he has to put in to start the year) It takes three or four games until the teams are connected enough for him to remove the bias. At this point, all of the data put in is either historic or highly subjective. Not even close to a good bases for a computer model.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to make an FPI prediction for both offense and defense. Mine will be right, and ESPN will be wrong. My prediction is that the offense does not finish #9 and the defense does not finish #50.
Predictions of whether the actual numbers would be over or under would be interesting. Depending on the stat used I would guess 10-20 on offense and 40-50 on defense.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm going to make an FPI prediction for both offense and defense. Mine will be right, and ESPN will be wrong. My prediction is that the offense does not finish #9 and the defense does not finish #50.

I'll wager you're right about the offense but wrong about the defense. Better coaching and a more aggressive style will make this year's defense a lot better then last year's.

Deleted member 2897

I'll wager you're right about the offense but wrong about the defense. Better coaching and a more aggressive style will make this year's defense a lot better then last year's.

I was being my typical super cynical obnoxious self - meaning I wasn't saying offense or defense wouldn't be better or worse necessarily than those numbers, but rather just that they wouldn't finish exactly #9 and exactly #50. :D

But if I had to actually make a prediction, yea #9 is a really hard ask, so I'd lean to predicting we'd finish worse than #9...while #50 is easier to do better than worse, so I'd predict we beat that.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I was being my typical super cynical obnoxious self - meaning I wasn't saying offense or defense wouldn't be better or worse necessarily than those numbers, but rather just that they wouldn't finish exactly #9 and exactly #50. :D

But if I had to actually make a prediction, yea #9 is a really hard ask, so I'd lean to predicting we'd finish worse than #9...while #50 is easier to do better than worse, so I'd predict we beat that.
I think we will be better in all three units.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer

Did the computer by chance watch the offense the last half of the season? Didn't think so. There is no way that Georgia Tech should be in the top 10 in offense or top 25 overall. Like any fan I am hopeful but then so are fans of Vanderbilt, Tulane, Iowa State etc. If our guys work hard in the summer and improve incrementally during the season then they will prove me wrong until then I would rank them about where the recruiting rankings have been anywhere from mid 30s to top 50.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Did the computer by chance watch the offense the last half of the season? Didn't think so. There is no way that Georgia Tech should be in the top 10 in offense or top 25 overall. Like any fan I am hopeful but then so are fans of Vanderbilt, Tulane, Iowa State etc. If our guys work hard in the summer and improve incrementally during the season then they will prove me wrong until then I would rank them about where the recruiting rankings have been anywhere from mid 30s to top 50.
Could not agree more !!

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
It seems that Tech's offense is always top 25 in FPI since CPJ arrived.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
True, but top 25 is a horse of a different color compared to top 10. The offensive genius of Coach Johnson is never in dispute. The recruiting, special teams, and defense are always "in dispute" so to speak.